• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture Dread

RustyRebecca

RustyRebecca

I have struggled for ages with my front tooth that dentists could not decide upon. One said root canal but then admitted it would probably fail. I lost trust in him, didn't do it. I went to a new dentist that was recommended to me because she was meant to be good with anxious/fearful patients (this is about the 20th dentist I have seen now!). And she suggested that because I am worried about a denture and am so sensitive to anything in my mouth (had a denture before for my missing canines and couldn't wear it) that a 'thumb, push in denture' could work, so just the one missing tooth. Perhaps not functional like that, but could be an interim so I could get used to having a denture in my mouth. Went to get impressions and she started to have a go at me for missing a hygiene appointment (which I paid fully for, despite missing it). And that was the end of that dental relationship as I accused her of needing training with anxious patients because having a go at someone anxious before having something done makes them lose trust, increases anxiety and is just not right on so many levels.
A dentist before (who has already created a denture for me, with 5 teeth on it, I have paid for that too) told me that a one tooth denture would have covered as much as my palate as the 5 tooth one that I have paid for. And she refused to do the one tooth denture that the other dentist said could be done.
I am sick of dentists with their differing opinions and often their lack of care for anxious patients. I tried another who is anxious aware and they have a waiting list till next year (for private patients, not NHS).
So it seems I have run out of options. Is it best I get this tooth out (it isn't mobile) and get this denture in with the dentist who has had a denture created? I am so worried it will cover much of my palate and I will struggle with it. Or find another dentist who may (or may not) agree to do the one tooth denture? I can't live my life without my front tooth. Attached pic of denture (before before teeth attached) Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-20220614-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220614-WA0002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
A single tooth denture won't cover any less of your palate than one with the other missing teeth on it.
Do you have the other denture and does it actually fit you? (Not sure if the front tooth is on that or not, doesn't look like it is on that wax up). If it does, why don't you just practice with that for a bit?

Put it in, set yourself a target of say 20 secs and then take it out. Gradually work on this till you're comfortable wearing it for a bit longer and then re-evaluate. If it's too tight to put in and out quickly and easily, then ask a dentist to loosen it off a bit. Basically use it as a training device.

If I recall right, your front tooth isn't actually hurting just now? So you've got time to work on this.

A single tooth denture won't cover any less of your palate than one with the other missing teeth on it.
Do you have the other denture and does it actually fit you? (Not sure if the front tooth is on that or not, doesn't look like it is on that wax up). If it does, why don't you just practice with that for a bit?

Put it in, set yourself a target of say 20 secs and then take it out. Gradually work on this till you're comfortable wearing it for a bit longer and then re-evaluate. If it's too tight to put in and out quickly and easily, then ask a dentist to loosen it off a bit. Basically use it as a training device.

If I recall right, your front tooth isn't actually hurting just now? So you've got time to work on this.
Hi Gordon. Thank you for answering.
No, the single tooth denture was never made.
And that picture is only when it was in the creating stage of that denture. The actual denture has been properly made up with all 5 teeth on it, ready to put in when the front tooth is removed. So l can't practice. Once the tooth is out, its out. That's why lm in this situation.

Unfortunately you're stuck with a choice of bad solutions :(

You could ask to have the front tooth cut off that denture and use that to practice with, if you manage it then get the tooth added back on. It's easy enough to do with that type of denture. I used to do it in peoples' houses back in the day.

If you can't manage to wear it then you need to figure out a way to get the root canal done (assuming the tooth is still saveable).

Back