• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentures

A

avalon

My teeth are not in good shape missing a lot of back teeth! Years ago a dentist once said to me I would never be able to wear dentures he said I could wear them socially but would not be able to eat with them......I was young and didn’t ask why. I have a few thoughts as to maybe why he would say that. 1. I have a high narrow pallet 2. Tounge thrust....that was caused by large tonsils/adenoids that were not addressed early and caused me to sleep with my mouth open.....I have read about tounge thrust and have worked on correcting it. The thoughts of going without teeth worries me daily I become obsessed with it. Has anyone not been able to wear their dentures? I won’t date or become involved with anyone because I would never want to explain this or expect anyone to deal with it. Thank you for any advice or feedback.

Hi avalon,

the thoughts of going without teeth would worry me too, after such a statement from a dentist. I am a bit surprised about two things. Firstly, the ultimacy of the statement - it sounds pretty black or white, doesn't it? Not sure there is anything like "never" in dentistry.. Secodly, I would expect an explanation of why the denist thought so and also other options. The dentist's job is to find ways for you to be able to eat! In this regard, before getting discouraged or obsessing about this, it might be good to get a second opinion and see what options you have..

All the best wishes

A dentist said it years ago. And there’s the key. Technology and treatment get better all the time and you can’t compare dentistry now with dentistry in my childhood for instance (bit more than a “few years” though!). I haven’t been to the dentist for maybe 10 years and so many things have changed and improved since then. So I would try to ignore a throw away remark, which wasn’t explained and if I needed any advice I would ask a dentist now. I certainly wouldn’t let his comment dictate how I live my life (e.g. not dating). These dentist people can work miracles these days!

A good dentist will work with you to find the best solution. I really can’t understand why he told you that you would not be able to eat with dentures. Don’t get me wrong, it’s quite a learning process, but it’s possible. The only time I hear about people being unable to eat wearing dentures is if they have not been fitted correctly. I’m going through the process of having my permanent set fitted now, and I’m up to appointment #3 because my bite was off.

Avalon,

You have gotten good advice really from everyone so far.. all dentist not created equal and technology has come along way like the rest said.. I would encourage you to try a consult at a prosthodontist if you haven't yet.. one or two to get an idea and alot of them offer free consults . The are the best and specialize in dentures and implants. I am hopeful the right dentist can find a good option for you to feel comfortable with!:grouphug: