• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures and gagging

G

Former Member
I have advanced periodental disease and my dentist thinks I should have my teeth (which are very loose in places) out and have dentures. My problem is I have a strong gag reflex and I am scared I won't be able to have the stuff in my mouth to take impressions or be able to actually wear the dentures without gagging. I gag if I touch the inside of my mouth by accident when cleaning my teeth. I am so scared, what can I do? Mo

Hi Mo [image] ,

with regards to taking impressions, we've collected a number of tips which might help on this page:

Dentures may present a bigger problem, although many people do very well with them... When you said that your teeth are very loose IN PLACES, is there a chance that you could save some of them? If not, have you discussed with your dentist if implant-retained dentures might be an option? Does your dentist know about your concerns about gagging?

Obviously, if the situation is not entirely clear-cut or even just for your peace of mind, it can also be a good idea to get a second opinion before jumping into anything.

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping me and fellow dental phobics. I am so pleased to have found this site and to see that I am not the only one to be so scared of the dentist. I think my fear is more of gagging and vomiting than general dentistry. I am O.K. with injections and pain! I am trying to figure the best route to go considering I am diabetic and am loosing more and more bone. At the moment I only have 3 teeth that are so wobbly they are about to fall out. Should I go for a partial, full dentures, a bridge or implants :confused:? Best wishes, Mo.

It's really something you would need to discuss with a dentist in person. It might be an idea to see someone who specializes in relevant fields (periodontics, prosthodontics, and implants), if you're unsure about your current dentist's advice. Obviously, they might still come to the same conclusion and recommend full dentures, but if you're in any way unsure, you might want to get a second opinion. They would need to see examine you in person, see your x-rays, know your medical history etc. to see what the various options might be in your particular case. Only with that information can anyone tell you about the pros and cons of various options, and give advice as to what the best plan of action for you might be.

With full dentures, the gag reflex can be triggered by a denture that extends too far into the palate. Trimming the denture can often help. If this doesn't work, then hypnosis or sheer wanting will might. But trying to save some teeth for an overdenture, if at all possible, is generally the best idea if you have a bad gag reflex.

Back