• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dentures/implant-retained dentures

G

Former Member
These are the upper and lower dentures and I have had them for about six weeks. I have a problem eating and speaking with them as the upper is still somewhat loose (and too long ,but letsconnect explained this to me) and I know its difficult to adjust to the lowers. I use two types of adhesive on the lowers and keep on trying to eat and talk with them. I guess I'll just have to adjust to the uppers being so long and I am not used to seeing my bottom teeth and it doesn't help that I am a mouth breather.I feel the lower denture looks too perfect , but the dentist said they can't be seen, (I disagree) and won't they be more visible with the implants? My first visit I was asked if I was interested in implants for a secured lower denture and I said yes, I was. I have heard of people having such a difficult time adjusting to the bottom denture, that I thought that this is great. I have no idea in what manner the laser is to be used. My dentist just learned how to use the laser on her vacation :confused: and I feel that's why I was given such a discount on the implants, because I am her first
patient? Thank you, Gollilue

G

Former Member
Okay, you have no teeth at all, and have full upper and lower dentures. Okay...
If an upper denture is well made, most people don't have much problem getting used to wearing and using it. It takes time, but if you're patient, you'll probably be comfortable.

But, a lower denture can be just the opposite. Even a well-fit lower denture can cause problems. Many people have difficulty wearing and using a lower denture.

I'm assuming that the mini-implants were recommended to help stabilize the lower denture. If that's the case, the deciding factor as to how many implants can be placed depends upon the amount of bone you have in your lower jaw. It would be ideal to have 4 or even 6 implants (2 or 3 on each side) to help stabilize the denture, but you may only have enough bone for 2 as recommended. The key is the amount of bone available for the implant.

There are many different implant sizes and shapes that can be used. Placing mini-implants (or any implant) and using them to stabilize a lower denture can be relatively complex. It might be a good idea for you to seek out one or more additional opinions so that you have a good understanding of the benefits and limits of using this approach.

Glenn

G

Former Member
Thank you Glenn for your very good advice. Unfortunately, I have already paid for the implants and so I don't think I have any other options open to me except to try them and see how it works.I leapt before I looked! :rolleyes:I wish I could remember if the sample?of the secured denture she had me examine had more than 2 implants. I felt better when you said the amount of bone loss was probably the deciding factor of only implanting 2, if I quoted you correctly. I realize I should have questioned her about this and I should take your advice and seek other opinions, but I haven't. This is being done tomorrow and I am excited and nervous. I will post back soon and if it doesn't secure the denture well enough, I have no one to blame but myself. (But this takes 3 months, she said, so I won't know for awhile. Wish me luck! Thank you, Gollilue

G

Former Member
Still don't understand exactly what's going on, but BEST OF LUCK for tomorrow, anyway :thumbsup: !

G

Former Member
Thank you, letsconnect for the good luck wish. :D My dentist ended up being surprised that I had such a tough bone. What was supposed to only take a minimal amount of time ended up being close to three hours, which caused me to have to be numbed again. My bones are dense, which is good. The one thing I kept thinking of, especially when she had to chisel the bone, call for the tissue forceps and doing the sutures was, I want to enjoy eating cucumbers and steak, again! :rolleyes: When I got into the room, I asked the dentist if the reason I was only getting two implants was because of my bone loss and she said she could do four. Two regular(don't know exact name)and two minis. I ended up with three
minis, with the fourth to be done in three months because it wouldn't close properly. I go back in four weeks. I feel pretty embarrassed asking this question and I will call my dentist on Monday for sure :innocent: to ask her, too, but, her assistant told me all about the liquid diet, which I had prepared for at home, instant breakfast, ice cream, etc. I certainly do not plan on chewing anything anytime, soon :drool: , but am I supposed to be on all liquids until my next appointment? The office is closed today.
I only weigh 107, now! I plan on getting some Ensure this week-end and I need to know what will help me keep the weight on. I know not to use a straw or gargle or spit. I was pretty stressed and worn out when my appointment was over, but that's not an excuse, is it, for not knowing the answer to my questions ahead of
time? I had very little pain yesterday evening and my biggest problem was not talking because that would increase the bleeding and just a little swelling. My dentist likes to sing, not a bad voice either,and it was calming to me, I just wish it had been a Hall and Oates medley, but that's alright. :party: Thank you, Gollilue

G

Former Member
Hi there - thanks for letting us know how you got on and WELL DONE [image] !!

