• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist keeps pushing implants, does your's?

B

Becky937

Hello all. The title says it all. I love my dentist but whenever I have a problem with a tooth he keeps mentioning implants. Every time I tell him I don't want one he keeps listing all of the good things about them. He never tells me the downsides that do exist. It feels like he is pushing them.

I'm in my early 60s and while I'm not fond of the idea of a partial, I'm not afraid of it. I'm afraid of pain. I have two missing teeth and for one tooth I am getting a bridge on. The other I was going to get a bridge on, but the tooth in front might need an R/C retreat.

My older sister has an upper flexible partial that she had for a long time that she said is fine. She never wanted implants either. My last dentist visit we talked about the possibility of losing and #4 and #5. He said a bridge was not possible and started talking about implants. I mentioned that I was thinking of a partial to go over #4 and #5 with clasps on 3 and 6. He said that's a nesbit and it is illegal here (US). That's a load of crap I believe. My dentist also said that there would be bone loss so if I changed my mind later I would not be able to get implants. I only have one tooth missing on the left so I would not want the partial to go all the way around. I think that he could at least tell me the pros of partials.

Does you dentist push implants?

Becky

I am in my mid, going into my late 30s, age 37, my dentist has never mention implants, she did mention I needed a crown on one of molars which I had done before Christmas 2020.

I don't want dentures either, so would op for implants myself if I need them. I truely hate my teeth, I struggle enough of keep them real teeth clean. I would than struggle with keeping implants clean, because I still live at home with my parents because of my disability, and would need the light and mirror to be spot on.

Last edited:
I am early 40’s, and I have three implants right now, with another one planned. My dentist never pushed them, though. He actually promoted the other options first. I am the one that wanted implants instead of a root canal. I had a temp partial for my upper front tooth while the bone grafting and implant healed.
Does your dentist do the implant crowns or the implants? Does he have a stake in this financially?

Yes MountainMama. He has a big stake in them financially. The oral surgeon does the implant and he puts the crown on. He does not do partial dentures.

How are your implants MountainMama? Do you like them and did you have any issues with them? They are great for some people.

Becky

How are your implants MountainMama? Do you like them and did you have any issues with them? They are great for some people.

Becky

It sounds like you feel you can’t trust your dentist to give you an impartial option. Could you get a second opinion on the partial? My dentist also did the crowns for the implants but he never pushed them and actually discussed all my options, even the ones he would have to refer me to someone else for.

I like the implants much more than the partial. I love that it is easy to manage and I don’t have to take them out. The process was actually much easier than I had expected. They are easy to take care of and don’t restrict me from eating anything.

I wish I knew how my mouth would react to implants. If I knew for sure I would not have any pain or problems I would get a couple. It just seems that anything tooth related I have issues. For the past two years I'm just trying to catch up with dental stuff and another issue pops up. I'm dealing with two separate issues, a possible failing root canal on a big molar on the left, and two upper right R/C'd front teeth (failing) that dentist is advising apicos. It's exhausting, especially at the same time.

If Covid was not around I would see a different dentist for another opinion. I'd have to find one that does denture work.

Becky

I wish I knew how my mouth would react to implants. If I knew for sure I would not have any pain or problems I would get a couple. It just seems that anything tooth related I have issues. For the past two years I'm just trying to catch up with dental stuff and another issue pops up. I'm dealing with two separate issues, a possible failing root canal on a big molar on the left, and two upper right R/C'd front teeth (failing) that dentist is advising apicos. It's exhausting, especially at the same time.

If Covid was not around I would see a different dentist for another opinion. I'd have to find one that does denture work.

Becky
I completely understand. I have had nonstop dental issues the past two years. Before that, I had only ever had a few fillings and one crown since I was a kid and had work done for braces.
I have had two root canals and two apicos, and both failed. I thought I would never have a successful dental procedure. For a while I thought my implants were messed up because I had pain in my jaw but it turns out I have TMJ issues from all the dental work and atypical facial pain. So the implants actually are the only thing that worked well. My body doesn’t tolerate root canals apparently.
Implants have a high success rate. I did a lot of research before deciding to get them. It was a big decision.
I hope you can get in for a second opinion at some point. Do you live in an area where things are still closed? Where I am dentists are open as usual, just with restrictions and the waiting rooms are closed.

Hi MountainMama. My last two years with dental stuff has been rough with two extractions and six root canals. I had problems with bad dental work and it scared me so I avoided the dentist for a couple of years. I got the courage up and found a great dentist but needed work. It just snowballed from there. I take a medicine that causes dry mouth and is bad for teeth. I am trying to wean from it but it's taking a lot of time. I am older so all of those big silver fillings started going and root canals followed.

Yes things are open but I am really on a self-imposed quarantine because my immune system is not that great. I also go out to places when necessary. I might be getting a vaccine soon so I'll wait until I get one. What does the atypical pain feel like? Is it pain where the implants is or pain in the jaw? I hope we both catch a break and need no more work for a few years at least.

