• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dental

M

mikie21

im terrified of dentists last vist went ok i had xrays cleaning with gas and papoose board i need fillings and crowns should i be sedated or get gas and papoose board any options i have autism and special needs

Should I go for IV sedation or general anesthesia or mild sedation for dental work ?

I too am terrified of dentists. Its a nightmare for me visiting a dentist. Most of them give anesthetic injections so that we don't panic at the last minute.

Can't possibly answer these questions over the internet, sorry.

Hi mikie21, the use of Papoose boards seems to have some controversy in the United States of America. As suggested by Gordon, it would be a good idea to discuss with a dentist of all your available options and their positive and negative points. I’m not sure how old you are, but it might be an idea to include your parents in that decision.

Are papoose boards (or other methods of restraint) even legal outside the United States? (certainly not in the UK - what about Canada?)

I can't even imagine them being legal in Canada, and had to look the term papoose board up on Google.

I found a 2017 thesis that states it was, maybe still is, used in Canada and in many parts of the world.

The American Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (AAPD) warn about the potential harms of using the papoose boards and indicate to use it only if no other option is available.
From the thesis, available at [broken link removed]

The thesis seems to encourage the use of other techniques, encourage better communications with parents and better rapports with the children, they also suggests giving more time to take a decision and even recommend better training.

Last edited by a moderator:
@geos What an interesting find. Thanks ..

Are papoose boards (or other methods of restraint) even legal outside the United States? (certainly not in the UK - what about Canada?)

Any methods of restraint are illegal in Germany as well.