• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture adventure

BoxerMom

BoxerMom

5 days following extractions and first day back at work. I know millions of people have been through the same things I’m going through, and I try to remember that... I know I’m going to get better, I know that I’m going to get used to them, but ugh. I do not regret getting them, but I really feel like I’m never going to get used to them. I’ve had one adjustment already, and I have another tomorrow - there’s a few places that I can tell them about now that the swelling has gone down some. But I developed this terrible bruise on my right side of my jaw. Wouldn’t be concerned about that normally, but tomorrow my office is having a grand opening and they’ll be lots of people here. And yesterday was my birthday.
Anyway, I wanted to start this journal to look back on later and hopefully be in a much better state of mind and health. This is to remind me that things should get better.

Just wanted to give some support! I am also 5 days past surgery, and extraction of my front upper center tooth. I also am struggling with getting used to the flipper, while healing from surgery. I need to call to get an adjustment but honestly can't face going to the dentist so soon after surgery.

I also have the lovely bruise. Ugh. Mine is along my upper lip (which is still swollen also) and down the right side of my cheek. Looks awful, doesn't it? Luckily I am not seeing clients this week, but I do have to go to school events with my kids.

It will get better each day! That is what I am telling myself. The end results will be worth it. Plus getting to eat foods that are not mushy is an incentive!

Just wanted to give some support! I am also 5 days past surgery, and extraction of my front upper center tooth. I also am struggling with getting used to the flipper, while healing from surgery. I need to call to get an adjustment but honestly can't face going to the dentist so soon after surgery.

I also have the lovely bruise. Ugh. Mine is along my upper lip (which is still swollen also) and down the right side of my cheek. Looks awful, doesn't it? Luckily I am not seeing clients this week, but I do have to go to school events with my kids.

It will get better each day! That is what I am telling myself. The end results will be worth it. Plus getting to eat foods that are not mushy is an incentive!
Hey MM!
Thanks for the support, hope you’re feeling better soon. I know you’ve been having issues with your flipper, and I totally relate to not wanting to go back so soon. I honestly don’t mind going back as I know the worst is over for me, but yeah, I know how you feel! I’m relearning to speak and eat, and I keep telling myself it sounds worse in my head than I think when I talk. But I’ve asked our office manager to screen my phone calls today, and she’s been super helpful about all this. I’m okay if I think before I speak, but that doesn’t always happen lol.

Hi BoxerMom. I read your other thread and now will be following this one. I hope I’ll be brave as you one day soon. You are an inspiration!
As for your bruise - a little concealer mixed with moisturiser and nobody but you will know it’s there ❤️

Hi BoxerMom. I read your other thread and now will be following this one. I hope I’ll be brave as you one day soon. You are an inspiration!
As for your bruise - a little concealer mixed with moisturiser and nobody but you will know it’s there ❤
Hi CeeCee!
How are you? I saw the post you did about finding a dentist in London. Have you had any luck or been in contact with one yet?
Your words are very kind.. I don’t feel brave, much less an inspiration, but that’s why we’re all here right? To find help, to connect with people that understand what we’re going through.

Hi boxer mom I hope I am as brave as you I have to have my teeth out in 2 stages t, the second one will be the worst as all remaining teeth will be removed ( I feel as if it is all a dream and will wake up one day and it will just be a nightmare ) , the second one will be the start of having the bottom implants started as well. You have gone through the worst now and it can only get better as you get used to them .

Not much news after second appointment. Bottom stitches will be removed next Wednesday, then the top ones a week later. Looking forward to that lol. My bruise is just amazing. Now it’s all dark purple surrounded by yellow! I forget it’s there and then I catch someone staring at it, I can’t imagine what they’re thinking. Feeling a little better each day, and a lot of the swelling in my face has gone down. Still really sore in places, but it’s manageable. Not able to eat much, and I’m always hungry, but can afford to lose a few (a lot of) pounds. I’m still mentally struggling with avoiding cold food & drink because I’ve done it for so long. I have to remind myself that it’s not going to hurt. I’m craving ice cream and I almost stopped for some today. But it just doesn’t agree with my stomach. In July I thought I was having a bad reaction to cheese from a pizza, but it turned out to be appendicitis and I don’t want to feel like that again. Dairy is just not my friend. So - soups, pasta, potatoes. Plan on making spaghetti tomorrow for dinner so we’ll see how that goes.
Had a discussion with my therapist today about my dental phobia, and how I’m dealing with it. I know that if I hadn’t had the full extraction and was trying to save some of the teeth, the fear would be all-consuming. In a way, removing the teeth had somewhat removed the phobia as well. It wasn’t conquered, or overcome. Just... displaced. It was so intertwined with pain, shame, embarrassment all to do with my teeth. So in my normal fashion, I bulldozed my way through and removed the problem - I didn’t beat my fear. But this was the best solution for me to be able to move forward. So I’ll focus on that, moving forward. I’m ok with that - one skirmish lost doesn’t mean the whole war is lost.

