• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures making me Vomit

D

Dawn65

K so I know I've said all this before, but it's just not getting any better...two months on from them giving me plates and I STILL can't tolerate them in my mouth at all. I keep trying. I can get them in my mouth now, although the very sight of them makes me queasy. But within seconds I have an uncontrollable urge to vomit and have to get them out super quick.. And trying just now, I have actually thrown up because I couldn't get them out quick enough.

Meanwhile, the gaps are feeling worse very day. It's like having a mouth full of marbles you're afraid you'll choke on 24/7, while my face is shrinking into nothing. The gaps themselves are starting to make me want to vomit. I'm stiffening an urge to chuck up half a dozen times a day.

I haven't smiled in over four months. I dare not. I haven't kissed my husband. Sex is out of the question. I can eat more now, but every mouthful stresses me out. It's playing havock with my already dodgy digestive system. My IBS and acid reflux have gone off the ritcher sale. I can talk now, but every word is painful psychologically, so many words don't come out right... people don't understand me when I speak half the time. And I used to be a linguist and a trainer. My professional world is built on oral communication.

How long is this supposed to go on? Just can't cope any more. I want teeth back!!!! I have no life worth living since they took my teeth. I just want to go to sleep and NEVER wake up. I wish I'd died in that theatre. I should never have woken up to this. It's not worth it. They put me in the bin when they took my teeth. Everything that made me, me is gone and I'm so tired of living in the empty shell they left me with. I make myself feel sick just being now. This is just NEVER going to be better.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are still struggling. Have you got any further with accessing MH support? When do you see the dentist again? I don’t want to belittle your feelings, but I genuinely doubt that your face has shrunk. I think you are possibly so self-conscious that you are thinking the worst. I have had a missing molar on both sides at the bottom for more than ten years, and mine hasn’t changed at all. I had nothing in the gaps until the end of last year. I smile, kiss, and laugh without even thinking about the gaps. (I wish I could post a photo of me laughing so you could see that you can’t see!)

Obviously that is me, not you, but it is possible to have a completely normal life with missing teeth. Loads of people do. (I bet I am not the only person on this forum.) if you are not able to tolerate the plates, do you think you might be able to try and make peace with having the gaps?

Are implants possible for you?

Sadly, they took six teeth. I was only expecting them to take one wisdom tooth. And yes, my face has changed. I suddenly look 20 years older, my cheeks hang down like Deputy Dog. And no I can't live with the gaps. The constant acute awareness of my mouth is like Chinese water torture. I can't live like this.

Implants are definately not an option. I would never get through a procedure like that. What I've understood here is that the flexible things that don't have a plate might work if the dentist gives me the right paper work for a technician, but she HASN'T done that - though I've asked - and is talking about Maryland bridges instead, maybe, possibly sometime before Spring. IF that is, I am suitable and IF I can get through that. Why can't she just point me in right direction with the right bits of paper to go buy the flexis???

I have four appointments this autumn for cleaning. I used to cope with simple cleaning, but after what I've been through, I'm terrified. I don't think I can handle anyone touching me at all.

And as for mental health...I'm still waiting... I've been waiting two years for psychology - I finally got a 'review' appointment in September. Meanwhile, it doesn't matter how many crisis we hit, all the crisis team ever say is: 'there's nothing we can do, go to A&E.' A&E refer back to 'the team'. 'The team's then tell us: 'there's nothing we can do'. And back around the circle we go. Except the last time when the AMAPT wanted to lock me up, "to keep me safe", even though she knew putting a medical phobe in a locked hospital would make me decline rapidly. I ended up in a surreal situation having to escape from A&E and hide out from the police she'd called all afternoon, while I negotiated with them on the phone to let me go home without them calling and ambulance. Luckily for me, they were too busy catching criminals to be bothered about dragging me back to hospital, as technically they were supposed to. So, from them, it's NOTHING or lock me up. I wonder why we spend tax payers' money on them at all.

