• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums.

Dentist shaved healthy tooth while adjusting bite with new crown. Now the healthy tooth is sensitive

K

KBinMI

Dentist shaved healthy tooth while adjusting bite with new crown. Now the healthy tooth is sensitive

I had a PFM crown placed on #30 about a week ago. The fitting process took a very long time, at least it seemed to me. When the crown was first put in for a test fit, it was WAY too high, meaning when I bit down the crown was hitting well before anything else. My dentist proceeded to take a little bit off the crown and test fit again. It was still way too high. After about 10 iterations of this, the crown still felt much too high. She looked at the upper tooth opposite the crown and told me that it was protruding down too far compared to the adjacent teeth. She told me that she was going to take off some of the enamel on the cusps of the healthy upper tooth, and that it wouldn't cause any problems. This made the bite a little better, but it was still too high. Bit-by-bit, she continued shaving down my healthy upper tooth until finally my bite felt "acceptable". As she was using the drill on the healthy upper tooth, occasionally I felt some sensitivity--nothing too bad, but it didn't feel quite right. She put some calcifying paste on the healthy tooth and said it should be fine.

Well, after 6 days it does not feel fine. When I eat crunchy food such as chips or pretzels, I feel sensitivity in the formerly healthy upper tooth. :mad: Not only that, since the cusp of that tooth was shaved off, the tooth doesn't seem to function as well for chewing. I am unhappy about the whole thing, and I'm afraid to go back to my dentist for fear that she'll make the situation even worse.

Is it possible the sensitivity in my upper tooth will subside with time? I assume this would be due to re-calcification? Or does the sensitivity indicate irreversible damage has been done that necessitates a filling?

Is it common practice to shave healthy teeth to make a crown fit? The way I see it, the crown should fit exactly as the tooth it replaced, so no adjustment to other teeth should be necessary.

Any insight or advice you could give me would be appreciated.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Re: Dentist shaved healthy tooth while adjusting bite with new crown. Now the healthy tooth is sensi

It is normal to adjust the opposing tooth at times BUT this should be a planned adjustment with you having knowledge and understanding as to why it should be done. It sounds like there was inadequate occlusal reduction during the preparation of the tooth and now the dentist was trying to place a crown where there wasn't room.
You may require a filling in the opposing tooth.

K

KBinMI

Re: Dentist shaved healthy tooth while adjusting bite with new crown. Now the healthy tooth is sensi

Thanks for the response. That's what I was afraid of. This crown was the first work I had done by my current dentist, and it seems like it was botched. I'll probably try to find someone else.