• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist/Oral surgeon I need ANSWERS PLEASE! :(

C

Chels

I am going to try to make this as short as possible & get straight to the point. I'm 22 & haven't had any dental work done since I was about 9 because of my fear. But I finally have started the process of just being brave and doing what needs to be done (it's not easy) I started this in April and my journey of like 11 cavities and 3 extractions is almost complete i only have 2 more appts :) & I am so happy & proud of myself that I have overcome so much but see 3 weeks ago I finally got my 1st of 3 extractions pulled which was very scary for me but I did it and my tooth was broken down to the gum but my dentist was able to get it out it took some time but she did great so I thought. Anyways I was in a lot of pain so I was on motrin for about 3 days then the 4th morning after the extraction i woke up with a sore tongue and just thought maybe it was just sore from the tooth being pulled then I kept trying to feel with my tongue back that way and realized it wasnt my tongue feeling sore it was my gum Lingual? on my gum next to the tongue lower molar on my left side the same side as where the tooth was pulled so i just let it go all day then at night it developed into a hole a small hole about the size of an ulcer. ( I have never had an ulcer) It then was just sore for about a few days then the pain decreased. The tooth my dentist pulled is healing fine and like i said the tooth she pulled isn't where this ulcer had formed but its on the same side just it's on the inner gum lining next to my tongue. So my first thing is I thought it was cancer which scares me to death since I am so young and have a 2 year old son :( I went back to my dentist and i didnt see the one who pulled it but a different one and he said it looks like a hole but could be an ulcer then sent me to an oral surgeon who says it doesn't look like oral cancer and no bone is coming out of the hole but he said he thinks it has something to do with the extraction since this formed just after the tooth was pulled. I have no answers as to what this is or why it formed in this weird place. but I need someone with expierence because this oral surgeon i saw didn't even ease my mind or even give me real good answers he was to worried about finding reasons to take my money for wisdom teeth and other broken down teeth. I am almost done with all of my dental work and feel so relieved but this has stopped me... It's like i try so hard to overcome my biggest fear and i get this thrown in my face. My question is - could something from the way she pulled this tooth out cause an ulcer type hole in my gum next to my tongue side or damage to something to cause this? or does this sound like something else. This is a gum colored hole its not very deep it actually seems to be getting more shallow.. underneath of it is like a sore lump but not big at all. It doesn't look cancerous its all gum colored. but I am unsure if it's something my dentist caused by getting this difficult tooth out. the oral surgeon said to come back in 3-4 weeks but no one knows what it is? I hope someone can give me some answers it would really help me out! Thank you to anyone who reads this I greatly appreciate it.

I'd have just thought it would be an ulcer? sometimes some of my ulcers look like a hole, sometimes they're just shallow. There's a lot going on during an extraction I think, injections, wiggling and lifting the tooth, any number of things would cause a little ulcer to form Id assume? You can't keep your mouth as clean as you normally could either IMO, so it's perfect for a little ulcer to get comfy and flare up! I got a large ulcer just from having a bite guard in, it was really far back in my mouth and right under my tongue too!

Try not to let it put you off, I'm sure it's nothing, just see it as a little bump in the road rather than a failure or massive set back.

I'm sure a dentist with the right knowledge and info will be along soon to answer you properly :)

I just thought, maybe you could put a picture up, see if that helps someone to give you a better idea/answer as to what it is?

I'd have just thought it would be an ulcer? sometimes some of my ulcers look like a hole, sometimes they're just shallow. There's a lot going on during an extraction I think, injections, wiggling and lifting the tooth, any number of things would cause a little ulcer to form Id assume? You can't keep your mouth as clean as you normally could either IMO, so it's perfect for a little ulcer to get comfy and flare up! I got a large ulcer just from having a bite guard in, it was really far back in my mouth and right under my tongue too!

Try not to let it put you off, I'm sure it's nothing, just see it as a little bump in the road rather than a failure or massive set back.

I'm sure a dentist with the right knowledge and info will be along soon to answer you properly :)

Thank you for the response :) ! Yeah I just don't know why the oral surgeon I saw didn't give me much feed back about it. It just doesn't seem like an ulcer to me but then again I never even had one. It's been here for 3 weeks if it was pretty big do you think it could take longer to heal up?

That big one of mine took two weeks, and it was huge in comparison to the normal ones I get.. In the end I zapped it with bonjela once, and after I came down from the ceiling it healed up within the next couple of days! I'm not suggesting you do the same, just incase it's something else.
I'd try and pop a photo on here and then you might get a better answer :)

That big one of mine took two weeks, and it was huge in comparison to the normal ones I get.. In the end I zapped it with bonjela once, and after I came down from the ceiling it healed up within the next couple of days! I'm not suggesting you do the same, just incase it's something else.
I'd try and pop a photo on here and then you might get a better answer :)

I tried getting a picture but it's not able to be seen since its far back enough on my gum :/ maybe I will try to make a new post and see if a dentist will see it again. I just want to figure this out! :(

Back