• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentists differing opinions

A

Anxiousgirl

Hi
Am hoping someone might be able to help me

After some nightmare dental work by my nhs dentist, I decided to get some more opinions and now I'm confused.

i had a root canal and crown placed that didn't resolve my pain. I then saw another NHS dentist and a private dentist, who both agreed the tooth should come out, which I then had done 2 weeks ago (it was the second upper premolar) as there wasn't enough tooth left to crown, and it still seemed to be causing me pain. (I've actually still got the same pain now the tooth is gone, but I'll save that for another thread!)

i then had a check up with the new NHS dentist and then the private dentist. The nhs dentist (she's newly qualified) said all the other teeth looked ok, and recommended a Maryland bridge to replace the premolar, as she didn't want to crown healthy teeth.

the private dentist, who extracted the tooth, recommends a fixed bridge and said the Maryland bridge is not the solution. He also said I need my crown in a lower premolar replaced and a few fillings replaced, but he said these can wait.

I'm finding it hard to know which dentist to go with.

Would a Maryland bridge be strong enough for a premolar?

Thanks

Dentistry isn't a precise science and dentists are very opinionated people, so differences in treatment philosophy and planning is very common.
A Maryland bridge can be a viable replacement for a premolar, but it's hard to say without looking.

The private guy may well want to cover himself if it fails early, if you've charged somebody 600 pounds for something that fails after a week, you'll be less popular than somebody who you've charged 90 pounds for it! A conventional bridge is a much more reliable way to replace a premolar than a Maryland.

Thanks Gordon, that's reassuring to know. I did read on here somewhere something along the lines of if you ask 4 dentists you'll get 5 opinions!

Here's another one:
I would place an implant so that it is easy to keep clean and I don't have to do anything to the adjacent teeth at all. But remember I'm very comfortable with that procedure.

Hi,
the dentist did talk about an implant, and if it was any nearer the front of my mouth, and if I wasn't so petrified of any procedure, I would do it!

i appreciate the input though. Thank you

Hi,
the dentist did talk about an implant, and if it was any nearer the front of my mouth, and if I wasn't so petrified of any procedure, I would do it!

i appreciate the input though. Thank you

In your situation an implant is what dentists would choose for themselves (you said a premolar?). The tooth has already gone so needs to be replaced. If you can afford it, I can assure you that a straightforward pre-molar implant is easier from the patient's perspective than a crown. I have experienced both.
You would need to go to an experienced private implantologist though - you don't want to pay all that money for someone to be practising their implants on you.

Back