• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist gave me a purple bruising on my cheek after dental work. I'm embarrassed to go out in public now.

K

Kelly46666

Is this normal? I had a big purple bruising on my cheek after recent dental work (a filling on an upper premolar). I feel embarrassed to go out in public with this. I'm never going back to that dentist! Is this the fault of the dentist for poor injection technique?

The most likely cause of non-surgical bruising from dental treatment is blood leaking from a perforated blood vessel. The face is very vascular and the veins arteries and nerves run together so we aim for where these structures are located. The problem is that everyone is built differently. This is such a problem that dentists use speciality syringes that allow for us to aspirate prior to injection to minimize the risk of acute reactions. These injection-related bruises are very rare and are rarely a technical fault of the dentist. I would say that any dentist that has practiced for enough years has has this annoyance.

Back