• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist did wrong teeth!!!!

S

scared_todeath

Several months ago I had a molar break. My dental insurance only covers so much work per year and I had my wisdom teeth out last year and no coverage left so I had to wait for the new year to start (March 1/13)

Yesterday I went to get the broken tooth fixed. I have a major dental phobia so I requested and received oral sedation. Long story cut short $1200 later and no insurance money left until next March they didn't even touch the broken tooth that I was there for. When I questioned the dentist he just said that it might need root canal. Quote $1060. He had filled small cavities that I didn't even know they were there and left the tooth that I had gone in for. I have not stopped crying since yesterday when I realized that not only do I now have to pay for a procedure that I cant afford but I have to sit through something that completely terrifies me AGAIN! The broken tooth aches constantly, I am always digging food out of it and it is very sensitive to hot and cold. Even when I am walking I have to keep my mouth closed bc the wind going in my mouth gives me sharp pains in the tooth. As terrified as I was I was really looking forward to having it fixed and it not bothering me anymore. I called the dentist office this morning but the dentist isn't in until Monday (It is Friday today) They are going to call me back then. Does anyone have any ideas as to what my recourse is?

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am sorry I cannot help you but this cannot be right. I would put my complaint in writing to the practice manager and see if they can help you to sort this out. I am sorry you are still in pain and I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Don't be afraid of a rct they are not bad at all, as far as the treatment itself goes, I think the expense is more of a worry to you at the moment.

I do think someone at the practice should correct the mistake, you did not consent to the treatment you were given and they do need your consent to do any work on your teeth. Do state in your letter that you did not consent to this treatment and tell them the treatment you did consent to was the work needed on the tooth that is giving you pain.

I don't know if you are in the UK or not, but see if the manager can help you put this right.

Best wishes to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

I would explain to the dentist your problems and what you had agreed to have done. Give him an chance to explain why he deviated then make sure that he understands your current discomfort and see if he can do something to help you out especially given the circumstances as you have described. It's not a big thing to just place a temporary that might give you pain relief for the rest of the year. Each circumstance is different though.

Back