What really shocked me in A&E was that this woman wanted to lock me up, not because I was in any way delusional, but precisely because I was stone cold rational - apparently, that makes me a far higher risk.

But meanwhile, the supposed solution to the gaps and therefore the depression I.e. the plates, actually make me vomit! That can't be right.

Last edited:
So you have partial dentures which by the way are much less likely to cause gagging than full dentures.

Dear God! Are full ones worse????

Eventually, I'll need those, but these partial ones are making me not just gag, but actually vomit, even after a only few minutes. And that's after two months nearly of trying.

I can't survive this.

Might there be breathing exercises or similar you could do and try to build up to wearing the dentures? I had terrible gagging problems with my mouth-guard initially, but knew I had to get past it, and was able to build up to it gradually.

FWIW, I have four pre-molars missing (extracted for orthodontic reasons as a child) and one upper wisdom tooth, as well as the lower molars. People often comment on what nice teeth/lovely smile I have! There is a belief in some countries that people function perfectly well as long as they have 20 teeth, in terms of both eating and aesthetics. I think it’s called something like the shortened dental arc.

Yeah, I had four perfectly healthy teeth stolen from me as a child too, because my mother was too bloody vicariously vain to let me have a brace - yes, I am VERY bitter about that. No one even spoke to me about it, or during it, apart from 'sit down and shut up'. No one consulted me. No one told me there was a choice. No one asked my permission. I was just a kid, so what did I matter? I was just not make a fuss, while they butchered me.

And that does have a lot to do with why doctors and dentists can't treat me now. It doesn't matter whether it's the right rational thing to do or not, as soon as they try to touch me, something I can't control in the brain flips and all I see is an attack coming. I can't hear anything anyone is saying to me, I'm disorientated and try to run or fight. Often, I can't remember a damn thing afterward. My husband says it's like trying to take a cat to the vet.

So anyway, in all, I'm now missing 10.

And there really was no excuse for that. My son had the same orthodontic problem. A brace straighten out his teeth a treat. And I would certainly NEVER EVER have let anyone lay a finger on him, unless he was sure that's what he wanted!

And yes, the dentist is telling me I have the minimum number of teeth to manage. BUT I'm NOT managing!!!!!

And I've tried and tried with these plates, but nothing is getting better. They make me feel so sick as soon as I put them in and that isn't changing, no matter how hard I try. Half of me just wants to throw them against the wall and smash them to bits. I hate them. And I hate me like this.

One day I was an average, normal, perfectly sane person, who was comfortable in her own skin, the next I woke up in world where nothing about me is right anymore. Every last shred of self-worth has gone. I've gone from being a confident trainer, to a socially avoidant quivering blob, for whom every word is a monumental effort. I've gone from being the back bone of my family; to being nothing but a burden on everyone. I've gone from being an affectionate, passionate person, to barely tolerating anyone touching me. I look in the mirror and I don't recognise myself. And to top it all, I do nothing but worry about the inevitable 'next time'. I just want all this to end now. I can't take any more.

Last edited:
Did you ever try the tongue brushing technique that worked WONDERS for me? What I did was brush the tongue sideways, like playing a violin, as far back as I could without gagging, and did that twice a day for 15 seconds. Each day, I tried to go back further, and did this for one full week. After that, I tried my denture in again (I did NOT make any attempts to do so until the full week had passed!) and I did not gag at all. I had previously not been able to keep them in without gagging, and once vomiting, for more than a few seconds.

Yes, tried that :( The brushing itself makes me feel sick further back in the mouth and doesn't ease any with repetition :(

Thinking about it brushing my very back teeth has ALWAYS triggered the gag reflex. I have always had to brush them a bit, brush else where, go back to them a bit, brush elsewhere, go back to them a bit. I have always brushed like that and I have NEVER been able to tolerate the tooth brush at the back of my mouth much longer than a few seconds.

Funny, I never stopped to think about that until now, I guess cos it's just what I've done all my life. And twice or three times a day ALL my life hasn't lessened that reflex when I brush.

