• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentist appt tomorrow and terrified!

K

kaylasmum

Hi,

Just hoping for a little moral support, i have always been afraid of going to the dentist since i was 16 and had to have a tooth capped. The experience was awful and i've only been to the dentist over the years when the pain has been too much for me to stand. I had to go when i was pg in 2006 as the pain i was in had me in tears, i had a filling replaced as there was some decay under it and i handled it not too badly but it was only a temporary filling and it keeps coming out. I went back about 6 months ago to have a permanent one put in and had a bad experience again. First of all i had a reaction or something to the injection as just after having it my heart started beating really fast and i could'nt feel my legs, i also had a really bad pain that went from my stomach right through to my back. The dentist explained that there is adrenalinein the anaesthetic and that it can get into the bloodstream. A if that was'nt bad enough, after 3 injections i still was'nt numb enough for her to drill, she tried but i could still feel pain so eventually she had to put a temporary one back in, which only lasted about two weeks.

So, now i'm starting to get pains in my tooth and have been forced to make an appointment to have the filling done and i'm worried sick. The dentist topld me last time that as my tooth had been without a filling for a while that the nerve can be extra sensitive and maybe thats why i was still feeling the drilling, my tooth has been without a filling for 6 months so i'm scared that the same thing will happen again. I just want it all over and done with, i know i'm going to be a complete wreck tomorrow.:cry:

Hi Kaylasmum and :welcome:

I am so sorry to hear that you had such bad experiences in the past. Is the dentist you're going to tomorrow the same one you saw last time or is it somebody new? Regardless, my number one piece of advice is to tell the dentist exactly what you're afraid of and about your previous experiences. Knowing these things can help a dentist to better tailor their treatments to your needs.

Maybe posting a question about your situation in the "Your Dentistry Questions Answered" section of the forum might be helpful as we often have dentists there who are very willing to offer comfort and advice.

I'm sure that others here will have words of inspiration and encouragement as well. Know that we'll all be thinking of you and that you can do this. :grouphug:

Hi thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure what dentist i'll be seeing tomorrow as the one i saw last time has now left. I'm just hoping that it will be an understanding and extremely patient one! I actually did post on the dental questions answered thread but was told that it was most likely that i was experiencing a panic attack. I'm not sure if that was the case as i was'nt more nervous than usual.

hi kaylasmum :welcome:

cant really say much more than the previous respondent, only to try and stay calm and explain the best way you can to the dentist exactly how you feel and what you fear. its a bit of a pain not knowing which dentist you will be seeing, and not having met them before is bound to add to your anxiety, i went through exactly that in the last year, and every time i went i saw someone different, which just made me worse to deal with because i had to explain everything repeatedly, its uncomfortable and embarrassing enough the first time!

anyway, enough ramblings, good luck tomorrow, will seen positive thoughts and let us know how it goes.

Rosey:hug2:

:redface:ps please excuse my spelling, i'm out of practise and using a lappy lol

Hi Kaylasmum,

Just checking in to see how things went today. :grouphug:

Just a quick update on my visit to the dentist today. I was so nervous this morning that i had a really bad attack of IBS which made things ten times worse. As soon as i walked into the room i told the dentist that i was very nervous and went over what had happened at my last visit. He was so nice and understanding which made me feel a little better but as soon as i sat in the chair i could feel my heart thudding. He had a look and said that i needed 3 fillings but he wanted to do x-rays to see how far down the cavities went. I'm going to have to have a tooth out, its the one that they tried to fill the last time but i could'nt get numbed up enough. He said he could fill it and that he'd not normally take a tooth out unless he really did'nt think it would be worth filling. He suggested that i should see my GP to get some diazepam to take the night before and in the morning before the extraction. I had mentioned to him that i had read about IV sedation on here and he said that its very good, and that he would refer me for that for the 2 fillings that i need done. This has made me feel so much better although i'm still very nervous but his caring and understanding attitude has made all the difference. Its the first time i've ever come away from the dentist feeling so positive. My appointment for the extraction is for the 9th of April so i've got a while to get myself psyched up for it.

:grouphug:
I'm so happy for you that this appointment went better for you than your past ones.
It will get easier and easier as time and treatments go by:XXLhug:

so glad it went well for you. the diazepam is a good idea, worked a treat for me, helps you relax enough the night before and get a good sleep and keeps you relaxed when you attend. might I suggest seeing your GP sooner rather than later and he/she may well give you a trial run to see what dosage to prescribe that gives you the best result. keep us all up to date with your progress.....

