• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist and staff weirded out by order of procedures, is there an issue they aren't mentioning?

NervousUSA

NervousUSA

I need to have a retained baby molar replaced by an implant, and two wisdom teeth extracted, all on the same side of my mouth.
I am extremely fearful over the whole situation, so came up with the idea to ease myself into more intense procedures and get used to them by getting them done in order of increasing intensity. At my first visit when we were making the treatment plan, the dentist seemed to be planning that I would have all the extractions at the next appointment. I asked the dentist first to extract my baby molar, separately, and he said sure. Though I didn't mention this, my idea was then to do the implant, and then to extract the two wisdom teeth. My treatment plan also showed this order so I thought that was what the dentist had in mind too (they moved the wisdom teeth extractions to the bottom of the list on the plan document).

I went in and got the baby molar extracted and I said when should I come back, and the dentist thought I meant to come back for the other extractions, but I said no, for the implant placement and he was like "oh.....(big pause)....ok" but then started making a plan for that, starting with a cone beam xray. I wish I would have asked him if there was an issue with this order but of course I am always very flustered and anxious over there, and very scared of talking and conversing with anybody at the office.

I was over there this week to get the xray, and when I was at the front desk scheduling the implant procedure the front desk worker (who was a dental assistant) made a comment about the extractions they were still seeing on my treatment plan, seeming confused and saying something like "but there are extractions" and then they said something like "guess the extraction was already done".

My question is if the order I asked for treatment in is very unusual, which is what I think I am sensing from the comments and tone I am hearing from these folks at the dentist office, and if I could actually be harmed by going in this order. I also wonder if I do go in this order, which is right now the plan, if placing the implant body means that there would be a big delay before I could get those wisdom teeth extracted, since they are on the same side as where the implant will be. This order is a lot better for me psychologically/fear wise, because I know exposure and desensitization work for me, but of course I don't want to do something which is bad for my health. I have considered calling the office and asking about this, but feel too afraid to do that, so would appreciate any advise I can get here. Thanks!

Last edited:
My question is if the order I asked for treatment in is very unusual, which is what I think I am sensing from the comments and tone I am hearing from these folks at the dentist office, and if I could actually be harmed by going in this order. I also wonder if I do go in this order, which is right now the plan, if placing the implant body means that there would be a big delay before I could get those wisdom teeth extracted, since they are on the same side as where the implant will be.
It's a bit unusual, but dental staff should be flexible about it.
No you wouldn't be harmed by doing it in that order.
No particular reason for delay with extracting the wisdom teeth when the implant is placed.

@Gordon Thank you so much for your reply! I can't say how much it means to me to have one less worry on my mind. Thank you again for your wonderful work on this site.

Back