• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist doesn't want to see me after he extracted a tooth & I'm in constant pain, please help...

S

star2sparkle

Dentist doesn't want to see me after he extracted a tooth & I'm in constant pain, please help...

I really hope someone may be able to help me.
Last Friday I went to the dentist to have a tooth extracted from the lower right. I thought it would be a simple procedure but he discovered after an x-ray that the roots of the tooth were twisted. After several injections, he couldn't remove the tooth through the 'normal' procedure and had to try something else. He cut into the bone to remove the tooth, it took 45 minutes of a lot of grinding and pulling and I needed stitches. I was extremely anxious and traumatised as a result. He gave me the normal advice of after care which I have followed. After the weekend, the pain took a turn for the worse. The stitches have come loose and there is a hole there. I have rung the dentist and he said it couldn't possibly be dry socket because of the procedure he used and to stick with the painkillers. I rang again, after not sleeping and being in tears with the pain and I've been told the same thing, that this is normal. Tomorrow, if I can't sleep and am in pain, then he might see me! I have the symptoms of a dry socket and many years ago, I had exactly the same tooth pulled on the other side and ended up with a dry socket that needed dressing every day. The pain went straight away.
This has made me want to change my dentist. He is great at empathy and understanding my severe anxiety but I went through hell to get that tooth out and now the pain is bad.
What do you think? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Shouldn't your dentist see you when you are in pain like this?

Re: Dentist doesn't want to see me after he extracted a tooth & I'm in constant pain, please help...

Hi
dry socket is really painful and yes they should see you. Call them and explain the nature and severity of the pain, I'm sure they'll give you an appointment
best of luck

Re: Dentist doesn't want to see me after he extracted a tooth & I'm in constant pain, please help...

Hi
dry socket is really painful and yes they should see you. Call them and explain the nature and severity of the pain, I'm sure they'll give you an appointment
best of luck

I've tried! I have told them that I'm in constant pain, that I've been unable to sleep but just got fobbed off. The dentist said such pain was normal and could last a week. He has reasons to be believe that it can't be dry socket. I have tried to explain about the pain, I really have. I just think the dentist simply doesn't wish to see me.

sounds that way. Go to an emergency clinic instead.

sounds that way. Go to an emergency clinic instead.

Is he right in saying that it is normal to feel constant pain like what I have for up to a week later? I'm on my fourth, almost fifth day. How can he be so sure that it isn't a dry socket?

dry socket lasts 10 days if thats what it is.
treatment helps give relief though

Back