• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentist dropping tools

G

Former Member
Hi, I am a very scared individual when it comes to dentists. I recently found a new dentist after my old one who was fabulous decided to suddenly retire. I went to my old dentist after two really painfull injections with two separate dentists, which although being told they were both one off occurences, made me very fearfull to the point of debilitation. I suffered constant fear every day suffering constant flashbacks and had to have therapy for five yrs.

Then I found this dentist who was great and went through each injection with me, and none hurt, which helped a lot. Though it still took a good few years for me to gain my trust with him.

Now ten years down the line my dentist retired and I found a female dentist who treats anxious people. I needed a lot of treatment but felt almost no pain. Still, everything is magnified when I am in the dental chair, and on my last visit she dropped a few tools near my face and on the floor, and also slightly stung me with her injection. For some reason this has started my overwhelming nervous feelings again and I am worrying about injections again, and also about the tools being dropped. it just startled me and makes me worry about future treatmnts.

It is so embarassing, I am 31 now ! can you give me advice,

kindest regards

Mark

Hi Mark, I can only contribute my own experience - I had a dentist who was also in the habit of dropping instruments (not sharp ones, though), and thought he was fantastic (really light touch). As long as the instruments don't get reused before they're sterilized, I wouldn't worry too much. If they are picked up and reused without being sterilized, I WOULD worry ;D ! Hopefully that's not the case, though.

When you're saying the injection "slightly stung", I take it you're not talking about a huge amount of pain? A slight pinch can sometimes be felt depending on the site of the injection, but it's not really something you should be worried about. I don't think it's a harbinger of worse things to come :p.

Don't know if this helps at all :)

Nobody drops tools on purpose. Stuff happens. Even the best dentist can have a slip up from time to time. Even me ;D

Even the best dentist can have a slip up from time to time. Even me ;D

Careful there - you can get a star deducted for littering the board with redundant tautological statements ;)