• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist on Thursday

T

Tinydancer

Okay so it's near the time I'm due to get my filling and scale and polish. I posted a few weeks ago about this but as the time is getting closer I am getting more nervous and petrified. I am sick of being scared and it's just really getting to me to the point I can't eat or sleep properly ? My dentist is lovely but it simply doesn't help me at all. I can be sedated if I liked but I have went under before and it wasn't a nice feeling for me. Any words of encouragement would be a massive help. I have spoken to work colleagues who have all said I will be fine there's nothing to worry about and I won't feel a thing. I'm really scared. Plus the fact I had x-rays done, my wisdom teeth haven't came through yet and I'm terrified these need to be removed a some point or that the dentist tells me something sinister about my X-ray result. I am honestly at breaking point ? . I need to get two extractions also but haven't been told when. My dentist wanted to do the filling and scale and polish first to see how I get on with that.

Don't worry, you will be fine. It's good that you have found a nice and understanding dentist, so don't be afraid to let him or her know if you need to take any breaks in between. Also, you may wish to bring along with you a playlist on your phone or something to listen to which can help immensely in tuning out the scary sounds at the dentist.

Just take one step at a time, each step as it comes, and don't worry about everything else.

Tinydancer,

It seems the worst time for anxiety is the few days leading up to appts sometimes, it really creeps in right up until the time you sit in the chair, then if you have a good dentist and team it will get better from there and they will answer your questions and help you through it. And really... good for you for getting this far., going to the last appt, making this one, writing to process. and just getting it out, this is all great progress!

How do you think your dentist could best help you specifically relieve your anxiety?

It is scary when you are doing things you haven't done , and just the fears of the what ifs.. can be overwhelming.. Its great your dentist wants to start with few things and go from there. The more momentum you build the more you will begin to trust your dental team and that makes alot of difference.

I was really scared last year when I went through my first implant experience.. and each step I would wonder if it would be painful? if it would work ,? etc.. and even though my new dentist is really awesome. each step is a new experience.. He earned a ton of trust and respect through this process . If you have a bit of work to do, you can really build trust and a good relationship with those caring for you and that will really bring the anxiety down !

Also had my first root planing and scaling last year and was just scared... wasn't bad at all :)

Hope all goes well for you at your appt.. let us know ..:).

Tinydancer,

It seems the worst time for anxiety is the few days leading up to appts sometimes, it really creeps in right up until the time you sit in the chair, then if you have a good dentist and team it will get better from there and they will answer your questions and help you through it. And really... good for you for getting this far., going to the last appt, making this one, writing to process. and just getting it out, this is all great progress!

How do you think your dentist could best help you specifically relieve your anxiety?

It is scary when you are doing things you haven't done , and just the fears of the what ifs.. can be overwhelming.. Its great your dentist wants to start with few things and go from there. The more momentum you build the more you will begin to trust your dental team and that makes alot of difference.

I was really scared last year when I went through my first implant experience.. and each step I would wonder if it would be painful? if it would work ,? etc.. and even though my new dentist is really awesome. each step is a new experience.. He earned a ton of trust and respect through this process . If you have a bit of work to do, you can really build trust and a good relationship with those caring for you and that will really bring the anxiety down !

Also had my first root planing and scaling last year and was just scared... wasn't bad at all :)

Hope all goes well for you at your appt.. let us know ..:).

Thanks for the support. I think if my dentist just talks me through each step and lets me know that it will be fine and takes her time I may be okay. I'm going to take a playlist with me and just close my eyes and let her do her job. It's so scary and nerve wrecking! I just dont want to be afraid of the dentist anymore and just have work done and be fine. I will let you all know how it goes

The nerves before the appointment are the absolute worse. For me, my stress level stays low if they chat with me the entire time. I've tried wearing earbuds and listening to music, but I tend to focus inward too much on how my body feels and my anxiety goes higher. Everyone is different though and you'll have to figure out what keeps your anxiety low and let your dentist know. I always tell mine that I'm extremely nervous and if they chat with me, and make me laugh, I will be less nervous. Breaks are really good too. I used to refuse breaks because I wanted to get it over with, but I've come to appreciate breaks. Plus during a break, you can chat back :)

As for the pre-worry, I struggle badly with that as well. Sometimes I pre-worry myself so much that I have no worry left for the actual day. Another strategy is to not allow myself to worry. So I'll give myself a little worry time, but the rest of the day, if a worry thought pops into my head, I don't allow my brain to carry on with it. I tell myself "no, not now" and then try to think of something else. Easier said than done. My newest strategy is to pretend I love the dentist. Seriously... its pretty crazy, but I tried it for my last appointment and it might have worked. When a worry thought would creep in, I would change it to "I really cannot wait to get this tooth fixed! I'm so excited and really want to go. No one is making me go, I WANT to go!". I do think it kept my anxiety lower before the appointment, as silly as it sounds.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. Please update- I'm looking forward to hearing how well it goes!!

