• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentists, do you think less of "frequent fliers"?

P

prolix

Hi, I guess I just want some reassurance about what my dentist thinks of me.

I've had some pain in my gum the last few days. I had my last appointment (all OK) about 2 months ago, and I have another appointment a month and a half (cleanings every 3 months or so are pretty common here.) Tomorrow I'm planning to go in despite that and double-check about the gum pain and what looks like a possible sinus tract.

Normally I'd just wait until the next checkup, because it's annoying but not debilitating, but with all the other countries shutting down non-emergency dental services, I'm concerned it could come here in a couple weeks and shut everything down and my checkup will end up cancelled. Seems better safe than sorry, right? (Everything is pretty normal here for the moment but I doubt it'll stay that way long. Needless to say I'm totally healthy and haven't had contact with any sick people or I wouldn't dream of going.)

I just really like my dentist and I don't want her to think I'm paranoid/hypochondriac/weird, and I was hoping some dentist in here could reassure me that it's not going to be a black mark on my record to come in like that even though I saw her not that long ago.

Speaking personally, I'd rather see an anxious patient sooner than later, I'd much rather pick up an issue when it was a minor one rather than wait till it becomes a big deal. I'm fairly certain my colleagues on here feel the same.

Not a dentist, but from what you write, it doesn't sound like you are a "frequent flyer". You put it quite nicely, saying you would usually wait until the next check-up but the emergency situation makes you worry about shutting of dental services. I think that is a clear and plausible explanation why popping in now and doesn't make you an annoying patient.

Back