With regards to the liquid diet, you'd really have to ask your dentist about it (I would want to speak with her personally, rather than with a receptionist or assistant) - she would know best when you can switch to soft foods.

Some healthy liquid foods for the weekend include:

* soups
* yoghurt drinks or smoothies
* fruit milkshakes

I highly doubt that you're supposed to stay on a liquid diet for a month, though you may need to stay on soft foods, I don't know. If you're planning to take a supplement to prevent weight loss, it might be an idea to have a chat with a pharmacist about it, they are often able to give some good advice. For soft food suggestions, have a look at this page:

Out of curiosity - what was the story with the laser??

G

Former Member
Thank you so much for the ideas on liquids and soft foods. :D I was just thinking before I read your reply that I wish I had been given a sheet explaining all of this in detail.(But I could have asked.) :rolleyes: I was given some gauze in an envelope with some info on the back for extractions that applied to me, though, and the assistant explained that to me.
My dentist did use the laser, (good grief, I forgot to mention it!) but it didn't seem like for a very long time to me. I feel while using it is when she discovered the problem with my tough bone.
Maybe the laser isn't that long a procedure? I sure know the bone chiseling was! My bleeding had stopped until I was getting dressed this morning to get my mail and I know I have to be careful and not do any bending, if I can. I was wondering if it would be better to stay closer to home for the next week and also to avoid any unnecessary stress if possible? Another one of my stupid questions. :shame: Thank you, Gollilue

G

Former Member
Maybe the laser isn't that long a procedure?

Quite possibly, there are so many uses for these things, going by the laser manufacturers' websites that it's hard for the layperson to figure out :).

I was wondering if it would be better to stay closer to home for the next week and also to avoid any unnecessary stress if possible?

It might be a good idea not to engage in any strenous activity or exercise over the next few days, and to be careful not to bend over or do heavy lifting for 3-4 days after surgery. I suppose it depends on how well it's healing and what you feel up to - if you feel that some rest would do you good, listen to your body. But again, you can ask your dentist on Monday what she suggests, and when you can resume your normal activities. In other words, I don't really know, lol ;)!!

Hope it's healing well :D!!

G

Former Member
:p Thank you, letsconnect. I feel I am healing well. I called my dentist on Monday to ask her when I could start on soft foods and she said I could eat anything but crunchy foods and to brush the implants to keep them clear of any trapped food. I have good spaces between these implants, so I am not too worried about that, but the first time I brushed, very gently with a soft brush, the gums bled a little. Just one area seems to be the tenderest and there is a little white, pus? area around all of them? I am taking all of the meds and I asked her if there is a rinse I could use and she suggested one ,which I found out when I called the pharmacy needs a prescription. So, I asked them if there is something comparable to it and they recommended one, which I am trying today. I have a question for Glenn that I don't even want to ask. :( One of my implants is higher than the other two. When I saw it, I remembered the dentist had said something about it to her assistant, but I don't recall what it was. How is she going to rectify this? I am concerned. Here I am in the healing process and I don't understand the game plan for this. As though I know the game plan for any of this, right? :rolleyes: If my bone is healing around this implant, what can she do? She certainly can't snip it off, can she? :confused: If you had a patient with tough bone, how would you proceed on this and the other implant that wouldn't close, so it has to be redone? What can she do to make sure it closes? She had other patients to see, so I understand that she couldn't take anymore time with these on my last unforeseen long appointment. Thanks, Gollilue

G

Former Member
Hi Gollilue, good to hear you're healing well :D.

I am taking all of the meds and I asked her if there is a rinse I could use and she suggested one ,which I found out when I called the pharmacy needs a prescription. So, I asked them if there is something comparable to it and they recommended one, which I am trying today.

She may have suggested chlorhexidine gluconate (comes as Peridex and some other brandname in the US), which is prescription-only in the US and OTC in the UK. SHE SHOULD KNOW THIS IS PRESCRIPTION-ONLY - IT'S ONE OF THE MOST COMMONLY USED MOUTHWASHES!!! I can't believe she wasn't aware of this :confused: (if it was indeed something like Peridex). Give your dental office another call and ask for a prescription. What rinse did they suggest in the pharmacy?

One of my implants is higher than the other two. When I saw it, I remembered the dentist had said something about it to her assistant, but I don't recall what it was. How is she going to rectify this? I am concerned.

Again - DON'T FEEL SHY TO ASK YOUR TREATING DENTIST! That's what you're paying her for - not only the actual treatment, but also discussions and explanations surrounding this treatment. Put your foot down! There's no need to feel shy :).

