• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture question

A

avalon

I’ve had a lot of dental work done all my life including a few implants. And to make a long story short as a child my dental needs were non existent and of course because of that my mouth is not in the best shape. I have recession around my implants so I’m not sure what long term will look like for them, If they fail I will need dentures. My question and concern is I have a overjet and with that being said will I be able to be fitted with dentures? Has anyone here had a similar situation? And how did you do?

Hi avalon, I can't comment on overjet and dentures, but I was wondering whether you are seeing a dentist currently? If you have implants, it seems to me that the best thing would be to go and try to take care of the recession and the current state so that they can serve you for a long time. Would that be an option?

Hi,

do you mean full dentures? And over jet does not a problem and actually you can correct the over jet to a certain degree.
Please don’t rush to full dentures without a good reason. It might sound like the end of all dental problems but that is not the case in reality.

Hi,

do you mean full dentures? And over jet does not a problem and actually you can correct the over jet to a certain degree.
Please don’t rush to full dentures without a good reason. It might sound like the end of all dental problems but that is not the case in reality.

Thank you for your response. Yes I was considering full denture, but I’m trying to exhaust all possibilities first, just somedays feel like a losing battle. I’m moving to another state and dread the thought of finding a new dentist and periodontitis, I’m always embarrassed about the state of my mouth.
Thanks again

Hi avalon, I can't comment on overjet and dentures, but I was wondering whether you are seeing a dentist currently? If you have implants, it seems to me that the best thing would be to go and try to take care of the recession and the current state so that they can serve you for a long time. Would that be an option?

Thanks for responding. I do currently have a dentist and periodontitis that I see dentist every 6 months and periodontitis once a year. I have ask and seems not much can be done about the recession around the implants, from what I understand gum can’t be grafted vertically ( hope I’m explaining that correctly) so they have not yet talked about any other treatment at this point. I just know that if gums are receding bone is also. I’m moving to another state and I’m concerned about finding new dentist and periodontitis. I’m always embrassed about state of my mouth I dread getting use to new providers, I have no cavities but believe me there is nothing pretty in there! I won’t give up easy but I feel like dentures are in my future and I’m just trying to collect information.
Thanks again

I just know that if gums are receding bone is also.
Well, even if there is recession, it does not necessarily means that a periodontist is required. I don’t know your situation but I can assure you, this is not a block or white situation. If you don’t have an active periodontal disease, and you keep your implants (and teeth) clean , a periodontal treatment is not needed.
it really depends.

Thanks for responding. I do currently have a dentist and periodontitis that I see dentist every 6 months and periodontitis once a year. I have ask and seems not much can be done about the recession around the implants, from what I understand gum can’t be grafted vertically ( hope I’m explaining that correctly) so they have not yet talked about any other treatment at this point. I just know that if gums are receding bone is also. I’m moving to another state and I’m concerned about finding new dentist and periodontitis. I’m always embrassed about state of my mouth I dread getting use to new providers, I have no cavities but believe me there is nothing pretty in there! I won’t give up easy but I feel like dentures are in my future and I’m just trying to collect information.
Thanks again

Thank you for explaining this. Worrying makes us nervous about the future and it makes sense that you want to have a plan B in place in case the worst case scenario comes true. The good thing is that the most people who struggle with dental fear believe they will lose their teeth or need an awful amount of treatment, but it very rarely happens. Our minds just love to scare us. I believe that seeing a dentist regularly and doing the best you can at home are the things that have the power to prevent you from losing your implants and it sounds like you are doing a great job. I saw a post of your from 2007 where you mention a periodontal disease and your fears about it. So far it looks like your implants did a great job staying in for 14 years! :claps: (provided you had them back then already?) Fingers crossed for you to find a good provider after your move (moving to another state sounds pretty stressful btw., particularly during this time).
Sorry to read about your embarrassment about the state of your teeth. I was wondering whether you have read our article here? It may give you some reassurance when it comes to being embarrassed about the state of your teeth. I am also sure that @Dr. Daniel has something to share about this topic :)

Thank you for explaining this. Worrying makes us nervous about the future and it makes sense that you want to have a plan B in place in case the worst case scenario comes true. The good thing is that the most people who struggle with dental fear believe they will lose their teeth or need an awful amount of treatment, but it very rarely happens. Our minds just love to scare us. I believe that seeing a dentist regularly and doing the best you can at home are the things that have the power to prevent you from losing your implants and it sounds like you are doing a great job. I saw a post of your from 2007 where you mention a periodontal disease and your fears about it. So far it looks like your implants did a great job staying in for 14 years! :claps: (provided you had them back then already?) Fingers crossed for you to find a good provider after your move (moving to another state sounds pretty stressful btw., particularly during this time).
Sorry to read about your embarrassment about the state of your teeth. I was wondering whether you have read our article here? It may give you some reassurance when it comes to being embarrassed about the state of your teeth. I am also sure that @Dr. Daniel has something to share about this topic :)
Indeed I made two films about worrying thinking and feeling embarrassed in a dental set-up.

Fear of embarrassment during a dental visit
Dental worrying

One more thing: after placing an implant there is always, per definition, a bit of bone resorption and gum recession. If the implants were recently placed, I would not jump into conclusions about the severity of the situation.

Indeed I made two films about worrying thinking and feeling embarrassed in a dental set-up.

Fear of embarrassment during a dental visit
Dental worrying

One more thing: after placing an implant there is always, per definition, a bit of bone resorption and gum recession. If the implants were recently placed, I would not jump into conclusions about the severity of the situation.

Thank you for the videos! Very helpful

Back