Trying to brush my tongue was about the same.

From an outside point of view, based on your posts, it sounds like these dentures are just not going to work for you, so exploring other options (a bridge?) or learning to live with the gaps may be the best solution.

It’s not something I know much about, but might something like hypnosis or NLP work for you? Either in relation to managing the gag reflex, or your health anxiety? A friend of mine did a course for fear of flying and it genuinely changed her life - she was in danger of losing her job which required extensive travel.

Sadly living with the gaps will NEVER be an option. It's getting harder every day.

The dentist is talking about Maryland bridges, but for reasons I can feel in mouth but am too afraid to express in words, I don't think that can ever happen. I don't believe she can do that. And then there will be the 'next time' they are coming for me....

I simply will choose NOT to live through the 'next time' - out of the question for anyone to do anything like that to me ever again. But if there is a vague possibility for me have a few more years life to do a few things I want, ...I need those flexis thingies. I just want the dentist to send me in the right direction with the right paper work to get them. They might buy me a couple of years... Then, I have no intention of living through any more. Enough is enough! And I've had more than enough.

https://www.samaritans.org/?nation=scotland

Just popping this here in case it’s useful.

I am possibly being over-sensitive (period due!) but your posts are making me think - is it really that awful and disgusting and shameful to have missing teeth and gaps? Are people actually secretly repulsed by me? What would you think of me if we met and you spotted I had missing lower molars?

I am not going to read or comment on your posts any more because I am starting to find them upsetting, but I really hope you get a satisfactory solution, and find some peace.

Tooth implants.

I understand the emotions behind losing your teeth. I lost three this year, and am going to lose my front tooth next month (due to a childhood injury). I have always had healthy teeth, so this was a huge surprise. I am already dreading the loss of the front tooth. I got the flipper last week to wear after I lose the front tooth and it is seriously stressing me out. I also hate to have plastic in my mouth. It doesn't gross me out as much as male me feel almost claustrophobic.

I am trying to be sensitive to your phobia as well, so please take this as it is intended...as an encouragement. Your family does not want to live without you. It sounds like you have decided you are done when your teeth next give you issues.

I struggled a lot when I lost my back lower molar. Then when I lost the first molar next to it, it was devastating. I hate the feeling of having nothing after the premolar. I also have had my wisdom teeth out, and 4 premolars as a teen. I also cannot see living with a permanent denture.

I chose to get implants, as I can't deal with the alternative. I know you said it isn't an option, as you couldn't make it through, but could you have them done under general anesthesia? The procedure was much easier than I had anticipated, with a quick recovery. I have had one placed so far and can't even feel it. It would be like getting your teeth back.

I respect your opposition to it, but just wanted to offer encouragement to pursue that option if you truly feel you can't live without the teeth. I would be happy to answer any questions you had about it. It has been an exhausting journey for me this past year, and I can sympathize with you on the depression and feeling out of control.

Would your financial situation allow you to see a clinical psychologist privately? It sounds as if you could do with all the support you can get right now, and the mental health services in your area sound hopelessly underfunded :(.

https://www.samaritans.org/?nation=scotland

Just popping this here in case it’s useful.

I am possibly being over-sensitive (period due!) but your posts are making me think - is it really that awful and disgusting and shameful to have missing teeth and gaps? Are people actually secretly repulsed by me? What would you think of me if we met and you spotted I had missing lower molars?

I am not going to read or comment on your posts any more because I am starting to find them upsetting, but I really hope you get a satisfactory solution, and find some peace.

No nothing to do with sham or other people's view of me - just an unbearable awareness of my own body.

Would your financial situation allow you to see a clinical psychologist privately? It sounds as if you could do with all the support you can get right now, and the mental health services in your area sound hopelessly underfunded :(.

Unfortunately, that seems to be everyone's experience. Chap from mind tells me everyone is getting the same indifference from them. Their lack of resources I forgive them, their attitude I do not.

