• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures Hole Puncher?

L

lightblue7

Hi!

So I came here a while back because I was having extractions and snap in dentures put in. It's been a long long journey and I am at the final leg of it. I am getting my bottoms done on Thursday. All he needs to do is put the 2 posts in. I for one like to know everything beforehand.

When talking to him about what the procedure was going to be like his reply: a cake walk compared to what you went through. He talked about using a dental hole puncher. Uh. What? That scares the hell out of me. I have had night sweats thinking about this.

According to him, "if I told another dentist I was using this device, they would think WOW that's inventive and intuitive."

My question to you: Is that BS and he's just trying to keep me from panicking? And uh.. is it like a literal hole puncher? If it's going to freak me out don't show me images lol

Sorry, never heard of such a thing, at least not from that description :)

Is he talking about a tissue punch for the implants? Perhaps @drhirst or @comfortdentist may be able to chip in if they're around (someone told me about the @ alert function of our new Xenforo the other day, so I HAD to try it out :cool:)

Hi!

Yes, he has to get through the gum tissue and the bone. According to him, this "tool" punches through both.

He said that the tops were easy to do because the posts were put in when I had my teeth extracted. But since the gums are all healed and everything now, he needs an easy way to get in there.

Sweet, I hope someone replies lol. Thankfully I got Valium the day of, so that should calm my nerves a little and I am getting the laughing gas again (thank god).

Great question for me! I used it yesterday for an implant in the top front tooth. It is a simple little device that has been around for many years. Think of it like a 4mm hole saw. The cutting edge is smooth like a scalpel but cuts a perfectly round hole. They were used way before implant dentistry to perform a tissue punch biopsy.
When do you use it? When you have plenty of firm attached tissue then you numb the gum and it easily and quickly cuts access to the top of the bone. When you get to the bone you then use a drill to make a hole around 10mm deep. The hole may be enlarged wider to get it ideal for the implant. Many times after someone has healed the band of firm gum isn't wide enough as implants need 2x as much firm gum as natural teeth. When I am faced with this I just make an incision and push the gum slightly out of my way.

Great question for me! I used it yesterday for an implant in the top front tooth. It is a simple little device that has been around for many years. Think of it like a 4mm hole saw. The cutting edge is smooth like a scalpel but cuts a perfectly round hole. They were used way before implant dentistry to perform a tissue punch biopsy.
When do you use it? When you have plenty of firm attached tissue then you numb the gum and it easily and quickly cuts access to the top of the bone. When you get to the bone you then use a drill to make a hole around 10mm deep. The hole may be enlarged wider to get it ideal for the implant. Many times after someone has healed the band of firm gum isn't wide enough as implants need 2x as much firm gum as natural teeth. When I am faced with this I just make an incision and push the gum slightly out of my way.

Thank god, someone explained it to me in a clear way lol. "Comfort Dentist" My Dentist has that all over his commercials and ads - pain free dental. Well, I did experience pain before there but your explanation seemed pretty concise and simple.

Can I ask you a question while you're here?! For the tops I had the same dental office, but a different dentist - we agreed on 4 posts being good for the top and the bottom. That dentist left as soon as those were put in (He quit) and the new Dentist (the guy that owns the office) said we are only doing 2 on the bottom.

Is 2 adequate for the bottom? Put aside all your usual dental knowledge about gums and bone available. Is 2 enough to be comfortable and to allow me to chew properly? Because right now with 4 on the top, I can eat anything. Anything lol. I'm just worried 2 on the bottom is not going to be supportive enough.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks

The famous ( at least to dentists) Carl Misch said that just 2 implants in the lower jaw provides the greatest benefit from implants. Two implants are generally placed 1-2 cm apart in the front. Some type of attachment is used to hold the denture in place. I like the original locator system.
I saw a patient last week. A nice Scottish guy who was terrified of the dentist. I first saw him 12-14 years ago. He had been without teeth for years and had such a loose denture that he had a hard time playing the saxophone. I guess he was about 65 then. I recommended 2 implants and then 2 locators attachments with the surgery being performed under IV sedation. He wanted new dentures. I told him no that he wouldn't be happy and he would just waste his money. He left....a few years later he returns with the same complaint PLUS a bag with a couple of sets of dentures. I told him the exactly same thing. He said okay. It went well and he has had the implants and locators in place for 10 years and is very happy. The retentive elements have been changed twice in my office (out of the mouth).
In summary 2 well placed implants with a good retention system like locators works well. You could always add more later. Personally I don't like ball tops with "o" rings which are often used as they are cheaper.

2 lower implants are so helpful that I won't do a lower denture without them.

@Enarete - it sure does work :). What a handy little feature! There's no email alert option for mentions though, so the person will have to log in in order to see the alert.