• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture distress ... help please!

M

mixi

Hi there everyone - I'm new here ... so I hope I'm posting this in the right place :confused:

Recently I have had to endure several difficult dental appointments after having my front tooth knocked out. The original plan was to be fitted with a temporary denture for my front tooth, until the gum heals (2 - 4 weeks) .. and then I would get a new front tooth splinted to the tooth next to it. I was okay with that plan - I was a little worried about having a denture in my mouth, but I thought that seeing as it was only for a few weeks, that I should be able to cope with it.

But due to unforeseen difficulties the dentist had with removing the root of my knocked out tooth, he now tells me that I have to wear this denture for at least 6 months as the gum heals, before they will construct a splinted tooth for me.

The problem is - I didnt know this denture would be so traumatising for me to wear! :shame:

I am a survivor of past childhood sexual abuse, and I am finding it exceptionally distressing to have this foreign object constantly in my mouth! I have taken to NOT wearing the denture over the past couple of days, as it seems that I have this constant anxiety while I can feel this thing in my mouth! I have had several bad flashbacks and real panic attacks where I have completely freaked and couldnt take the denture out fast enough!

And I really have tried to adjust to the denture ... I have tried to relax and breathe through the discomfort and anxiety ... I have tried taking the denture out for a while until I calm down, and then putting it back it ... I have tried to keep my mind off it by staying busy .... but each and every time, I seem to return to this incredible anxiety and distress about having this horrible thing in my mouth! :sick:

Will I ever get used to this denture ... or do I have to spend the next 6 months with a whopping big hole in the front of my mouth until I get this less intrusive splint made for my new tooth?

Does a person who has had an abusive history, EVER become comfortable with having some strange object that doesnt belong, being stuck in their mouth?

Does anybody have an ideas or suggestions for me?

I'm really struggling here. :shame:

Mixi - sorry to hear about the past abuse and all.  

I recently had 10 extractions (Dec. 22) and an immediate upper denture placed.  There is no doubt that it takes getting used to, but I have had pretty good sucess thus far.  What has helped me may or may not help you, but try to keep a positive attitude and what has helped me is to realize that I never again will have to go through painful cleanings, planing, and so forth.  Also, the body is amazing, and over time your mouth (and mine) will heal and the denture will feel natural, but it does take time.
Hopefully your gums are healing nicely.  Try to remember that like any thing new, it will take time to adjust.  And remember that there are many others out there like us - they have gone thru getting dentures and they have survived, and so will we.

Keep us posted, and have a wonderful new year.

Regards,

Mark

Hi there :welcome:,

difficult question! I don't think there's a "quickie solution". Sometimes, hypnosis can help with problems of this nature, but if you decide to go down that route, choose your hypnotherapist carefully. Make sure they are registered with a reputable body.
Sheer willpower can work for some people.
And self-talk ("I am safe now" "I can get through this" etc.) when you feel a panic attack coming on can also help.

However, the first thing I would look at is if there's any chance at all of either adjusting the denture to make it more comfortable for you to wear, or if there's any way of getting the splint (some sort of Maryland bridge, I take it?) sooner.

Is your dentist aware of the great difficulties you're having with this?

Thank you Zonker and Letsconnect for your quick replies  :)

A 'Maryland Splint' is exactly what the dentist called it!
That is what I am supposed to be getting after my gum heals - the denture is for the meantime.

The first dentist who worked on my teeth (female) was given a letter that my therapist wrote (with my permission) about my difficulties with dental procedures due to my history of trauma (the letter was very general - it didn't get into specifics of the type of 'trauma'). The main purpose of the letter was to describe how I use dissociation as a way of getting through these procedures, and it was my way of letting the dentist know what was and was not helpful for me during dental visits. The dentist seemed quite understanding about it all, but after reading the original letter and asking a couple of questions, we never talked about it anymore.

And overall, I seemed to cope with the procedures quite well with the first dentist. She explained everything to me, and so she wasn't concerned when I went off into my own little trance (dissociation thing) to cope with what was happening.

