• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentistry done yourself??

S

scared2bthere

I appologize if a similar thread has been opened in the past but I didn't search past slimming a couple pages.

I'm wondering what each of the phobics and ex phobics around here have done to themselves in the name of Dental Care? Dentists can answer too, THAT might be interesting.

I worked in the health care field for quite some time. Back when I had my first surgical extraction, this was actually BEFORE I was afraid of Dentistry, I cut and removed my own sutures from a Wiz tooth extraction.

More recently I had a tooth break and it was really sharp and hurting my tongue so I took a fingernail file, one of the metal ones and filed it down till I cound stand it. Well I actually filed another down while I was at it. :redface:

Nothing too major thankfully.

Hmm... I don't recall doing any major diy work. I have had some chipped teeth from various incidents that I have done some minor filing down on.

Read Scaredstiffs journal, she is the best at DIY dentistry!!! I'm a registered nurse so I did the same thing that you did, removed a few sutures after my lower extraction. They were supposed to dissolve but didn't and they were irritating me. I have also filed off some rough spots on my denture and it really worked to relieve some sore spots and saved me a visit to the office. Just a few minor things and I guess I should say that it's really best to see your dentist!

Gee, thanks Steffi, but that was only DIY on dentures. Previous to that over the many, many years that I wouldnt - couldnt - go to a dentist I drained abscesses, attempted to fill teeth, was continually hacking away at the tartar building up and of course, gently easing out back teeth as they loosened. In fact now when I think of some of the things I used to do, it just seems unbelievable that I'm so sane - and no remarks about that thank you:giggle:

No, nothing ever. The thought of filing down something in my own mouth just makes my toes curl! But then, I'm squeamish - can't watch anything on TV about surgery, or with blood or guts in. With this last 20 year absence from the dentist's, I was lucky in that I only had a toothache once, 8 years ago, for about half a day - no more pain, no infections that I know of or obvious abcesses - think if that had happened I would have forced myself to the dentist sooner!:o My two broken back teeth were sharp and always cutting my tongue - I was so uninterested in teeth I didn't even know that DIY emergency filling stuff was available, anyway, til I read it here! But no I would never have used it as common sense told me the thing would still be rotting away underneath (maybe even exacerbated?)

Me, I always ran for the Salt Water. Or Brandy. Adult Strength Liquid Tylenol. Ambesol..you name it, whatever I can do to get out of it, I did.

I can't even stand a toothpick...

Back