• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentists .... MTHFR and nitrous oxide

T

Tammie

Ok, so I need some dental work - a crown and three fillings. I absolutely can't do oral or IV sedation unless my life depends on it (prior history of being drugged - causes flashbacks and absolutely terrifies me), so I think nitrous is my best and really only option. I freak out with just a cleaning so going in for more invasive work without something isn't going to happen (the ultrasonic cleaner sounds too much like a drill and it hurts me!). I've had nitrous as a child and from what I remember it was ok. I don't remember any ill effects from the nitrous itself.

My question is: I have MTHFR and I've read where NO2 can lower vitamin B12 levels. Have you heard of this? I was hoping to supplement after my procedure to bring my B12 levels back up to normal. I take oral B12 on a daily basis. Do you know of any research articles or protocols related to this? Most doctors I talk to don't have a clue about anything related to nutrition.

Thanks!!!

No easy answer. Nitrous oxide raises your plasma homocysteine level for everyone for a couple of days. This isn't good for your heart but most everyone can tolerate it just fine now and then.
Now your problem is special to you and others with this particular gene defect.
There is an article on the Anesthesiology Journal in July 2013 that may apply to you. Unless you have a strong science background it would be difficult to understand. This forum is not suitable to lending advice on very specific patient issues like this. I did want you to you there is literature that addresses your concern.
You might best be treated by a dental anesthesiologist working with your dentist.

Back