• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures at 39

chaoticharmony

chaoticharmony

Hi everyone! :waves:

I posted this first part in the support section, sorry for starting off with repetition!

I’m 39 and I hadn’t been to the dentist in almost 15 years before Monday. My mother wasn’t the greatest at taking me to the dentist when I was a kid (only took me once because I broke a tooth), so I really didn’t learn good dental habits in my youth. When I was old enough to have my own insurance I never went for cleanings, only for painful emergencies. On the last emergency visit I had a terrible experience. It was at a health department, the dentist was in training and he broke off two teeth he was trying to pull. He hadn’t given me enough numbing medication, he wouldn’t listen that I was really hurting, and he just didn’t care. My teeth are awful because of genetics and being a type 1 diabetic but he blamed me completely for my teeth breaking off and he was just mean. Since it was a health department, they only did simple extractions and since my teeth broke it was now complicated and they couldn’t help me. I was devastated.

Over the next 15 years my teeth went from bad to worse. They were chipping, breaking, decaying no matter how much I brushed, flossed and rinsed. They always hurt but I just could not bring myself to go back to any dentist.

Last week I had three teeth break in two days. I knew I couldn’t put it off anymore because it’s too painful (and looks even worse) so my husband made an appointment for me with his dental office. We told them on the phone just how bad everything was and how scared I was and they told me not to worry, that they would take care of me.

Monday came, I was panicking ...vomiting....the works. I almost canceled 3x. When I actually got to the office my anxiety was completely out of control and I started pacing in the waiting area. They were running late which made it even worse.

I finally got called back and the assistant took me straight to the big x-ray machine. She knew how scared I was and she was awesome at being reassuring. The dentist was just as awesome. He told me off the bat that this wasn’t my fault, that he was going to do everything he could for me. However! He confirmed my worst fear...that my teeth couldn’t be saved. All the top ones are broken, rotted, etc. He can save 6 bottom but the rest of those have to go - along with the roots of the ones the other dentist broke. He knew I was in tremendous pain so he got me into the oral surgeon the very next day and the oral surgeon was able to schedule me quickly, too.

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday at 8:30am under general anesthesia. I’m having 20 teeth extracted and I’m freaking out!
:scared:

So it’s Monday evening and my teeth are hurting SO BAD that even air hitting them is excruciating. The pain medication I take for my back and knee (strong, strong stuff) is not even helping. Ugh.

My dentist’s office let me know that my temp will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow afternoon. I’m nervous and excited at the same time. Hopefully I’ll be able to use these until insurance starts over again in January. 8 months with a temp...is it realistically doable? :confused:

My pain management doctor wrote my post-op prescriptions and I’m getting ready to go pick them up. Not only did she write for pills but she also gave me Lidocaine Viscous which I think will help tremendously. I was so happy when they told me about that...I cannot wait to get it filled and use it ASAP. Anything that makes my mouth numb gets two thumbs up in my book.

I’m now just waiting for my dentist to call and let me know that I can pick up my temps. I think once I see them this will become very, very real. :o

Oh...I’m freaking out about something else too....:(

I mentioned in my first post that I’m a type 1 diabetic. I’ve been worrying a ton about my healing time because of this. It takes me twice as long to recover from a simple paper cut as a person without type 1...how awful and long will my recovery/healing be from major oral surgery?? :hmm:

I’m not sure how to get support/encouragement on here. Maybe I was reading all old experiences and there isn’t a lot of activity anymore? I’ve commented and given support to people who seem to thank/acknowledge everyone but me. Are my posts even published/seen? Oh well. :cry:

chaoticharmony, sorry that you got no replies, but your posts got seen and read. And you have been very encouraging to others these days, which is very noble, considering your own situation right now.

First of all, very very well done for having gone finally and I know it wasn't easy. Your experience with that student sounds just horrible. Also glad to hear that you have a good practice and that they knew how to work with you and put you at ease.

Sorry to hear how much pain you are in right now, it sounds unbearable. I cannot even imagine how bad it must be when even air hurts.. :(

I am sure you will be very relieved when it's all over and the worst part really is the waiting for the procedure. You will fall asleep and when you wake up (which will feel like seconds) it will be over. You have read around a bit for sure and people who had GA were very happy with it. Hope the staff will be very kind to you and will put you at ease and also that you recover quickly and painlessly. It might be a good idea to ask your doctor about the recovery time and if something can be done about it.

Hope your husband is taking a very good care of you right now and hopefully you have a good plan of how to treat yourself once the procedure is over, because you are being very brave and courageous. :XXLhug:

All the best wishes for today, may you be surprised how smoothly and easily went. :clover:

Hi Chaotic Harmony,

I see you too and hope all goes well for you! I hope your healing goes well and that the transition to the dentures goes well and temp is fitted well! You are amazingly brave for putting yourself out there and doing this.. ! Please let us know how it goes!!

Hi+wecome :) I'm a similar age to you but am supposed to be getting implants so not sure I can answer any of your questions,feel free to messege me tho.

Back