• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist tomorrow first time in 30 years ?

J

Jay45169

Hi guys ..... I have my first appointment with a dentist in 30 years in the morning .... Not feeling to great very very anxious tbh really badly suffering with nerves . ... My teeth are in really bad shape, missing teeth, rotten teeth,..have one that I just fill with temporary filler now ,, about 9 months ago I was in total agony with but haven't since think it's totally dead .. been suffering the past year with them.. Lately one is my top left wisdom tooth which has a hole that goes along the gumline ?and very discoloured, bleeds some times now ,found it about a year ago , I even put temporary filler in my teeth so not to go to the dentist ..... absolutely ?a nervous wreck .. doubt I'll sleep ... Phobia anxiety of a dentist is crippling

Hi Jay45169:welcome:,

very well done on scheduling.. what a step! :you-rock:I can imagine that sleeping won't be possible right now and you must be a nervous wreck, we all have been before our first appointment (and later too). You are doing something incredibly brave and definitely the right thing. Is anyone coming with you today?

very well done on scheduling.. what a step! :you-rock:I can imagine that sleeping won't be possible right now and you must be a nervous wreck, we all have been before our first appointment (and later too). You are doing something incredibly brave and definitely the right thing. Is anyone coming with you today?
Thanks for the reply and kind words. haven't slept at all ...I always over think things as a anxious person.. but this absolutely huge ... wrecked with anxiety now tbh ...haven't eatin anything since Sunday because of nerves ..haven't slept either?....iam going by myself tho..due to covid restrictions now

My appointment is in 2 hrs time .... Hopefully I can do this ??...my teeth are in such a bad bad state , terrible ...... So worried

You got this! The first appointment is the worst one, but you’re doing great! Does your practice know about your anxiety / background? And is there anything particular that worries you?

You got this! The first appointment is the worst one, but you’re doing great! Does your practice know about your anxiety / background? And is there anything particular that worries you?
.. I just told them that i hadn't been to a dentist in 30 years on the phone on Monday ...but didn't tell them about my anxiety problems .....it's a new dentist iam seeing as never really had one ...... Absolutely in fear mode now ..so worried ... absolutely don't feel to good , maybe not eating in a few days doesn't help ...but the stomach would go into a mess if I did ... totall madness

My heart goes to you, you are super brave. Sounds like the last couple of days has been exhausting. Hope they treat you kindly and most importantly, hope you stay kind to yourself. Being a mess really belongs to the process. If it wasn't that difficult, everyone would do it (much earlier), right?
Remember that the first visit is also about YOU deciding whether you like this practice and would like to work with them. Sending virtual hugs!

My heart goes to you, you are super brave. Sounds like the last couple of days has been exhausting. Hope they treat you kindly and most importantly, hope you stay kind to yourself. Being a mess really belongs to the process. If it wasn't that difficult, everyone would do it (much earlier), right?
Remember that the first visit is also about YOU deciding whether you like this practice and would like to work with them. Sending virtual hugs!
Thanks Enarete ...I really appreciate it ..first person I've talked to about it ....other than my mother ..nobody else ....

Good luck to you! I can relate to how you feel. I’ve also had those same feelings and sleepless nights but you’ve made some huge steps already by finding a dentist and making an appointment. Thinking of you and let us know how you get on! ?

Good luck to you! I can relate to how you feel. I’ve also had those same feelings and sleepless nights but you’ve made some huge steps already by finding a dentist and making an appointment. Thinking of you and let us know how you get on! ?
Thanks Katie x...... really appreciate it .... Well had my examination & x-rays..was very very nervous in the waiting room tbh ?... As I went in Andrew the dentist was superb tbh ....first I said I had to apologize for the condition of my teeth & explained why & be prepared for my teeth, he was great even the dental nurse said there not as bad as some & what you think , checked all my teeth .. they do need a good bit of work like bridges & crowns & some fillings ..oh and a wisdom tooth & another out as he explained after ?? but I new it was gonna be that. But he said they are very very clean, & I've probably the same amount of plaque as in his and healthy gums ....keep doing what iam doing as in cleaning wise...always clean mine now everytime I have food ... First step done?.. can't tell you how nervous I was tbh.. a wreck
Back on Friday to have a chat about my x-rays and take a couple of moulds .... But he said not be doing any work until the holidays are over

Heyyy, congrats and well done! :jump::jump::jump: your dentist and nurse sound amazing! So glad the treated you kindly and could put you at ease. I bet you will sleep like a baby this night, after all those days. Hope you can get some rest today. I slept for 16 hours after my first appointment back then!:off-to-bed:

Thanks Enarete ...I really appreciate it ..first person I've talked to about it ....other than my mother ..nobody else ....
Heyyy, congrats and well done! :jump::jump::jump: your dentist and nurse sound amazing! So glad the treated you kindly and could put you at ease. I bet you will sleep like a baby this night, after all those days. Hope you can get some rest today. I slept for 16 hours after my first appointment back then!:off-to-bed:
Thank you Enarete ???really appreciate that ... I'll still probably work myself up as in anxiety wise ? in future appointments when the work starts tbh ? but I've made the first step & hopefully I can smile normally for next year ..... Still alot of work for Andrew and the team ...doubt the anxiety feeling will ever go completely tbh.. but I drastically need the teeth fixed has went on to long and would only get worse ... Forgot to say ... That even Andrew asked about did I have bad experience when I was wrong and I told him yes .... One was when I was very very young I went to get 2 teeth out & when I woke up they actually took 7 out ??... The other was when I was 15 the last time I ever went to a dentist .....I had all my top row gums cut away to show more teeth ????