She had other patients to see, so I understand that she couldn't take anymore time with these on my last unforeseen long appointment.

Yes, but you need a consultation appointment. This is part of the whole treatment package. If you didn't get a chance to discuss the game plan because you were running late during the treatment appointment, she should be more than happy for you to come in and discuss how it went, and address your concerns. That way, she can also have a look at the slightly dodgy area.

You've already paid her for this service - you are entitled to have your questions answered and get appropriate follow-up care!

BEST OF LUCK :thumbsup: !!!

G

Former Member
Kudos to 'letsconnect'...I read this entire thread again and 'lets' is giving you some really good advice, really good!

As far as your implants being different heights, that may or may not be a bit of a problem, it all depends upon the type of attachment that your Doc is going to use to connect the denture and the implant itself. These attachments come in a myriad of different styes, shapes and sizes. Because I don't know what your Doc is planning, it's difficult to answer your question correctly.

My best guess is that you paid a good amount for this treatment. 'Lets' is absolutely right when advising that you need some consultation time. Call, make an appointment, ask for "consultation time" and bring all your questions with you. That's a much better approach.

Let us know how your questions were answered.

Glenn

G

Former Member
Thank you, letsconnect. The name of the rinse is Peridex. I was very surprised when I found out it required a prescription. I have medicaid, maybe the dentist knew that it wouldn't be covered? :confused: I am using Glyoxide. A consultation appointment sounds great, but I've gotten better answers on here then I have from her. I couldn't get an answer from her about why the teeth were so long! I sure hope that she has consulted with one of her colleagues to find out how she should proceed with the rest of the implants. I threw her for a loop with having such tough bone and I am wondering if she knows how to proceed. She tells me one thing and then does another :(such as, telling me she would do two regular implants and two minis. When I asked her about it, she said no, she would be doing four mini implants! She mentioned to her assistant how much higher the one implant was compared to the other two. This assistant was one I have never seen before.
Are they trained in how to use the vitals machine? Just curious, because she was having a problem with it and I made a suggestion that worked! She mentioned she would have to ask the doctor about why--Good luck! :innocent:

it wasn't accurately reading my blood pressure levels. My next appointment is at the end of the month and I am taking a list of questions that I hope will be answered. What I thought was pus around the implants is moving. Is that tissue? Thank you for all of your help.
:D Gollilue

G

Former Member
Thank you, Glenn. I plan on asking the dentist some more questions during my appointment in a few weeks and I will call on Monday to mention I have some questions that I need answered and for them to allow me extra time, if needed. I don't feel she knows anymore than I do about why the one implant is higher than the other two. It didn't seemed to be planned in my estimation. I am spending a considerable amount to have this work done and you would think I would show more sense about it, wouldn't you? :rolleyes: I have always allowed myself the stupidity of trusting a professional without fulling checking things out and then proceeding, so the hindsight from this shouldn't surprise me in the least! :redface: At this late date, I don't feel I have changed a bit. I am totally disgusted with myself. What would you suggest for an implant that wasn't closing properly? She had to remove it and said in three months time, she would redo it. Why would that make a difference? I need to vent about something else that is really bugging me. I don't drive, so I have to set up timed rides with an elderly/handicapped service in my town. I was told to allow two hours for my last appointment, which I did. I arrived early and the only other patient left about ten minutes before my appointment time. A half hour later I mentioned to the receptionist that my ride would be back to get me in a hour and fifteen minutes. When I am finally in the chair, I mentioned this , too, and she said it wouldn't take very long and you'll be able to catch your ride on time. NOT! It just seems to me that being brand new at something,(lasers), she would have foreseen that anything could come up and be prepared for it. Didn't the instructors of the laser mention the possibility of running into tough bone? If not, I feel they need to rethink their teachings. :( You and letsconnect are saving my sanity. Thanks for being here. :p Thank you, Gollilue

G

Former Member
I can see how your difficulty in actually getting to your dentist's office would make things more complicated :( - a bit of a bummer, really. I read somewhere else that a higher implant needn't necessarily be a problem (although they tend to be harder to keep clean), but it wasn't mentioned to which type of implants the reference was. Idle speculation, but the implant may be higher because the bone was so dense that she couldn't get it in any further.

I have always allowed myself the stupidity of trusting a professional without fulling checking things out and then proceeding, so the hindsight from this shouldn't surprise me in the least! [image] At this late date, I don't feel I have changed a bit. I am totally disgusted with myself.

