• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist suggested wisdom teeth extraction... (and more)

R

RaptorZX3

I went for an exam and deep cleaning on Tuesday, and the hygienist performed all that. But then the dentist came and checked my teeth.

Then she said i would need to take an appointment as soon as possible to try to save 2 teeth with cavity. I remember at the first appointment (before the extraction appointment i had for those 2 teeth unable to be saved without root canal, but those weren't covered) i had with a dentist at this cabinet, the dentist clearly told me "to come before holidays" for those.

Right now those 2 teeth doesn't hurt when i chew on them. But recently i have some slight pain across my whole teeth, maybe it's just something that happen randomly (you know, like when a small part of your skin get very sensitive it hurt when you scratch there, and it's like that for 1-3 days).

Then the dentist said to come back to repair another cavity on another teeth...

But then the hygienist told me, while showing me the x-rays, that there's a possibility that there's a cavity on a wisdom teeth, but now i really don't know because it wasn't visible on the x-rays (normally the "cavities" are shown as white stains it seem, on their devices at least), and the dentist said i should get all 4 wisdom teeth removed.

Ok now hold on a moment...i saw nothing cavity-like on the x-rays, even that digital rotating x-ray machine isn't able to get a good look of my wisdom teeth??

The thing is it seem like ALL dentists seem to agree on removing wisdom teeth even if it's not necessary. Aren't they thinking about all this damn pain and fear their patients might have? If that's possible to keep my teeth, i want to keep them. And this hygienist i met twice, is always insisting on "big cavity" (with a little foreign accent as well), it seem to be her favorite words to say to convince patients to do everything drastic!

Sorry but if it's possible to keep my wisdom teeth, i want to keep them! My mother still have hers, and i know a lot of friends had theirs removed, but i don't think mine are that bad! and i'm trying my best to clean them as well.

Do you think the hygienist and dentist might be too pushy to have wisdom teeth removed even if there's no cavity?

Mine might be a little angled, but hey, no one can have perfect teeth naturally. Geez...this make me want to go see another dentist for more exams, or more in-depth exams there, because hey, i want to keep those wisdom teeth if that's possible, i don't care what the dentist think about "wisdom teeth = extraction". I know those can cause problems, but so far i think i have no problem with them.

The hygienist did took manual x-rays with this small "frame" and canon-like camera, but it seem like she didn't took the x-rays deep enough to show wisdom teeth. I remember the hygienist showing (not showing?) me something on the photos that might be cavity, but i wasn't seeing anything on it, no "white blotches", really, i think they were just trying to find something that's not there. You know, like in those TV shows where someone dig in the ground for a treasure and they "just KNOW it's there" but even after hours and days, they found nothing at all.

About those white stains, i clearly remember, the dentist, at the first appointment, said it mean cavity, and on those teeth the hygienist told me about, they were no "white stain" at all.

The first dentist i met, that also performed the extraction, never told me about my wisdom teeth, he told me about the 2 other molars on the lower left (that i have to come before holidays) and this other molar on the top right with a smaller cavity, which need to be fixed.

And this other dentist i met seem like she wanted to remove those 2 molars on the lower left at the beginning, but then i stepped in by saying "but Dr. Lorange (the one i first met and performed extraction) said to come to fix those before holidays!", this is probably what changed her mind and then said she will try to fix those teeth instead...i swear you need to be careful with dentists or they would try to convince you to remove those teeth, or dentists who only care about their wallet, sadly...but i don't have that money for root canals, it cost so much, that's crazy!

Sorry about how strange the paragraphs and sentences might be made, i only typed what came in my mind just now. So yeah...i'll go for those appointments to fix those cavities (god i hate needles...), hopefully saving those 2 other teeth, but for those wisdom teeth, i want to keep them if that's possible, dammit! :cry:

And also...congratulations if you took the time to read all that!

Do you pay for dental treatment?

If so they could just be after your pennies. See another dentist for a second opinion.

i'm insured for fixing cavities and extractions, 1 deep cleaning per year, and denture/partial denture.

So even if i don't pay, maybe they just want to take them out even if they're ok, because for them, wisdom teeth just mean troubles. (or they even seem to like taking out wisdom teeth). I remember the dentist telling me "wisdom teeth are useless anyway" like they didn't care about all the stress, pain and recovery i have to go thru!

I'll go for those cavities to fix...

But why does Dr. Lorange told me to come back before holidays to fix those 2 teeth, and then this other dentist told me the best would be to extract them? And then when i told her about Dr. Lorange's opinion, she changed her thought about it and told me she will "try" to fix the cavities. I went for the deep cleaning and exam sooner than "end of November" expressly to have them fixed and having the best chances on my side.

I remember, for the extraction, i was supposed to see a different dentist, but i'm glad it was Dr. Lorange, and not another dentist i didn't see before. I even shook hand with him. I didn't need any stitch and no bone fragment came out of the extraction sites.

I called a hour ago and it seem like Dr. Lorange is booked till in January, sadly...otherwise i would have asked the receptionist to switch place with him instead.

i called yesterday to ask if they could find an appointment with Dr. Lorange, and i was able to meet him the same day to repair those 2 teeth.

Afterward, i've been told that it wasn't 1 cavity to fix but 2, 1 on the upper right and 1 on the lower right.

And the dentist told me about the wisdom teeth, all 4 have cavity, but the thing is there's 1 that isn't completely out yet. And he said it's very hard to repair wisdom teeth and much prefer to remove them instead...

But since fixing those 2 cavities from yesterday, i'll wait for the next two, i took the next appointment for middle of next month. Because the 2 cavities i had to fix on the lower left, the dentist told me it was very near the nerve, but after the appointment, he told me it looked great., but no 100% certainty it got removed completely. I hope so...

One thing is sure, i will probably HATE to have those 4 wisdom teeth removed, but that will probably be for after the holidays.

Back