Update time! Third follow up appointment was yesterday and I got all the stitches removed. I was not prepared for that at all, but it’s over now and I survived. Found out that I’m allergic to zinc as well, so had to change adhesive. All in all it’s improving day by day, but I’m getting impatient lol. Eating is still a struggle, and most of the time I just give up after a while. Still learning to smile again, just doesn’t feel natural after all this time. No regrets. Definitely feeling better these last two weeks than I’ve felt in a long time.

Good to hear you are feeling better ! Hope it keeps up with healing and gets better and better.

Weekly visit over, and what a difference. So much more comfortable now after today’s adjustment. I actually ate my lunch and didn’t need to take them out and redo everything afterwards. And I didn’t feel like I had to take them out as soon as I got home. My gums are still a little sore in spots, and I still have a couple places that haven’t closed over yet. Starting to see the light at the other end of the tunnel.

Ah, I never thought I’d say this, but I’m finally getting used to these things. Looking forward to getting the permanent set, but that’s not for a while yet. A few setbacks here and there, but still no regrets. It’s so much nicer not having to think about my bad teeth when talking to someone, not having to worry about another one breaking, hurting or getting infected. I read so many posts on here about root canals, scaling, fillings.... my heart breaks for everyone that’s scared, in pain, stressed. I can feel the panic when I read a post about someone who hasn’t been to the dentist in years, or someone who feels their life is over because of their dental problems. I know how that feels. I never thought I’d be able to say “I’ve got a dentist appointment tomorrow” and not have a panic attack, but I can. That panic still lurks, and I don’t think it’ll ever truly go away, but we’re not mortal enemies anymore. I remember reading about exposure therapy and replacing traumatic experiences with positive ones until the trauma becomes less significant. I get it now. It does work.

Reading your posts always gives me courage to carry on and think to myself I can and will get through this , thank you Boxermom and everyone on here for all your encouragement could have not got this far without you all .

Bit of disappointing news yesterday. Maybe not disappointing but not good news either. I asked yesterday about the timeline for implants and the price range. The good news is that I’ll probably be ready for implants by December, the bad news is that it’s going to cost over $12,000, in addition to my remaining treatment plan balance. Ugh. Insurance won’t cover any more... care credit won’t cover it either. Quite surprised by that amount, as I had no idea they were so expensive. We will have the money available early next year, but I had other plans for it. Too many other issues going on right now to be able to save up for it. I’ve got some thinking to do.

Financial part is soo hard.. agh..:cry: :grouphug:

Sorry to read about the financial struggle. I wished dental care would be more affordable. At the same time good to read you are doing so well in terms of anxiety, that‘s really lovely news.

Sorry to hear the struggle with the finance.

Your posts have really helped me prepare though for what I have ahead.

So, nothing new to mention. Still chugging along learning to live in my new reality with my temporary dentures. Still have four months until I can get the permanent ones done. Speech is good, eating is easier and I have absolutely no pain, no sore spots or rubbing since my last re-line. It’s been 7 weeks, and all’s well. I’m noticing a pattern to my days in regard to my dentures, not sure if this is the norm. They fit the best in the morning, then by lunchtime, or right after I eat, I need to reapply the adhesive. I don’t bother reapplying in the evenings unless I go out, that way they’re easier to remove for the night. I’m able to eat croutons again! Sandwiches are still a no go, and most things I still need to cut up... not tiny like right after the extraction, just enough that I don’t have to take a bite.

So, nothing new to mention. Still chugging along learning to live in my new reality with my temporary dentures. Still have four months until I can get the permanent ones done. Speech is good, eating is easier and I have absolutely no pain, no sore spots or rubbing since my last re-line. It’s been 7 weeks, and all’s well. I’m noticing a pattern to my days in regard to my dentures, not sure if this is the norm. They fit the best in the morning, then by lunchtime, or right after I eat, I need to reapply the adhesive. I don’t bother reapplying in the evenings unless I go out, that way they’re easier to remove for the night. I’m able to eat croutons again! Sandwiches are still a no go, and most things I still need to cut up... not tiny like right after the extraction, just enough that I don’t have to take a bite.

I love your positive attitude!

Boxermom,
How long did your temporary dentures take to make? I am afraid when I get the courage to visit I will need dentures and am just curious how long it would take. Online says 1-2 months but I've seen videos on YouTube saying 1-2 weeks.

Boxermom,
How long did your temporary dentures take to make? I am afraid when I get the courage to visit I will need dentures and am just curious how long it would take. Online says 1-2 months but I've seen videos on YouTube saying 1-2 weeks.
I went for my impressions on August 26, and I had my extractions on September 12, so it was only 2 weeks for them to prep the temporary ones. I scheduled the extractions for later in the week so I could take off Thursday and Friday from work, but the temporaries were done by two weeks. It depends on the lab that the dentist uses. When you go for your first consultation, make sure to ask how long the turnaround is for the temporary dentures. They should be able to give you an estimate.

Please know I was exactly where you’re at now - I know how you feel. I never thought I’d get to where I am but I did. I’m still four or so months from getting my permanent set, but I feel so much better than I did three short months ago. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else. Best of luck.

Back