The nerves before the appointment are the absolute worse. For me, my stress level stays low if they chat with me the entire time. I've tried wearing earbuds and listening to music, but I tend to focus inward too much on how my body feels and my anxiety goes higher. Everyone is different though and you'll have to figure out what keeps your anxiety low and let your dentist know. I always tell mine that I'm extremely nervous and if they chat with me, and make me laugh, I will be less nervous. Breaks are really good too. I used to refuse breaks because I wanted to get it over with, but I've come to appreciate breaks. Plus during a break, you can chat back :)

As for the pre-worry, I struggle badly with that as well. Sometimes I pre-worry myself so much that I have no worry left for the actual day. Another strategy is to not allow myself to worry. So I'll give myself a little worry time, but the rest of the day, if a worry thought pops into my head, I don't allow my brain to carry on with it. I tell myself "no, not now" and then try to think of something else. Easier said than done. My newest strategy is to pretend I love the dentist. Seriously... its pretty crazy, but I tried it for my last appointment and it might have worked. When a worry thought would creep in, I would change it to "I really cannot wait to get this tooth fixed! I'm so excited and really want to go. No one is making me go, I WANT to go!". I do think it kept my anxiety lower before the appointment, as silly as it sounds.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. Please update- I'm looking forward to hearing how well it goes!!

Thank you very much for replying and your totally not rambling on at all! What you have said has helped loads I'm going to use some of these strategies on Thursday in fact! I think I will try the one getting the dentist to speak to me because it makes it more relaxed and doesn't make me think oh god I'm getting work done this is a MASSIVE THING! even though really it's not but to me it is .. that will definitely help me

I will keep you posted thanks so much for this

Glad my rambling helped :giggle: I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have a crown put on- I did the crown prep 2 weeks ago. First crown ever and I was so nervous, and I'm still very nervous for tomorrow even though it should be a breeze. Coming here and seeing that we're not alone in our fears really does help! Its a HUGE thing to go to the dentist despite being deeply afraid so you should be very proud! Do you have anything planned for after your appointment as a little reward or something to look forward to? I'm trying to think of something for myself tomorrow!

Glad my rambling helped :giggle: I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have a crown put on- I did the crown prep 2 weeks ago. First crown ever and I was so nervous, and I'm still very nervous for tomorrow even though it should be a breeze. Coming here and seeing that we're not alone in our fears really does help! Its a HUGE thing to go to the dentist despite being deeply afraid so you should be very proud! Do you have anything planned for after your appointment as a little reward or something to look forward to? I'm trying to think of something for myself tomorrow!

I'm sure you'll be totally fine and like you said it will be a breeze! I actually don't have a reward for myself I didn't even think of that to be honest. Let us know how it goes :)

as expected, it went totally fine! They had to modify the crown a lot to get it to fit properly. Typically its a very fast appointment, but it took a long time. It felt perfect when I left, but now I'm thinking its a little too high. They said it might happen, and I can call anytime and come in for a bite adjustment, so perhaps I'll get brave and call them soon.

My special treat was to go to the library after my appointment :) Had to think of something cheap since the crown was costly :grin:

So glad your appt went good Spider and Yours is tomorrow tinydancer... will be thinking of you, sending good vibes!! I love the idea of rewards too... might be counterproductive but.. I always get myself a treat from the bakery or something.. I"m a bit of a chocoholic..

as expected, it went totally fine! They had to modify the crown a lot to get it to fit properly. Typically its a very fast appointment, but it took a long time. It felt perfect when I left, but now I'm thinking its a little too high. They said it might happen, and I can call anytime and come in for a bite adjustment, so perhaps I'll get brave and call them soon.

My special treat was to go to the library after my appointment :) Had to think of something cheap since the crown was costly :grin:

So glad your appt when well and you'll be feeling so relieved I imagine! I've just finished nightshift so time to sleep for a few hours then prepare myself ?

So glad your appt went good Spider and Yours is tomorrow tinydancer... will be thinking of you, sending good vibes!! I love the idea of rewards too... might be counterproductive but.. I always get myself a treat from the bakery or something.. I"m a bit of a chocoholic..

Thanks please keep sending those good vibes I need them! I will have a think about a reward for after the appt but now time to sleep as Ive just finished nightshift ? I will let you's know how I got on

Tinydancer..

Thinking of you and hoping all goes well today!! I hope they help relieve your anxiety every step of the way and you can build some good trust and momentum! You are doing awesome!

Back