• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures Young

H

Hailey_V

Hi so I have a fear of getting dentures at a really young age like 21 or younger (I'm 18 rn). Anyone who has gotten them at that age? If so, what was it like for you and how long have you had them now?

Hi Hailey_V:welcome:,

I just saw that nobody replied so far. I was curious where does your fear of getting dentures come from?

This young lady documented her journey to dentures in a very informative way and helped me a lot in my early days. She ended up going further and eventually getting implants, but her first videos are all about her trip with old-fashioned dentures.

Hi Hailey!

So I myself am getting a removable partial denture next year but I found that out when I was 29. However, I do have a family member who got all of his teeth extracted, and full dentures at 20 and I can tell you, you wouldn’t know he had them if he never said anything. He eats, talks, laughs, does everything a person with regular teeth would. Sometimes it takes him a bit longer to chew on something, but other than that, there really isn’t a difference!

When I found out I needed partials, he was the first person I called and he told me that yes, it’s an adjustment, and your routine will change but that a lot of it is just sticking with it, and getting used to it. That there is no reason to be afraid because it’s a relief to have unhealthy teeth that were hurting your health out of your mouth.

In any case, he’s never had a problem in life in regards to his dentures. He‘s been married twice, had a family, switched careers and has never not had a fulfilling life. He did joke with me that if you eat nuts and get one stuck under the denture (which is common) you just excuse yourself, go to the bathroom, take out the denture and “pry that sucker out of there” which was hilarious to hear at the time.

When I found out, I was in shock. I thought my life was over, never in a million years did I see this happening. So if you do find out news like that, you have to give yourself time to feel all your feelings because there’ll be a lot of them. I felt very depressed afterwards like my life was over. It’s not, but it is a long journey. However by the end I’ll have a beautiful smile, like my family member does and that’s really what matters. That thought. The end goal.

But also, I would advise you to try not to focus on something you don’t know for certain yet! Focus on what you can do now rather than what’s out of your control. Since I’m getting a partial, I’m keeping many of my natural teeth, and I focused a lot of their health when I found out about the extractions I needed. I could control that, I could do something about that. And it certainly helped.

It looking as though I might need dentures in the very near future. I’m currently 28 years old and feeling super anxious and horrified about the ordeal. I would really love some support of people around my age who have them

@Bondgirl222 Hey Bond Girl!

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going to need dentures and that you’re so anxious. Although I haven’t gotten my partials yet, I will be getting them next year (my extractions are scheduled for November.) I’m in my early 30s, so I’m around that age group. I do have a journal on here if you want to read the itty gritty details of my journey.

Besides that, there’s a YouTuber called My Reason To Smile who was in her 20s when she got full dentures. She’s so amazing! Highly recommend. Also the Subreddit for Denture Wearers has a lot of resources and a lot of younger people who have them. Also very encouraging.

You got this! You’re going to be okay!

@Bondgirl222 Hey Bond Girl!

I’m sorry to hear that you’re going to need dentures and that you’re so anxious. Although I haven’t gotten my partials yet, I will be getting them next year (my extractions are scheduled for November.) I’m in my early 30s, so I’m around that age group. I do have a journal on here if you want to read the itty gritty details of my journey.

Besides that, there’s a YouTuber called My Reason To Smile who was in her 20s when she got full dentures. She’s so amazing! Highly recommend. Also the Subreddit for Denture Wearers has a lot of resources and a lot of younger people who have them. Also very encouraging.

You got this! You’re going to be okay!

Thank you so much. I read some of your journal and will continue to read it, it’s a huge help. Parts of your story are similar to mine regarding dental phobia and not taking enough care in cleaning my teeth as a teen. For me, depression took its toll. Biggest regret of my life but there’s no going back now, we can only look forward.

I do however, resent Mother Nature for giving us only one set of adult teeth! I would do anything to regrow them back and after this ordeal, I would never take them for granted ever ever again. I’m glad I found this forum though, it’s super helpful and comforting. I had a look at the subreddit and it’s amazing how many other young people are going through the same.

@Bondgirl222 I’m so glad! Part of the reason I started it was to hopefully help others. I’m hoping that once I actually start the process fully, I’ll be able to provide even more help to toners.

Absolutely yes! I’ve said it multiple times to others but isn’t it three strikes and you’re out? We should get another set! LOL but I am absolutely the same.

Still. All we can do is whatever we can for our teeth and gums and moths for right now. Even if that’s a little different.

In any case feel free to DM me if you ever need to talk :) or reply on my journal or some such.