• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture adventure

Little less than two months to go to start the process of getting my permanent set done. I wish I could say that the time has just flown by, but it hasn’t lol. I have been able to switch to powder adhesive though, and highly recommend it. Seems to work so much better. Had a few moments of embarrassment browsing the denture section at Walmart but screw it, what do I care what people think. Just wish I could find a denture cleaner/soaking solution that doesn’t make me gag. Ugh. That stuff smells and tastes weird. Am able to eat toffee bars again!! (Broken in pieces, but hey I’ll take it)

Boxermom,

I'm not sure if this is proper as I never mentioned this to my dentist.. :p but. I used to let my partial soak in the mouthwash to be minty and fresh. yes, I would use the cleaner but then the mouthwash and it would have a more fresh taste. again not sure if this is good or not lol . I should ask.. (after years.).

Had a few moments of embarrassment browsing the denture section at Walmart but screw it, what do I care what people think. Just wish I could find a denture cleaner/soaking solution that doesn’t make me gag. Ugh. That stuff smells and tastes weird. Am able to eat toffee bars again!! (Broken in pieces, but hey I’ll take it)

I am absolutely sure that people who do not wear dentures haven‘t thought for a minute that you might be looking for a product to use yourself. And people who might have the thought have dentures themselves so they don‘t find it strange.

BoxerMom, I have only just read "Denture Adventure" now. (I don't know how I missed it?)
It's sounds like you have very readily come to terms with these things. That is very sad about the pricing of implants though.
I am happy that you're enjoying toffee again. What an exciting prospect.. I prefer to sook toffees now, but only because I didn't have stable enough teeth to chew the stuff! Now I am adding it to my todo list (or my "tochew list!)
Well done all the way. :) A very comforting story. Thanks.

BoxerMom, I have only just read "Denture Adventure" now. (I don't know how I missed it?)
It's sounds like you have very readily come to terms with these things. That is very sad about the pricing of implants though.
I am happy that you're enjoying toffee again. What an exciting prospect.. I prefer to sook toffees now, but only because I didn't have stable enough teeth to chew the stuff! Now I am adding it to my todo list (or my "tochew list!)
Well done all the way. :) A very comforting story. Thanks.
Thank you! Yes I’ve come to terms with it because my reality before was very unpleasant and all that I’ve been through since August does not compare to the pain and suffering before I got my dentures. As for the toffee, I just gotta make sure they’re glued down tight and go for it! But sandwiches are still a no go as I just don’t have the ability to really bite in the front.

Hmm. Just realized it’s been a looong time since I posted. I’m in the final stage of my adventure and anxious for it to be finished. As with everything else, it’s behind schedule by 3 months so it just seems to be dragging on. Today I have another appointment- this one is the second bite/alignment check. If all goes good then I’ll have my permanent set in two weeks. If not, then at least another month. Bit of an issue because I asked that the size of the teeth be increased which skewed the bite. Like I said I’m just ready to be done with all this. I know this year has been rough for everybody - add to that all the problems my family has had this year. Ugh.

Hi Boxermom glad to hear you are now in the final stages of your dental journey . I was lucky and finished my journey 2 weeks before lockdown in the uk it is such a fantastic feeling to know i got through it and survived but more important to feel happy to smile with confidence .
I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all your help and support I don't think I would have got through it without you all ?

Hmm. Just realized it’s been a looong time since I posted. I’m in the final stage of my adventure and anxious for it to be finished. As with everything else, it’s behind schedule by 3 months so it just seems to be dragging on. Today I have another appointment- this one is the second bite/alignment check. If all goes good then I’ll have my permanent set in two weeks. If not, then at least another month. Bit of an issue because I asked that the size of the teeth be increased which skewed the bite. Like I said I’m just ready to be done with all this. I know this year has been rough for everybody - add to that all the problems my family has had this year. Ugh.

Congratulations on coming along so far! You’re one of the people who started their journey around the same time I started mine, so your username always stands out for me! Look at you just going to bite appointments now. ? You’re getting so close to the finish line and you’ve come so far. Hang in there!

Got my permanent set today. It’s gonna be a bit of an adjustment and is kinda uncomfortable right now but nothing I can’t handle. 10 months and so many changes later lol. For anyone reading this that hasn’t been able to make that first appointment, I know what you’re feeling. I never, ever thought I’d be able to get through all of this, but I did. I was not able to make that call to the dentist without going into full-blown panic (crying, shaking, nauseous, heart-pounding). My husband called for me - that was the only way. He went to those first few appointments with me and I remember wanting to run so bad but I knew I had to do something. That something for me was full extraction and dentures but I was prepared for that. It feels so weird to have a full, normal smile again.

Congratulations on crossing the finishing line, BoxerMom ?!!

I suppose even with the permanent set, there are usually a few adjustments needed until they fit perfectly. Hope it's not too uncomfortable in the meantime.

Enjoy your new smile :thumbsup:!!

Boxermom

You and your journey is really an inspiration. You have been through so much .. really congrats on making it.. hope it is an easy adjustment and you will have a celebration for yourself :)

What a lovely update, BoxerMom, congrats! :claps: Sounds like you will need a bit of time to get adjusted and used to the fact of having a normal smile again, but I am confident that you will conquer also this last piece of the journey soon too. I just went over your very first posts here. It‘s beautiful to see how far you have come! :love:

So I am finally done - no more appointments scheduled currently, all adjustments done for now. It’s been a long year, made longer because of the virus of course. I hope to get implants for the bottoms eventually but I figured out a trick with the adhesive so it’s not so bad. I love having a mouthful of teeth again! I love being able to smile and talk normally.

So I am finally done - no more appointments scheduled currently, all adjustments done for now. It’s been a long year, made longer because of the virus of course. I hope to get implants for the bottoms eventually but I figured out a trick with the adhesive so it’s not so bad. I love having a mouthful of teeth again! I love being able to smile and talk normally.
Yay! Congratulations! We started our journeys together and it makes me so happy you got to the end of the road. Enjoy! Smile big and proud. You earned it.

I second @thisisme !!! :jump: :cheer2: :perfect: :welldone: So happy for you!! Its so nice to see the end of dental goals!!! This is awesome!!

Back