• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentophobia

P

pcmb12

hello I have what i call severe phobia of the dentists, so much so i have not been for 30 years, considering that I dont think my teeth are really bad over the holidays I have two of my posted caps/crowns come off the posts, I cemented them back in because I was too afraid to let people know, I am 67 and this feeling i have will not go away, but I know I must go and get them redone, goes back a long way does my phobia, I have a very low threshold of pain, I would rather be sedated for every single thing even looking at my teeth by someone fills me with dread, can you tell me anything that would make me feel positive about going, as said I hate pain

pcmb12,

Welcome to DFC! We are glad you wrote here and are processing what is happening to you. You are in the right place with many who understand avoidance of dentistry for years.. You are not alone.. You have come to a good place to though realizing where you are at in your dental phobia and the very act of writing on here says you are ready more now , even if not to take the plunge at least thinking of things.

I think the thing I'd encourage you is .. You don't have to let anyone even look until you feel comfortable. There are many of us here that went to appts just to step in the door and meet the staff and take babysteps. then once you feel comfortable with a place you can then maybe let them take a look then treatment once you feel up to it.

Also the good thing is that dentistry has gotten a lot less painful in the last 30 years!! They have gotten more aware of the need for painfree dentistry and technology is amazing to help make it so and I think many dentists are quite sensitive about this. I know my dentist this is one of his main goals is painfree dentistry and he does an amazing job to maintain that! I think alot of them do!

If you do choose sedation option there are plenty of dentist out there that have this as an option too . Remember that you are in charge and that your dentist should want to do what is best for you making you comfortable.

Hi and Welcome!
You are definitely not alone here! I think @krlovesherkids777 has covered most of it but I want to emphasize that there are lots of lovely dentists out there who want to help people just like you. There have been big improvements made in the area of pain control and sedation is always an option if you feel like that’s what it is going to take to get things done. The best first step is to just window shop a bit...maybe Google some practices in your area just to look around and see what’s available to you. If one of them happens to appeal to you, you don’t have to call them. You could send them an email explaining your concerns and see how they respond. If they respond kindly, you may feel better about going into the office for an appointment and meeting them in person. Customer reviews can also be a helpful indicator of how phobic-friendly the office is.

Hi and Welcome!
You are definitely not alone here! I think @krlovesherkids777 has covered most of it but I want to emphasize that there are lots of lovely dentists out there who want to help people just like you. There have been big improvements made in the area of pain control and sedation is always an option if you feel like that’s what it is going to take to get things done. The best first step is to just window shop a bit...maybe Google some practices in your area just to look around and see what’s available to you. If one of them happens to appeal to you, you don’t have to call them. You could send them an email explaining your concerns and see how they respond. If they respond kindly, you may feel better about going into the office for an appointment and meeting them in person. Customer reviews can also be a helpful indicator of how phobic-friendly the office is.

Thank you so much, my phobia has got worse over the years, I have googled some places and I think I may have found somewhere, just that initial walk over the door, sedation is probably the best for me, have been listening to various videos but nothing seems to help. Facebook lady told me also about the one I have found and she has a phobia and she has called them her life saver, hopefully they can be mine. Still the butterflies are doing wonders in my stomach

pcmb12,

Welcome to DFC! We are glad you wrote here and are processing what is happening to you. You are in the right place with many who understand avoidance of dentistry for years.. You are not alone.. You have come to a good place to though realizing where you are at in your dental phobia and the very act of writing on here says you are ready more now , even if not to take the plunge at least thinking of things.

I think the thing I'd encourage you is .. You don't have to let anyone even look until you feel comfortable. There are many of us here that went to appts just to step in the door and meet the staff and take babysteps. then once you feel comfortable with a place you can then maybe let them take a look then treatment once you feel up to it.

Also the good thing is that dentistry has gotten a lot less painful in the last 30 years!! They have gotten more aware of the need for painfree dentistry and technology is amazing to help make it so and I think many dentists are quite sensitive about this. I know my dentist this is one of his main goals is painfree dentistry and he does an amazing job to maintain that! I think alot of them do!

If you do choose sedation option there are plenty of dentist out there that have this as an option too . Remember that you are in charge and that your dentist should want to do what is best for you making you comfortable.

thank you so much, the butterflies in my stomach are doing overtime, just feels me with complete dread, but I know I have to go,

hello I have what i call severe phobia of the dentists, so much so i have not been for 30 years, considering that I dont think my teeth are really bad over the holidays I have two of my posted caps/crowns come off the posts, I cemented them back in because I was too afraid to let people know, I am 67 and this feeling i have will not go away, but I know I must go and get them redone, goes back a long way does my phobia, I have a very low threshold of pain, I would rather be sedated for every single thing even looking at my teeth by someone fills me with dread, can you tell me anything that would make me feel positive about going, as said I hate pain

Is there any thing, any medication I can take before I go to them

Hi pcmb12,

glad you started looking around and make yourself ready to see someone. I'm afraid there is no quick fix to dental anxiety, but we have a lot of advice in the What Can Help section here on the page. As mentioned above, try not to think of pain, the time dentistry was painful is over. The first step is to chat to the dentist and find out what needs to get done anyway.

I wouldn't advise you on taking any medication on your own before going. If you feel you need some additional help there, let your practice know as you get in touch with them and ask them what they can do to help.

All the best wishes and keep us posted