• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist Appointment in in a few hours. Terrified. Haven't slept.

R

red5

First off I am so glad I found this forum.

My teeth are horrible. I know I have to have so much work done, that's what's so daunting. First off, and most seriously, I've had a hole at the top of my gum for about 5-6 years now. After a root canal surgery the hole at the top of my front gum never healed. My front tooth is dead (no feeling) and the enamel is staring to come off of both of my teeth (through vigarous brushing or just weak teeth I have no idea) and the hole above my gum leaks sometimes. I know, not good. I think the saddest thing is that 4 years ago I had an x-ray and found out what was wrong, that I'd need stitches and sedation and I was SO RELIEVED that I was finally going to get everything sorted.

But then my dentist shut down and I had a letter through to make another appointment. Of course my dental phobic self was like *aww yisss* no appointment. Anxiety averted. But then *of course* I never had the guts to make another appointment... 4 years later, I have black plaque all over my back teeth (I brush my teeth, I've had plaque before but not dark/black.. It scares me). I have a broken filling, cavities in my two canines and at least 3 on my back teeth. I have no idea what else they'll find. That's only what I'm aware of from my dentist visit before. I can't believe I've left it so long. I'm ashamed. I'm terrified that they'll look at my teeth and think "obviously she doesn't look after her teeth" when I try so hard. I really do. I've never been able to smile without feeling ashamed. I'm only in my twenties and my teeth are falling apart. I didn't look after them properly when I was a kid and I feel like it doesn't matter what I do my teeth will just crumble and it's all for nought.

I'm scared that I won't have the guts to say anything when I get there (about my gum and the hole, it's always overlooked and when I'm at the dentist I'm too scared to say anything) I'm scared that I will burst into tears or have a panic attack. I'm scared of being judged because I have all of this dark plaque, I DO brush my teeth! I just feel like this is all too little too late. That my negligence when I was younger has cursed me to lose all of my teeth before I'm 30. I am so, so, so frightened. My mum is coming with me (lol) but seriously I am bricking it.

But I am so glad I found this forum. It is so comforting to know that there are others out there who suffer from the same anxiety that I do. Going to try and sleep again, probably to no avail. Thanks for this site. It's a great comfort to know I'm not alone.
<3

Hi red, welcome to the forum :) I'm really sorry to hear about all the problems you've had, it sounds like a daunting experience! But have no fear, the dentist isn't going to judge you or scold you, they're there to help. I think this whole judgey thing has gone away over the years. They know you hate being there! And they're used to people being scared/uncomfortable.

I doubt the dentist will overlook anything, so I don't think you're going to need to bring any of the problems up. I pointed some things out my first time back to the dentist while he was doing the exam, and he just seemed a little annoyed at the interruption. He/she is going to find what needs fixing.

As far as the anxiety goes, just breathe! Keep picturing your end result. Smiling a big smile with shiny fixed teeth. You will get there. It might be a long road, and surely longer than you want it to be. But just keep going to those appointments, and keep picturing those teeth.

When I had all my appointments set up they wrote them down on these cards, one card for one appointment. I would physically handle the cards from time-to-time, knowing each one would bring me one step closer to healthy teeth. When one appointment was done, I'd discard it in the "completed" pile. I'd feel more and more relief the smaller I saw the pile with appointments left to go get. Once all the appointments were done, I came home, tore the cards to bits and threw them away. It was a great feeling.

It won't hurt, and it'll be over before you know it! You're so young, you have the rest of your life to live! One day you'll look back on this and won't be able to believe how long you went being miserable for no good reason. Hang in there, and keep us updated. Welcome to the club :)

Back