• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist making phobia worse?

A

AbbysHippo

Being a bonafide detaphobe, I realize I am a difficult patient. I jump at every sound, every movement, and have to force myself to breathe and be still. I thought my dentist was understanding, or at least tolerant of this, but I'm beginning to wonder if his approach to dentistry is making a bad situation even worse.

I am absolutley petrified of that "electrical" nerve jolt feeling, even just the thought will send me in to a panic attack. Fortunately, I have no fear of needles and truly welcome the sanctity of knowing I will not feel a thing during a procedure. Dr. "M" knows this, but seems very stingy with the gloriously numbing shots. It has happened before where I'll get one or two shots, Dr. M begins after a few minutes, and I CAN FEEL EVERYTHING. I swear I have supersonic nerves in my teeth that are unusually resistant to "normal" dosages of anesthetic. Each time I feel that jolt after I'm already supposed to be numb I feel betrayed and it gets even harder for me to deal with my phobia.

This past week I had to go in for a root canal and I nearly flew out of the chair when Dr. M began. He ended up injecting me with a "new double strength" anesthetic all the while expressing concern that he doesn't like to use it because patients have reported still being numb 24 hours later. The shots worked, he finished the job, and the numbness was gone within 4 hours, so I'm not sure what all the hoopla was about.

I am so TIRED of hearing "Oh, you can feel that? How strange". Seriously, is this normal or is he some kind of dental sadist? I actually have a fairly high pain tolerance and do not cry easily. He made me cry and it finally occured to me after seeing him for 5+ years that maybe HE is the problem.

Is it normal for dentists to always approach a procedure with using the smallest amount of anesthetic possible with a "lets see if she jumps" attitude? Is it possible I have a legitimate condition where I am unusually resistant to anesthetic that I can tell a dentist "I have blablabla and need extra anesthetic"?

I would just like someone else's perspective. If it's just me, fine, I'll continue to force myself in to the chair, but if it's not, please tell me I'm not (completely) crazy and need to find a new dentist. And if so, how does a dentaphobe go about finding a new dentist?

Thank you in advance,
Abby

If he is trying to minimise the amount of anaesthetic all the time (saving money maybe?), then he is not for you and he wouldn't be for me either...there is nothing wrong with a copious dose upfront to maximise the chances that no top-up will be required.

The actual safe maximum dose is very large something like 12 carpules but there is a very strong type of LA which has been reported to cause prolonged numbness so he is not making that bit up but you are probably exactly the type of patient who needs such an anaesthetic.

As to stingy delivery - yes all down to the dentist's actual technique so you probably would do well to go elsewhere on that score as well.
Good luck.

Have a look in 'Common Fears' at 'needle phobia' about painfree LA delivery and 'Can't get numb' about technique.

Hi Abby,

Your post sent a chill up my spine- I know exactly what you were talking about. I have the same issue getting numb and unfortunately always seem to find the dentist who can't quite get it right. The result is it kept me in the phobic loop, reinforcing that dental work is painful and it gets worse and worse over time, now my anxiety is at the worst its ever been. I learned from the wonderful folks on this board that it doesn't have to be that way, and that you are the customer and have every right to expect to be made and kept comfortable. If this dentist hasn't figured out how to make you comfortable after 5 years, well enough said, he doesn't care enough.

It also sounds like you have lost trust in this dentist so you either talk to him and come up with a plan or if he's not willing to do that - move on. Easier said than done I know, but eventually this guy is going to put you off from dental work and that would be a disaster.

According to Stress Doc, my coach, you develop a higher perception of pain because you are anticipating it. You may do very well to find someone who uses sedation dentistry, at the very least nitrous oxide which helps. LA is resistant when your adrenaline is pumping out like a fire hose. And yes it is perfectly ok to tell your dentist you are afraid of not getting numb, I just did that with my new dentist and he assures me he is very generous with the stuff- I'll find out on Thursday. I'm at the point, like you where I don't want to have to raise my hand and say I'm feeling that, get it right the first time. I'm hoping that with this new dentist I can have some painfree experiences and get over my fear that's been with me almost my whole life because of dentists like yours.

Rho

I also relate exactly the same, to not getting numbed properly. I have always felt every single thing, every dentist had ever done, until I found out about 'painless' dentistry. Unless I am fully sedated, I can feel every single thing done by a dentist, numbing agents at full dosage, leaving me to feel every nerve pain, and every bit of pressure, and discomfort. I am so thankful that I am now able to have dental work done, without remembering the pain. Halcion was my saving grace in that regard. I will be insisting on painless dental practice, from now on. I will refuse to be treated, if I am not treated the way I feel I should. It is my money, and my choice who to spend it with. If you are not content to keep being hurt by this dentist, find another, as quickly as possible. Do not allow a hurtful dentist, to drive you away from taking care of your teeth. I did, and am going to be paying for it, for quite some time to come. I hope I have helped in some way.
<KZ>
:hidesbehindsofa:

I wanted to say thank you to those who responded; your insight really helped me realize that maybe it wasn't "just me". I think in trying to face my phobia I took too much responsibility for my situation and failed to see that my dentist had at least some culpability for my dental experiences.

A little over a week after my root canal I was still experiencing pain radiating up my cheek to my eye, and my gum started to swell. There was no way I could bring myself to go back to Dr. M even though I'd already paid and any complications would be covered. I called another dentist explaining the situation and they referred me to an Endodontist (sp?) since a root canal had already been started.

I went this morning and met the most wonderful doctor who agreed to finish the root canal Dr. M started. He said he's had many patients who've had difficulty getting numb and that he considers it his first duty to be absolutely sure that his patients don't feel a thing BEFORE he even touches the drill. Oh, music to my ears. :cloud9:

I am concerned though... Dr. C said the pain and swelling I'm experiencing isn't from the root canal Dr. M did a couple of weeks ago. It's from the tooth next to it that Dr. M did a root canal on years ago and may be failing due to a hairline crack. He didn't come out and say it, but I kind of got the impression that he didn't think that the tooth Dr. M worked on was the one causing the problem a couple of weeks ago. Is it actually possible Dr. M did an unnecessary root canal? Rhetorical question, I know, but seriously?

I have to go back on antibiotics before he can finish since there is so much swelling, but I feel good about going to my next appointment. Too bad his practice is limited to Endodontics but I mentioned the dentist I was planning on seeing after this is over and he said he knew him and highly recommended him.

Could this be the beginning of the end to my fears? Time will tell, but all I can say is thank you for your insight, and thank you to the folks who started this website and maintain it for people like me.

Abby

I wish you luck abby, not surprised to hear about a case of refered pain. I have this on my #13, and 14 which thankfully will be gone by late this afternoon.

Back