• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist wont fix my chipped molar

N

nusselt

I ve a chipped molar due to bruxism but my dentist has told that she wont fix it because it doesn't affect my bite
Is this normal?
I m afraid that I will need a more complex procedure when time passes

Hi Nusselt I was wondering whether you got a night guard to take care of the bruxism in the first place. If that is not the case, then a filling placed to fix it wouldn't last anyway - you would grind it away again. I have seen few with worn teeth from grinding, but the dentist never suggested building them back up so the suggestion of your dentist doesn't sound that strange to me (however I am not a dentists so not sure whether there are exceptions to this). If you keep on grinding and have no night guard then you probably damage your teeth further.

Hi Nusselt,

Yes, it is a reasonable thing to do. I assume your dentist does not see much benefit in adding the broken part. I also recommend it to my patients. I see myself as a very conservative dentist and the reason for it is: the more you do, the more chances for complications, so there should be a good indication to interfere.

Back