Rosey :)

thanks for your replies,

Just wanted to ask you rosey how much diazepam were you prescribed? My dentist suggested 2mg the night before and 6mg around 2 and a half hours before my appointment. Also were you very sleepy after, its just that i'm due to start work at 5.00pm, my appt's at 10.30 so just wondering if there will be any lasting effects on me. I'm also on citalopram so have to check with the GP about any interaction.

thanks for your replies,

Just wanted to ask you rosey how much diazepam were you prescribed? My dentist suggested 2mg the night before and 6mg around 2 and a half hours before my appointment. Also were you very sleepy after, its just that i'm due to start work at 5.00pm, my appt's at 10.30 so just wondering if there will be any lasting effects on me. I'm also on citalopram so have to check with the GP about any interaction.

rosey may have a different answer than I do, but here goes == you may want to try to NOT go into work that day, simply because you may be overly exhausted (from the sedative meds, as well as the general stress of worry.. ) You may not be in any shape to work, depending on what you actually do....:grouphug:

I was on 5mg diazepam. I took it before bed and it was suggested I take the same amount one hour before the appointment. When I went for the major appointment ( all extractions) I took the 5 mg one hour before and all went well. I wasn't sleepy, just very relaxed and calm. I had IV sedation that day as well and don't remember anything at all, think I just went to sleep LOL Wellllllll it had been stressful in the build up to it and I hadnt slept well, on the nights I skipped the alcohol LOL I reckon if the boss says take 6mg that will see you through it and you should be ok to drive a good few hours after it, you may want a nap when you get back, just to make up for any sleepless nights you have beforehand, but I am sure you will be fine, trust me, we have all been there :grouphug:

hi,
I work on a checkout so not particularly strenuos work but i don't finish until half ten and i'm usually pretty tired by then at the best of times. I think i'll speak to my manager and try to get the night off. I felt really exhausted today after my appointment and that was with no treatment!

thats a good idea if you can swing it. you will probably be exhausted with stress etc, but deffo do NOT drive if you have IV sedation!! sorry, I meant to put that in last post duhhhhhhh
Just meant i went to work after appointments and after having the 5mg diazepam in morning, i felt fine. It does say not to drive or use machinery after taking the meds as can cause drowsiness,but I would imagine you should be ok after 7-8 hours, maybe one of the dentists can advise you better than me though, I only speak from experience.

Just to add my littlesay: no one reacts the same to medication so can't say for sure exactly how you will feel afterwards. I know in my case, I had valium night before and morning of my appointment, then IV sedation and I was feeling quite tired for more than 48 hours afterwards. Hadn't realised how much till I started the drive back home (250 motorway miles) and had to stop. Hadn't felt drowsy or anything like that but my reactions/reflexes were definitely not up to speed and I felt my eyes closing. But I presume the average is about 24 hours for any sedation to leave the system.

I was the same after IV sedation. My appointment that day was early morning but slept most of that day AND the day after. I'm just thinking though, if kaylasmum takes 6mg diazepam at around 9-9.30ish am and doesnt start work till 5pm she should be able to drive. Taking other factors into account ie stress, sleepless nights and anxiety she may well not be fit to drive, so I am thinking she should try swing a nite off work or swap for another nite, put her feet up and have herself a celebratory glass or 6 of wine :hic:

I just wanted to pop by to say that I'm so happy that things went so well for you this time. Finding a caring dentist makes such a huge difference, doesn't it? I'm sure that the other procedures will go just fine, as well. :grouphug:

hi, thanks again for all your replies,

For my appointment for my extraction i'm not having IV sedation, my dentist is referring me for that for my fillings. I'll only be taking the diazepam for the extraction and i don't drive. I just wondered really about the effects of the diazepam and how long they would last, i think the thing that would mostly make me want to take the night off work is that i suffer from IBS and any stressful situation makes it worse so i'll probably arrange a shift swap for that evening just in case, its better than me phoning in at the last minute.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement it really does help a great deal to hear that i'm not the only one that feels like this. I'll keep you all updated as to how things are.

hi kaylasmum,

you seem to have things sussed out now. I see that you are being refered for sedation for the fillings, who are you being refered to for that? I also notice you are from scotland, as I am too :cheers: LOL

Hi Rosey,

not sure who i'm being referred to, i'm actually surprised that i'm getting this treatment done as i'm not registered with a dentist and the one i'm going to is at a health centre that normallt just takes emergencies unless you are registered, but when i went with really bad toothache a year and a half ago i was 7 months pregnant and for that reason they agreed on a course of treatment. My son is now 14 months old so i thought they would'nt still be treating me as it only meant to be until the baby is 1 year old. I am actually entitled to free dental treatment anyway due to a tax credits exemption certificate. I'm just worried that maybe they've made a mistake and i'll be told that they can't refer me for IV sedation.

I'm from Perth, whereabouts are you?