Becky

Hi MountainMama. My last two years with dental stuff has been rough with two extractions and six root canals. I had problems with bad dental work and it scared me so I avoided the dentist for a couple of years. I got the courage up and found a great dentist but needed work. It just snowballed from there. I take a medicine that causes dry mouth and is bad for teeth. I am trying to wean from it but it's taking a lot of time. I am older so all of those big silver fillings started going and root canals followed.

Yes things are open but I am really on a self-imposed quarantine because my immune system is not that great. I also go out to places when necessary. I might be getting a vaccine soon so I'll wait until I get one. What does the atypical pain feel like? Is it pain where the implants is or pain in the jaw? I hope we both catch a break and need no more work for a few years at least.

Becky

I understand about self quarantine as well! We have been trying to do that as much as possible.
I have had two root canals, two apicoectomies, and now five extractions in the past two years. Two of the extractions were most likely not needed and due to the atypical facial pain, which was just recently diagnosed.
Atypical facial pain is weird. It can hurt in my jaw, or make my teeth hurt like a tooth ache. Sometimes it will be a short quick zing like when you get something cold on a sensitive tooth but other times it will just ache in the tooth or along my jaw. It mimics a tooth ache which is why I had two lower molars extracted because nothing would stop the pain. Ironically after the implants were put in, the pain still comes back, but in the jaw. It also can be extremely painful for a short time, like one day, then be gone for a week or two. Sometimes the pain will be there for a week or so before leaving. It jumps around and usually only hurts in one spot at a time but almost always on the right side of my mouth. It also feels like a burning sensation in my gums at times.

I understand about self quarantine as well! We have been trying to do that as much as possible.
I have had two root canals, two apicoectomies, and now five extractions in the past two years. Two of the extractions were most likely not needed and due to the atypical facial pain, which was just recently diagnosed.
Atypical facial pain is weird. It can hurt in my jaw, or make my teeth hurt like a tooth ache. Sometimes it will be a short quick zing like when you get something cold on a sensitive tooth but other times it will just ache in the tooth or along my jaw. It mimics a tooth ache which is why I had two lower molars extracted because nothing would stop the pain. Ironically after the implants were put in, the pain still comes back, but in the jaw. It also can be extremely painful for a short time, like one day, then be gone for a week or two. Sometimes the pain will be there for a week or so before leaving. It jumps around and usually only hurts in one spot at a time but almost always on the right side of my mouth. It also feels like a burning sensation in my gums at times.
I know you’ve responded to my posts in the past but I just want to let you know that we are literally experiencing the same thing and you’re not alone if that helps :) two of my root canals are being questioned whether we should do apicos or just do implants. I wonder if I even need any of those things because I had 3 extractions and the pain is still there. If you don’t mind me asking, how was the actual apico experience for you? I can deal with pain after but the actual procedures are always tough for me and I’m kind of freaking out just thinking about it.

I know you’ve responded to my posts in the past but I just want to let you know that we are literally experiencing the same thing and you’re not alone if that helps :) two of my root canals are being questioned whether we should do apicos or just do implants. I wonder if I even need any of those things because I had 3 extractions and the pain is still there. If you don’t mind me asking, how was the actual apico experience for you? I can deal with pain after but the actual procedures are always tough for me and I’m kind of freaking out just thinking about it.
The actual procedure wasn’t too bad. I had to do it without nitrous both times due to the position of the tooth. I couldn’t wear the mask for nitrous because it would be in the way. Once you are numb you don’t feel anything. The sounds bother me the most but my endodontist let me wear earbuds and listen to music.
Honestly the recovery was the worst but if you don’t mind that part then you should be fine!

Sorry for all your troubles MM. I am glad sometimes it goes away. Maybe one day it will go away for good. What did you think started the Atypical pain? Was it a root canal or apico you think?

Becky

Sorry for all your troubles MM. I am glad sometimes it goes away. Maybe one day it will go away for good. What did you think started the Atypical pain? Was it a root canal or apico you think?

Becky
My neurologist said it was most likely everything done all at the same time. It can be triggered by a lot of dental work done in a short time. He also said having braces and several dental surgeries as a teen could have contributed as well. There really is no way to know for sure, though.

I lost a tooth years ago- maybe 5. Can’t remember. And my current dentist. We moved just very gently talks to me about it. I’ve been going to this dentist for three years now maybe. I’ve gotten all the work done after an long absence. I trust them. Have had a couple good checkups with not much found on X-ray. The lost tooth is sort of visible in my mouth when I smile or laugh but I don’t really mind. The large hole in my mouth is sort of annoying and I don’t want it to negatively affect my teeth. My concerns of course are anxiety and cost and pain. But honestly I am really considering it. My dentist wouldn’t do it. It would be the oral surgeons scross
The street which my husband and daughter have gone too. I’m in my mid 40’s. So I really should

Back