• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist vs Hospital Removal

P

Patches

TLDR I'm Australian need at least one wisdom tooth removed. It's a bottom one not fully emerged currently infected. Unsure whether to get it done at dentist or hospital would love to hear pros and cons, differences between two and people's experiences. Thank you in advance.

Made a post yesterday in support forum but now that I know I need to have a wisdom tooth removed I wanted to ask here about others experience. My bottom left tooth is infected going on antibiotics but need it removed to fix it long term. I have my top two wisdom teeth but they've seemed to come in straight and caused no trouble to me (dentist said the impacted one is also straight). I asked him whether just the one would need removal and he said yes. But the thing is my bottom right hasn't come up at all I got an X-ray elsewhere and now know I have a 4th tooth. Is it likely they'll want to remove this one too? Wish I could've gone back and asked the dentist about it but will have to wait until next appointment which won't be for at least a week as need infection to go down.

Main question as title suggests is people's experience with removal at dentist vs hospital. I'm in Australia if that makes a difference. I had baby teeth pulled as a kid and well I loathed each time it was okay, fast only felt something once (did four sessions). I do remember crying during some of it but I always refused to raise my hand to stop because I just wanted it to be over with already. But this is pretty different as that was already loose baby teeth and this is cutting into gum and removing an adult tooth. Granted my mouth was only numbed for that I wasn't given anything like gas or whatever. Just sitting in that chair today while he looked in my mouth was freaking me out. Felt like I was gonna gag at one point when he was poking at it. My parents think the hospital would be worse. Are adamant about 'it's only 10-20 minutes then it's over'. I don't know I'm just scared. Being put to sleep and waking up with it all over sounds so much better than sitting there while they're doing stuff inside your mouth. How aware have you guys been with the numbing and anaesthetic? Is it indeed laughing gas? Do you just inhale in beforehand and then they get to work? Please share your experiences. I've tried googling and reading up but I think hearing from people who also have a fear of dentist is much better and will give me a better idea. As far as I know none of my friends have had any removed. My mother's friend had a wisdom tooth removed at dentist so that's reinforced her opinion that dentist is the way to go. With the hospital since it's an IV do you have to stay there afterwards while it's removed from your system or something? I've never had any surgery or anything done at all. Only time I've been in hospital is when I was really little I fractured my collar bone.

Last edited:
With IV sedation, once the operation is finished, they will watch you for some time to make sure you get to a stable and safe state, usually around 30 minutes, before releasing you in the hands of a responsible adults who will take care of you for the rest of the day and make sure you don't hurt yourself or do anything you wouldn't do in your normal state.

With IV sedation, once the operation is finished, they will watch you for some time to make sure you get to a stable and safe state, usually around 30 minutes, before releasing you in the hands of a responsible adults who will take care of you for the rest of the day and make sure you don't hurt yourself or do anything you wouldn't do in your normal state.
Oh that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the information. So you sit around for a little bit in a recovery room before actually leaving whereas dentist you'd probably be straight home. Do you stay a bit loopy afterwards? I'm assuming the numbing sticks around for a while. When I had teeth removed as a kid I normally got home with a numb mouth had a nap and woke up with it gone.

I'm a little worried about dealing with the gauze never did well with blood in my mouth as a kid but I'm hoping I've passed that. And seeing the extraction site might freak me out idk I'm fine with looking at my infected tooth so maybe not. Maybe I'll squint my eyes while I do it so I'll be able to see but it'll be blurry. Is changing gauze easy? As in could I do it without looking. I could perhaps get my dad to do it if he's around but my mother hates teeth stuff she won't even look at my current tooth situation.

You shouldn’t have to change the gauze. Most of the time, the bleeding stops very quickly. If you do need to change it, you don’t need to look at it. Just take the old gauze out and put a new piece in to not down on. No need to be precise about its placement so you can do it by feel. With extractions, the less you mess with them/touch them/look at them, the better for healing.

You shouldn’t have to change the gauze. Most of the time, the bleeding stops very quickly. If you do need to change it, you don’t need to look at it. Just take the old gauze out and put a new piece in to not down on. No need to be precise about its placement so you can do it by feel. With extractions, the less you mess with them/touch them/look at them, the better for healing.

Oh this is fantastic news thank you so much! I hope that's the case for me.

Back