• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist has chipped away some tooth & filling, what to do?

N

Nicci

I've been a member here before, so I'm not a newbie..

I've built up some trust with my dental practice over the last 4 or so years, however I'm not entirely happy with my current dentist.
I just don't feel he's confident, or very patient with me.. I don't ask for much, I don't think I'm a nuisance, I just require a bit of patience and my treatments breaking up into manageable / bearable appointments.. But he makes me feel a little like a nuisance and he doesn't talk to me very much.. I'm used to the other dentists giving me info without me having to ask and a little reassurance during treatments.

anyway, I went today for a cleaning and a filling (one more filling to come, I asked to break it into two appointments) there's still plaque right in between the gaps on my teeth so I don't feel they were cleaned properly, although it's more visible to me on a 10x magnification mirror.. Not so much on a normal mirror/first glance.
(Im also not entirely sure what the point was in the filling today, when I have no teeth underneath that one to chew on anyway.. I appreciate he's probably trying to preserve what I have left even though I can't chew on that side for missing teeth anyway :/ )

But my main issue is that he's taken 2 chips out of my tooth and made another chip bigger - hence the fork I've drawn on my photo indicating the three chips

He's also taken away some of the white filling I had in the tooth next to that one. I've indicated in red where the filling was, the black arrow points directly to the missing bit of filling.

i appreciate I have early decay/white marks on my teeth, but why go over those and chip off what's already delicate if nothing is to be done about it, ie no filling to be put on them?? There was no plaque there, just a slight chip in the White mark.

ive attached a further photo of my mouth (sorry my teeth are a bit gross!) so you can get a feel for the size of the chips etc. Not sure why it's upside down, it's the right way on my iPad and phone.
image.jpg image.jpg

Im not sure what to do about it all?

Looks like a highly decalcified area and I assume an ultrasonic device was used. If it is that soft I would have removed more of the soft tooth and restore it.

Looks like a highly decalcified area and I assume an ultrasonic device was used. If it is that soft I would have removed more of the soft tooth and restore it.

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

I saw my dentist again today, when I expressed my concerns (showing the same photo, being able to zoom in, pinpoint it all etc) he said "it looks like an abnormality in the tooth, lots of people have them and I must've cleaned out anything I felt that needed to come out, like old food or plaque and those are the holes that were left behind. It's not soft so it's not decay" because I'd expressed concern it was early decay and a delicate ares of the tooth as the same thing seemed to happen to the tooth next to it.. White marks... Hole.. Hole got bigger and then needed a filling (at the size it started it was considered "cosmetic and not necessary under NHS treatment )

I found it odd that he would say there must've been old food and plaque in there.. I don't consume only white foods

Back