• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist making me depressed and frightened?

J

Jasmine123

Hi everyone, hope you're all well! I'm 18 at the moment and I've been really stressed about these dark pit and fissure stains I have on my teeth so I pushed myself to go to the dentist although I was quite scared to see her and I spoke about it suggesting some sealants, but she was so dismissive and quick she said I shouldn't waste her time when she'd just place some sealants in September? But by then I feel like the teeth will of developed cavities even with a strict regime of brushing, mouthwash flossing good diet etc. I am going back again in two weeks for grinding teeth which thank god she's listened to me about but I don't know how to get her to really listen to me? I've even brought my mum in to speak to her but she says anything that happens to me is and I quote 'my fault for letting my mental health consume my time' as she knows also about my 6 year depression god I am ashamed of myself but I haven't found anything to make it stop it's ruined me and I hate myself deeply for it. I know it sounds silly but I cried after that appointment. It was quite uncomfortable as she has to know about a recent suicide attempt (I'm alright now receiving the right help) and she just shook her head and went on to say how she's not surprised I have four fillings because of it. I felt so empty afterwards I'm sorry I shouldn't be so sad. I don't know what to do everyone my age has perfect teeth I already have four fillings and these horrid stains. How do I get her to listen to my concerns about my teeth? I want to stop fretting about them so.Thank you everyone who read this,also did anyone else deal with not so great teeth at a young age? How did you guys handle it and how can I be more confident about speaking to my dentist?? Thank you everyone <3 <3

Last edited:
wow I just read what you wrote. To me she sounds like a dentist with horrible bed side mannor
I woul get other opinions you have to be comfortable with whom you choose Good Luck

Hi everyone, hope you're all well! I'm 18 at the moment and I've been really stressed about these dark pit and fissure stains I have on my teeth so I pushed myself to go to the dentist although I was quite scared to see her and I spoke about it suggesting some sealants, but she was so dismissive and quick she said I shouldn't waste her time when she'd just place some sealants in September? But by then I feel like the teeth will of developed cavities even with a strict regime of brushing, mouthwash flossing good diet etc. I am going back again in two weeks for grinding teeth which thank god she's listened to me about but I don't know how to get her to really listen to me? I've even brought my mum in to speak to her but she says anything that happens to me is and I quote 'my fault for letting my mental health consume my time' as she knows also about my 6 year depression god I am ashamed of myself but I haven't found anything to make it stop it's ruined me and I hate myself deeply for it. I know it sounds silly but I cried after that appointment. It was quite uncomfortable as she has to know about a recent suicide attempt (I'm alright now receiving the right help) and she just shook her head and went on to say how she's not surprised I have four fillings because of it. I felt so empty afterwards I'm sorry I shouldn't be so sad. I don't know what to do everyone my age has perfect teeth I already have four fillings and these horrid stains. How do I get her to listen to my concerns about my teeth? I want to stop fretting about them so.Thank you everyone who read this,also did anyone else deal with not so great teeth at a young age? How did you guys handle it and how can I be more confident about speaking to my dentist?? Thank you everyone <3 <3

Back