• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentist day today triggering my emetophobia help!

L

lilanxiety

hi all,

I have the dreaded appointment today in about 10 and a half hours. I haven't been to the dentist's since 2014, when I was 13. I've put it off too many times and my teeth are looking pretty horrible, they're all stained black and I need some fillings in.

Since I'm posting here, you probably can guess that I'm phobic of the dentist. I definitely know it's caused by my emetophobia (fear of being sick). My biggest fear is getting sick at the dentist, whether that's going when I'm actually ill, getting my gag reflexes triggered or fainting and feeling sick from that.

I feel very very sick already, and I'm almost certain it's anxiety but I'm scared it's not. There's a story going round my head that a nurse told me once; she was violently ill on her dentist after he put his fingers in her mouth when she was feeling sick already. I'm so scared that that's what's gonna happen today because I know I will definitely feel nauseous going in.

I also just really despise having anything going on my mouth. I'm autistic and I can't hack the feeling of metal on my teeth, or the holding your mouth open for ages or the bright lights or the sounds or sensations.

Anyway, I've been periodically hyperventilating and crying over the weekend at the prospect of v*miting (i can't type the word sorry) or even just panicking at the dentist. I just don't want to be stuck in the chair if im feeling ill. I have a few health problems which do cause me to feel nauseous and I'm panicked at the thought of the dentist making it worse. I know I need a lot of work doing, and i've found a supposedly kind and understanding dental practice not too far from home, but I'm still absolutely panicked.

What can I do to reduce the chance of v*miting? Is it likely I will?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's 4am and I'm a mess. I just needed to get these thoughts out somewhere. My mum just told me to "just stop being anxious" as if that's gonna help a severe fear of dentists and v*mit.

I too suffer from the fear of getting sick that I believe began when I...got sick in the middle of the night as a child while i was asleep and it made me choke. Ugh. I am so sorry you are feeling this way. Anxiety for me makes the feeling worse and when I first started going to the dentist this year, I felt sick to my stomach each visit until I got to go home and then I felt totally fine after.

The first visit for me was much easier than I expected with minimal probing or poking. The dentist was very gentle when examining me and the hardest part for me were the xrays. Try to breathe deeply through your nose to avoid gagging if you can.

Also try to avoid anxiety triggers before your appointment, such as caffeine, alcohol, sugar, etc. Also eat a light meal that is relatively bland to keep your stomach as calm as possible. No one can tell you if you will get sick or not, but a lot of it as you know is mental. If you are convinced that you will get sick, you very well might get sick. Try to think of positive thoughts such as "it is only one hour out of 24 hours and then I can go home" or think of the times you thought you would get sick but then you didnt get sick. Planning a reward for yourself for after your appointment might help you have something to look forward to. You could also take headphones as a distraction.

Just try to be as open and honest as you can with the dentist. They are there to help you and they certainly won't want to do anything that would make you sick. Also agree on a "hands off" signal for when you need a break or need to breathe through any feelings of sickness. You can do this and you are very brave for taking this step! Let us know how it goes :)

Lilanxiety,

First of all I want to say you are really smart and super brave. First of all of having an appt and writing here to process this is huge! You are not holding it in but really trying your best to walk it out because you want to take care of yourself !

And you know that in a few hours you are walking into a situation that you know many things about it will trigger many anxieties and fears.. and you are still doing it.. that is the defination of courage. and its just really hard to "just get over the anxiety".. its a very normal thing to have dental anxiety and after all you were told and worries about being sick especially so.

The good thing is you can take one step at a time and no one has to force you to do anything on your teeth.. take it little by little.. and if you are feeling sick then you try again,, if you make it to one aspect then you have come further than you did in a few years.. and you just do your best and go the furthest you can.. and I encourage you to share with your dental team your fears and anxieties so they can help you best. Once you go and they can reassure you and get a plan to help you , you should feel much better. Take it step by step.

If for some reason they do not treat you with kindness and compassion, you can try again with another dentist who will.. I believe you have all it takes to do this!!

I ended up cancelling. I started to feel very unwell a few hours ago and I don't think it was anxiety related. I thought i'd be able to do it this time but I couldn't. I haven't slept and I know I need to. I just feel like I've let myself down yet again and i know I'm gonna cry about this but what can you do :(

I'm so sorry- I know how you feel :( I too suffer from emetophobia and it makes seeing the dentist very difficult. Not sleeping properly can definitely make you feel worse too. With my current dentist, I actually told him every single anxiety trigger. I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy, but who cares. He listened and was sympathetic, so I knew he was a good choice. For me, opening up about my problems makes me feel better, so perhaps thats something you could try for next time. Please keep us updated- I would love to hear your success story one day!

Also try to avoid anxiety triggers before your appointment, such as caffeine, alcohol, sugar, etc.

How can sugar cause anxiety? If anything I'd say a lack of sugar etc could make you feel worse.

Sugar is a known anxiety trigger for me and many others. Eating food that is high in sugar such as dessert or sodas and make anxiety worse, accelerate your heart rate and ultimately cause low blood sugar after the high has passed. It is more important to maintain healthy levels of glucose by having a balanced meal to avoid these large highs and lows.

Im really sorry to hear about your fear, i had that as well until i actually went. I still hate that im going but i know how necessary it is for me to go. As far as your disability goes, maybe ask them if they can put you under sedation. They have to put my disabled son under sedation every time he goes. Best of luck to you!

Sugar is a known anxiety trigger for me and many others. Eating food that is high in sugar such as dessert or sodas and make anxiety worse, accelerate your heart rate and ultimately cause low blood sugar after the high has passed. It is more important to maintain healthy levels of glucose by having a balanced meal to avoid these large highs and lows.

I don't find that at all if anything its really hard to keep my sugar levels up right now due to the sugar tax everythings being replaced with vile sweeteners,I need the sugar.

I don't find that at all if anything its really hard to keep my sugar levels up right now due to the sugar tax everythings being replaced with vile sweeteners,I need the sugar.

Everyone is different and if your body is used to a lot of sugar, then it makes sense that it would leave you feeling quite off if you were to suddenly change your diet. All I know is that avoiding large quantities of sugar helps with my anxiety. I try to get the necessary sugar that my body needs with fruit and whole grains.