But as was explained to me later, the root of my tooth was re-absorbed to the bone, so they ended up needing to get two other dentists who worked at the same clinic (both male) to cut the gum and then drill the root out  :scared:.These dentists hadn't read the letter from my therapist, so they weren't aware of my problems with dental/mouth stuff ... and also because I didn't speak up for myself, they just went ahead and did what they needed to do. It wasn't until the follow up visit a few days later that I found out that I had to wear this denture thing for 6 months!!!

So - yes ... the original dentist (MY dentist ... and the one who is responsible for my ongoing treatment) IS aware of my problems ... but no - I haven't told her (yet) that I am having problems with this denture being in my mouth for so long. I was kinda in shock when she told me how long I had to wear it!!

Zonker - I was hoping that I would get used to it eventually. Its only been 10 days since I had this minor gum surgery to completely remove the broken tooth, so the gum is still healing ... maybe when its fully healed, the denture wont feel so bulky and strange in my mouth. I am wearing it now ... and after the first 15-20 minutes or so, I do relax enough so that I am able to kinda ignore it - its around the 2-3 hour mark I notice my rising anxiety, and notice myself unconsciously flicking and moving the denture around with my tongue and teeth, and that's when I start to get really bothered and agitated about it being in my mouth! I try to tell myself to stop playing with it, and direct my attentions elsewhere ... but it just seems that after a couple of hours, I want it OUT!!!

Letsconnect - Maybe hypnosis would be an idea ...
I'm quite gifted in being able to dissociate so that I am out of my body at will, so I would probably be a good candidate for hypnosis. But the problem with my current abilities at dissociation is that I'm not very functional in that state - I couldn't do that day to day to cope with a denture being in my mouth.
But maybe I can try something else similar to that ...

And I have considered going back in early and seeing the original dentist who was very understanding about my problems, and explaining my current difficulties with the denture and whether anything can be done. I guess I am reluctant to do this though .... I've been struggling with the effects of my past abuse for so long now, that I want to try to be able to cope with normal things that other people are able to cope with ... I'm tired of being different to other people, and being such a wimp about these things.  :cry: I'm 35 years old, but I feel like such a baby!!!

Until I got my front tooth knocked out, I never had any major problems with my teeth! I've only had one tooth filled in my whole life! You cant imagine how long it took me to feel okay with giving my dentist a letter from my therapist explaining about my difficulties with dental procedures.

I just hate having anything put me out as being different from other people.
BUT ...
this is one of the very reasons why I was so happy to find this website!!! I don't feel so alien to so called 'normal people' now ... I know that there are others like me who also have problems with dental procedures (but believe me ... that AINT my only problem!!!  :rolleyes: )

Thank you again for your advice.
It has definitely given me some ideas that I hadn't considered ... but mostly, your words have made me feel more okay with what I am struggling with right now, and that is a huge help for me!

(sorry that was so long)

mixi said:
And I have considered going back in early and seeing the original dentist who was very understanding about my problems, and explaining my current difficulties with the denture and whether anything can be done. I guess I am reluctant to do this though .... I've been struggling with the effects of my past abuse for so long now, that I want to try to be able to cope with normal things that other people are able to cope with ... I'm tired of being different to other people, and being such a wimp about these things. :cry: I'm 35 years old, but I feel like such a baby!!!

I reckon it would be a great idea to go back in early and see what can be done. Your history of abuse is neither here nor there in this context - if you have trouble adapting to the denture, you *should* make your dentist aware of this. There's absolutely nothing wimpy about that :). For all you know, you might experience the exact same problems even *without* a history of abuse, and at this stage, you can't rule out that the problem may not be alleviated by making some adjustments to the denture. It is quite common that a denture doesn't fit perfectly first time round - oftentimes, adjustments have to be made. Even *if* the fit is as perfect as it gets, at least you will be able to see if there's any way of getting the Maryland earlier than planned. And as you said, it might feel different once your gum is healed, but your dentist would be in a better position to judge that than anyone on a message board.

So - I wouldn't hesitate to make an early appointment :).

Best of luck :thumbsup:

Back