• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dentist gave me a purple bruising on my cheek after dental work. I'm embarrassed to go out in public now.

K

Kelly46666

Is this normal? I had a big purple bruising on my cheek after recent dental work (a filling on an upper premolar). I feel embarrassed to go out in public with this. I'm never going back to that dentist! Is this the fault of the dentist for poor injection technique?

P

Paige2018

This is not the dentists fault at all! Bruising is very normal when you have dental work done.

N

NETWizz

It is not normal but we would have to know more to be able to say the dentist did anything wrong. If you aren’t in any pain, I would just cover it up with some foundation makeup. It should heal in a few days.

G

geos

Are you sure it was the dentist who caused the bruise? You did nothing that could have caused it? Especially when you were frozen?

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Most likely cause of non-surgical bruising from dental treatment is blood leaking from a perforated blood vessel. The face is very vascular and the veins arteries and nerves run together so we aim for where these structures are located. Problems are is that everyone is built different. This is such a problem that dentists use speciality syringes that allow for us to aspirate prior to injection to minimize risk of acute reactions. These injection related bruises are relatively rare and are rarely a technical fault of the dentist. I would say that any dentist that has practice for enough years has has this annoyance.