Thanks Katie x...... really appreciate it .... Well had my examination & x-rays..was very very nervous in the waiting room tbh ?... As I went in Andrew the dentist was superb tbh ....first I said I had to apologize for the condition of my teeth & explained why & be prepared for my teeth, he was great even the dental nurse said there not as bad as some & what you think , checked all my teeth .. they do need a good bit of work like bridges & crowns & some fillings ..oh and a wisdom tooth & another out as he explained after ?? but I new it was gonna be that. But he said they are very very clean, & I've probably the same amount of plaque as in his and healthy gums ....keep doing what iam doing as in cleaning wise...always clean mine now everytime I have food ... First step done?.. can't tell you how nervous I was tbh.. a wreck
Back on Friday to have a chat about my x-rays and take a couple of moulds .... But he said not be doing any work until the holidays are over

Wow that’s amazing, well done. Sounds like you found a great dentist and sounds like you did great. I think one of the worst parts for me is the not knowing what the problems are, in my head I always imagine the worst. Now you know what you need to do, you can work at tackling it one step at a time.
You’re obviously doing a great job at the cleaning side of things. I find the waiting room horrible as well. Sometimes I wait outside until it’s my appointment so I go straight in. My dentist is usually running on time but I had to wait about 15 mins yesterday before my root canal and I couldn’t sit still.
I bet you feel better in yourself already ?

Wow that’s amazing, well done. Sounds like you found a great dentist and sounds like you did great. I think one of the worst parts for me is the not knowing what the problems are, in my head I always imagine the worst. Now you know what you need to do, you can work at tackling it one step at a time.
You’re obviously doing a great job at the cleaning side of things. I find the waiting room horrible as well. Sometimes I wait outside until it’s my appointment so I go straight in. My dentist is usually running on time but I had to wait about 15 mins yesterday before my root canal and I couldn’t sit still.
I bet you feel better in yourself already ?
A little bit I do Katie,,, ye was not great sitting there but wasn't to long tbh . hopefully gets easier tbh tho still be anxious times ahead just the way I am wired ....... But I forgot to say to him about my top left wisdom tooth being abit painfull ,, with everything going on in my head ?...just don't want it being bad over the holidays when with the family and want to enjoy Christmas ,, so iam gonna mention this to him on Friday.. maybe he'll help

A little bit I do Katie,,, ye was not great sitting there but wasn't to long tbh . hopefully gets easier tbh tho still be anxious times ahead just the way I am wired ....... But I forgot to say to him about my top left wisdom tooth being abit painfull ,, with everything going on in my head ?...just don't want it being bad over the holidays when with the family and want to enjoy Christmas ,, so iam gonna mention this to him on Friday.. maybe he'll help

Same here. I started trying to tackle my dental phobia about 3 years ago and I’m still a mess the night before and when I get there. But we are trying and that’s the main thing. Yes I would just mention that on Friday. Sometimes making notes beforehand on your phone or paper, to make sure you ask everything you need.

Same here. I started trying to tackle my dental phobia about 3 years ago and I’m still a mess the night before and when I get there. But we are trying and that’s the main thing. Yes I would just mention that on Friday. Sometimes making notes beforehand on your phone or paper, to make sure you ask everything you need.
Ye good idea about the notes tbh?? ...maybe he'll take it out before Xmas jst incase the tooth gets worse ,, don't want to be miserable over Christmas ..

Hi guys ,, quick question is it ok if I take a few painkillers this morning just to settle my stomach and nerves ... Co-codamol they are .... My appointment is in 3 hrs ... nervous wreck here ...

Hi guys ,, quick question is it ok if I take a few painkillers this morning just to settle my stomach and nerves ... Co-codamol they are .... My appointment is in 3 hrs ... nervous wreck here ...

I wished I could answer this for you.. As your dentist knows about your painkiller use, would it be an idea to ring your practice quickly and ask them?

I wished I could answer this for you.. As your dentist knows about your painkiller use, would it be an idea to ring your practice quickly and ask them?
Tbh Enarete and thanks for a quick reply friend ,, I took 2 dissolved painkillers there just to calm my stomach I'll not take anymore now ....until after the appointment which is in 2 hrs time ..just to settle myself ???

Chew gum or a polo. It tricks the mind( if your eating you can’t be in a stressful situation) so it calms you down a bit, always helps me a bit

Back