I understand the emotions behind losing your teeth. I lost three this year, and am going to lose my front tooth next month (due to a childhood injury). I have always had healthy teeth, so this was a huge surprise. I am already dreading the loss of the front tooth. I got the flipper last week to wear after I lose the front tooth and it is seriously stressing me out. I also hate to have plastic in my mouth. It doesn't gross me out as much as male me feel almost claustrophobic.

I am trying to be sensitive to your phobia as well, so please take this as it is intended...as an encouragement. Your family does not want to live without you. It sounds like you have decided you are done when your teeth next give you issues.

I struggled a lot when I lost my back lower molar. Then when I lost the first molar next to it, it was devastating. I hate the feeling of having nothing after the premolar. I also have had my wisdom teeth out, and 4 premolars as a teen. I also cannot see living with a permanent denture.

I chose to get implants, as I can't deal with the alternative. I know you said it isn't an option, as you couldn't make it through, but could you have them done under general anesthesia? The procedure was much easier than I had anticipated, with a quick recovery. I have had one placed so far and can't even feel it. It would be like getting your teeth back.

I respect your opposition to it, but just wanted to offer encouragement to pursue that option if you truly feel you can't live without the teeth. I would be happy to answer any questions you had about it. It has been an exhausting journey for me this past year, and I can sympathize with you on the depression and feeling out of control.

Thanks but implants really are impossible. It really isn't that this is my teeth in particular. It would be the same with any part of my body which required any sort of invasive treatment. I can't go through it. Yet, neither can I tolerate anything making me aware of my body. I function just fine in this world only so long as I can ignore my body altogether and pretend doctors and dentists don't exist. As soon as I can't avoid it or them, I go from normal, reasonable person to a gibbering wreck in a full blown crisis.

The real problem here is not the way I look, although the fact I am suddenly and brutally 20 years older is upsetting. It's not that eating is stressful, although it's playing havoc with my digestive system and I'm losing too much weight. It's not that it's effecting my speech, although that is absolutely devastating for me given what I do. It's certainly not whether anyone else thinks I'm attractive or not...I never cared much about that, anyway. It's that the gaps are making me AWARE, AWARE, AWARE! And I just can't turn it off. It's like Chinese water torture 24/7. The plates were supposed to solve the problem. I've been shocked to discover you can feel them in your mouth at all. I never knew that. And they too make me AWARE, AWARE to the point of being physically sick.

I'm so desperate to get away from my own mouth. And there's no where to go.

As for MH, I have been saying to MH for literally decades, that if I don't get some help with this, one day it will kill me because logically we all get older, stuff goes wrong and then they might need to do something life saving and no one will be able to touch me, or because I just won't tolerate what's happening to my body and it will push me over the edge. But, I've been lucky, through all that time. I've been reasonably healthy, so with no other help than CBT, of which I've had shed loads and it's absolutely useless, I just got on with life. But I always knew this day was coming...

Had they just taken the one wisdom tooth they said they were going to take, I would have been ill for a while, but I might not have been too aware after it healed and I would have got better. But they didn't and I am beginning to think there is no solution and no hope.

It's taken this for MH to listen to me at all.

As for any surgical rectification, like implants, I CAN'T get through another procedure or another GA. It was sending me over the edge when they did that for the extractions. I was literally banging my head on the wall and rocking in the corner. I practically had to be dragged in there and I'd lost capacity to consent. They made a best interest decision. I had to be restrained by security when I came round because I was fighting to get away. I can't remember that and I'm absolutely not normally a violent person. Then they had to call the police because I was running off still under the influence of their awful drugs - I can remember some of that.

Besides, the dentist strongly warned against implants. Special care can't treat me any more if I did get them. Not that I could ever consider it anyway.

At the end of the day, I just don't want to be aware any more and I don't want anyone to touch me again. And I know that's asking for the impossible... meanwhile, I have to go for cleaning this week...she's never going to be able to touch me after what happened, but I can't face what happens if she doesn't. I just feel so sandwiched between competing nightmares and I can't see a way out.

Back