• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures/Implants?

T

tazey

Ok so my consultant mentioned the word dentures but I'm confused because its implants I'm supposed to be getting,what I need to know is do you have to get dentures before implants is that part of the process? Can you not just go from nothing to implants? I need to know this before my appointment next week.

Hi tazey,

people often believe when talking about implants that each tooth is replaced with an implant. This is not so. What happens when you have a lot of missing teeth is that implants (little titanium rods) are strategically placed in the jaw to support denture teeth, so they are firmly anchored.

For example, if someone has all their bottom teeth missing, it is common to place, say, 4 implants which will then support a denture.

To replace all top teeth, it would be more common to have, say, 6 implants placed in the top jaw to support the denture.

Don't take the above as gospel - how many implants and what type of implants are used varies from individual to individual.

You can read a more technical description here:

Wishing you all the best for your appointment next week :grouphug:

Last edited:
Thanks for replying at any stage tho do you have to wear them before or after they fit the implants? (Because I don't want that) also in 5yrs I've only ever had x.rays never any scans.

To be honest I'm totally bamboozled (not least because it's virtually unheard of to get dental implants on the NHS without a grave medical reason).

What has been said during previous consultations? What type of implant solution has been suggested (implant-supported bridges? implant-supported dentures?)? How are the follow-up costs going to be met - will there be funding available in the future? If not, will you be able to fund the ongoing costs yourself?

Sorry it's really hard to comment without knowing more details :(.

To be honest not a lot has been said so far+i have no idea what type of implants. What do you mean follow up costs there wouldn't be any? the implants would be put in then that's it I'd get regular check ups from a normal dentist as often as a normal person would.

Last edited:
By follow up costs I meant the long-term care of your implants and the restorations on the implants - I wouldn't have thought that the NHS would cover this. For example, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Trust have an information page for their dental implant patients which explicitly states that

"It is possible for parts of your implants to loosen or wear out with time. This can lead to failure of the implant, or the restoration on the implant, if not treated quickly. You will be responsible for the long-term care of your implants, by seeking care at your own dentist at your own cost."

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/health-information/dental-implants

I'm finding it quite concerning that you've been given so little information about the implant process and the long-term care involved :(. That really is terrible and I feel for you.

They haven't said yet because things haven't even started yet+ive just had to change consultants if something came up years after then obviously I'd find the money+pay for it. (not that this subject was about money or what I can/cant afford).

It's really been dragging on for a long time hasn't it :(??

If you haven't had a proper consultation yet, the only thing I'd suggest would be to read up as much as possible on implants on the internet, so it's easier to understand what the consultant is proposing, and to write down all your questions for him on a piece of paper to take along to your meeting next week.

It's really been dragging on for a long time hasn't it :(??

If you haven't had a proper consultation yet, the only thing I'd suggest would be to read up as much as possible on implants on the internet, so it's easier to understand what the consultant is proposing, and to write down all your questions for him on a piece of paper to take along to your meeting next week.

Yes it has thanks to the last consultant. I've read as much as poss online but there's nothing that relates to the question I asked above.

Back