The vast majority of people would expect a professional to know what they're up to - there is no reason why you should feel disgusted with yourself. Again, it's entirely possible that your dentist simply doesn't have good communication skills, and you feel left in the dark. On the other hand, if you really feel she doesn't know what she's up to clinically, you can always get a second opinion.

What would you suggest for an implant that wasn't closing properly? She had to remove it and said in three months time, she would redo it. Why would that make a difference?

At a guess, she has to wait for the bone to heal before redoing it? Again, idle speculation - I'm not a dentist...

What I'd do (considering the transport situation) is ring up the dental office, tell them you need to speak to your dentist when she's got some time to spare, and to call you back. You can ask your questions over the phone if getting to the place is too much hassle. Make sure you write down your questions, and leave some space to write down the answers. If you don't understand the answers, ask her to explain again! That would be my two cents worth :)...

G

Former Member
Thank you so very much, letsconnect. I feel much better after reading your response. I am very good at putting things off, but I will have several questions to ask at my next appointment, or to call her sooner if need be.(I hope to persevere, because our communication is not very good at all.) I got really stressed out about my transportation at my last appointment, but everything worked out well. A driver reassured me they that understand at doctor's appointments that things come up and they work at it the best they can. They sure did. :jump: I have been brushing carefully and there has been no more bleeding & it appears to be healing well. :D I can only chew on one side of my mouth, because of the taller implant hitting my upper denture and am being very careful not to hit any of them.( with my tough bone, I feel you are right, it wouldn't go any deeper. Can anything be done for that?) I can feel that they are in there, though. Is this something that I'll grow used to? Or will this change in time? It's really nice being able to eat again and being off of the meds. I suppose I shouldn't be concerned about that tissue? that is around these implants? Thank you and I hope I have not been posting too much on here. Is there a limit before you say, whoa? no more? :rolleyes: Gollilue

G

Former Member
I can only chew on one side of my mouth, because of the taller implant hitting my upper denture and am being very careful not to hit any of them.

I think it's virtually impossible to say at a distance, even for a dentist, without at least seeing photos of what's going on. If you cannot chew on one side of your mouth, I really feel you should contact your dentist and talk to her, at least over the phone, when she's not in a rush.

I suppose I shouldn't be concerned about that tissue? that is around these implants?

See above - totally impossible to say over the internet :(. Again, it's something your treating dentist needs to know about. One would hope that she takes enough pride in her work to be interested in how things are healing.

Thank you and I hope I have not been posting too much on here. Is there a limit before you say, whoa? no more? :rolleyes: Gollilue

No, there's no upper limit on posts, esp. if they're all in the same thread :D - you're welcome to post as much as you like!! I'm sorry I can't really help with your questions, but really, these are things that can only be evaluated by a dentist who can see you in person and have a look... :(

Just curious to find out - are you happy with the retention of the lower denture?

G

Former Member
Thank you lets connect..I will be sure and have my questions ready for the dentist when I see her in two weeks, or I will call her if something important comes up!I know I should call her with all of my questions, too, but I have a hard time doing that. It seems to be healing well and all looks good, just a little tender, which I feel is normal. I don't have the retained denture, yet. I have one implant to go, (maybe that's why.) I'm hoping it will close up next time and I have to wait until October for that one. If I have to wait for that one to heal, it will be 2006. Oh, well, I've gone four years without a bottom denture, what's another six or more months? LOL :D ( I am not really that blase about it, though. :rolleyes: Thank you, Gollilue

G

Former Member
Hi Gollilue - just wondering how that appointment went?? Let us know, if you're dropping in...

I was under the impression that one of the advantages of minis is that the denture can be adjusted so that you can wear it straight away, but there might be exceptions, I dunno...

Hope you're keeping well :D!

G

Former Member
Thanks, letsconnect. I meant to get back here and post about my appointment. My one implant is higher than the other two(supposed to get the last one in Oct) and the dentist took an impression of my bottom denture so as to know how much to snip off. She was running behind that day and so I didn't get my denture back until yesterday and I am having a great deal of pain from the gum around the snipped implant and the soft liner and she put in the denture. The denture appears to have swollen! :o On my first visit there I had a problem with the liner that was put in to enhance the upper gum treatment and I wish I would have thought quickly enough to remind her of that. I am going back next week to see what can be done. Thank you, Gollilue