• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Denture wearers: How much time off work?

F

franky74

Hi Folks,

I love reading the success stories about dentures, they give me hope that I will make it through this ordeal.

I am having all of my top teeth extracted and an immediate denture placed on January 13. I am wondering how long I should plan to be off work?

I have great faith in my dentist. I am extremely hopeful that I will have an ok fit on these, I have a friend whose Mother uses the same dentist for her dentures and she says he does a wonderful job and her teeth look great. I do realize, however, that immediates have their own issues.

I am really scared that it will be PAINFULLY obvious that I have a denture when I go back to work. I want people to notice that I have gotten my teeth fixed, but I don't necessarily want them to know that it's a denture. For now, I just hide my smile, so most of them have no idea how bad my teeth actually are.

All so nerve-wracking......I pray I can make it through the next month!:cry:

Hi there,
I do not have full dentures but I did have 6 bottom front teeth extracted and an immediate partial placed. I had the extractions and immediate placed on Friday and went to work Monday...then again that was just a partial. I know if you read other members journals you might get a better idea.
Best of luck to you!!

Thanks, I've looked around at length and haven't really seen this issue. Many awesome journals, but perhaps I just don't follow the timeline? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I am planning on having this done on Wednesday, being off the rest of the week, then going back the following Monday. I can take more time if I have to, my doctor has told he'll excuse me for as long as I need. But I hate to use all of my sick time, and I am thinking 5 days may be good. My biggest issue is I have to talk alot at my work. I am scared, I will be practicing as much as possible before then!

Thanks, I've looked around at length and haven't really seen this issue. Many awesome journals, but perhaps I just don't follow the timeline? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I am planning on having this done on Wednesday, being off the rest of the week, then going back the following Monday. I can take more time if I have to, my doctor has told he'll excuse me for as long as I need. But I hate to use all of my sick time, and I am thinking 5 days may be good. My biggest issue is I have to talk alot at my work. I am scared, I will be practicing as much as possible before then!

That sounds about right. I had all my uppers out in two sessions - the last ones - four upper incisors - came out on a Friday (the 13th!) and I had the immediate denture put in. The following Monday I was in work again, showing off my nice new smile. Thankfully I don't have to talk at all in work (well, maybe a little! ;D) but I was practising all weekend ("Supercalifragilistic expialidocious" is a good one to try out! ;D).

I'm sure it'll all be fine. ;D

Hi Folks,

I love reading the success stories about dentures, they give me hope that I will make it through this ordeal.

I am having all of my top teeth extracted and an immediate denture placed on January 13. I am wondering how long I should plan to be off work?

I have great faith in my dentist. I am extremely hopeful that I will have an ok fit on these, I have a friend whose Mother uses the same dentist for her dentures and she says he does a wonderful job and her teeth look great. I do realize, however, that immediates have their own issues.

I am really scared that it will be PAINFULLY obvious that I have a denture when I go back to work. I want people to notice that I have gotten my teeth fixed, but I don't necessarily want them to know that it's a denture. For now, I just hide my smile, so most of them have no idea how bad my teeth actually are.

All so nerve-wracking......I pray I can make it through the next month!:cry:

Franky hi
first of all very best of luck to you on your e-day and its great that you trust your dentist.

Regarding time off work, i think AT LEAST 4-5 DAYS-not thru pain, but i think to regain a little confidence:thumbsup:

you may well find that you have a little difficulty with some words thats all.

after you've had it done and the denture is in, just recite counting from 54 to 76. Talk to the dog, the sofa, the walls, just to regain your natural speech pattern.
I still have to take a deep breath before i say some words.
just tell people you've had crowns fixed or something, they will never notice a denture unless you tell them.
It is 8 months since i had the same procedure as you, and it was only yesterday that i put some lippy on-i just didn't want to draw attention to my mouth. and after i did i thought, coo-eee 'you look ok!!!!'
all the best
Ronny.

had mine pulled on a thursday morning, i was off that friday and following week. that was plenty of time to heal for me. wish you the best franky74..

Thank you all for your replies and kind words!

I am scheduled to have this done on a Wednesday. I had planned to take the rest of the week off, and weekend, and head back to work on Monday. Now I am kind of rethinking that, wondering if maybe I should take at least 1 full week off.

The problem with that is my employer requires any sick leave beyond a week to be FMLA, which means my doctor and/or dentist will have to fill out a really long, federal FMLA form. I think I might do it though, because there is no promise that I will be ready to go back in 5 days!

Hi Frankie

I am new to this forum and just finding my way around and reading through some of the posts. I have something in common with you! I am also booked in for my procedure on the 13th of January! I am having 5 front teeth at the top removed and an immediate denture the same day and also having3 wisdom and one molar and a filling done all at the same time. Im having IV sedation for this as I am absolutely terrified. Ive not had the sedation before so I just hope it works good. I have planned to go back to work on the Monday 18th but I guess I will see how I feel. I hope I will be ok to go back then. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with everything and to tell you I will be thinking about you on the day and I know this will help me go through with my procedure. Take care and kind regards x

Wow, I will be thinking of you as well! Kind of nice to know that I'm not alone in this, even if you are on another part of the planet:)

I planned to go back on January 18 too. I think I am gonna squeeze in an extra day, go back on Tuesday Jan 19 instead. I can do this without the FMLA paperwork required by my employer, and the surgeon has already told me that he'll keep me out for as long as I want.

I talked to my dentist about it today and expressed to him, the pain and swelling are not my concern. I am concerned with being able to function...speaking, eating, etc. Particularly speaking, since I talk all day long at my job.

We'll be ok, I just know it. The dentist feels certain that it won't be nearly as bad as I am anticipating. So far he has not led me astray.

I know what you mean as my job involves a lot of travelling and teaching students all over the UK. The last thing I need is for them to be unable to understand me as they are all overseas students to start with or worse my immediates coming shooting out when talking to them and I frighten the life out of them! :)

Anyway its good to have someone to count down with! And you're right, it certainly does help to know I am not alone in this! Just think in a few weeks time we can celebrate having had it all done and then post on the success part of the forum eh? :jump:

Back