• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deperate for help, terrible pain from injection

M

micki9637

Hi all, new here. Can't believe such a place exists, where were you my whole life!!
I have severe dental fears. Started with an accident which left me with 6 teeth needing to be pulled and bridged.
Many years later I still quake.
And now my worst fears are coming back.
I went for a simple filling, worked up courage that it's just a simple filling! And came home with the worst complications.
Was on tooth numbers 30 and 31. To numb she put a shot into the back of my mouth on lower right side. Filling was painful, she said she exposed a pinpoint nerve, put in medication and closed. I needed 2 shots and I still felt it.
I now have severe pain in my jaw bone, temple, the bone under my ear is horrifically painful to touch, my chin, my ear, buzzing and numb Ness in my shoulder and upper arm. Up to my temple.
600 mg of ibuprofen, alternating with 2 Tylenol for 12 days around the clock.
Every 6 hours.
I'm also taking antibiotics.
Feeling hot cold send me into insane spasms, and such severe pain I have dreams of chopping half my face off.
Wakes me up at night, and nothing absolutely nothing makes it feel better.
Day number 12!!!
Putting pressure on any of the teeth does not hurt, but hot cold... OMG
If I put my finger and feel the area where injections went, it is super painful, and sends me into new waves of pain.
My dentist said I now must need a root canal to take away pain.
Now last year I had a wisdom tooth extracted on the same lower right side, injection went in the same exact spot.
I had 11 days of the same exact pain! Dentist (diff one) said it was a complicated extraction, and pain is because I'm getting old (40)
11 days of the same pain meds, and it gradually went away.
But now I have the same pain!! And the only thing in common is the injection in the same area.
Do I go get a root canal? How can I get one if I'm petrified of getting numb!!! Will that solve the pain in my chin? In my temple? My numb arm?
Please help, I'm in so much pain every day I can't bear it. And I'm so so scared to get more work done :(

Hi micki,

hope a dentist replies soon as I am not one, but what you describe sounds like you need a root canal treatment. Sometimes, if a filling is a deep one due to decay being very close to the nerve, the dentist puts a medication in and fills the tooth. The purpose of the medication is to calm the nerve. Such teeth have 50/50 chance to chance to calm down. If such a tooth keeps on hurting and causing the level of sensitivity you are talking about, then it means you need a root canal treatment. I am impressed you managed to go like this for whole 12 days!
I don't know much about extractions so not sure why you were in so much pain after the wisdom teeth removal.

Hope you can be seen as soon as possible to get the needed treatment and get rid of the pain.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Hi micki,

hope a dentist replies soon as I am not one, but what you describe sounds like you need a root canal treatment. Sometimes, if a filling is a deep one due to decay being very close to the nerve, the dentist puts a medication in and fills the tooth. The purpose of the medication is to calm the nerve. Such teeth have 50/50 chance to chance to calm down. If such a tooth keeps on hurting and causing the level of sensitivity you are talking about, then it means you need a root canal treatment. I am impressed you managed to go like this for whole 12 days!
I don't know much about extractions so not sure why you were in so much pain after the wisdom teeth removal.

Hope you can be seen as soon as possible to get the needed treatment and get rid of the pain.

All the best wishes and keep us posted
That's right
SOmetimes extractions can be complicated and then you may have pain for awhile afterwards but prolonged pain with cold is from an ill tooth nerve=root canal or extraction

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Surely there is a solution to the post-injection pain.

I do not know exactly the reason for the painful injection site but if I had to put my money in something I would bet the dentists injected too fast and forcefully.
There are other means and technologies for injection which might be very helpful for you, such as THE WAND or the Quicksleeper. Both involve slow and gentle administration of the anesthetic solution. You can ask your practice or other practices in your local neighbor whether they have such technologies.
It is perfectly possible to provide a gentle injection with the traditional syringe and the dentist has to do it slowly. I talk more about this in my video about fear of pain during a dental procedure.
One more note: if the sensitivity to cold you are having is subsiding, that might be a sign that there is no need for a root canal treatment. However, if it turns out that you do need to have a root canal treatment, I strongly recommend finding a dentist/endodontist who uses one of the mentioned above technologies. Traditional injection might not help preventing the pain in root canal treatments of the lower back molars.

Dr. Daniel "I do not know exactly the reason for the painful injection site but if I had to put my money in something I would bet the dentists injected too fast and forcefully. "
Let me add to this statement. To give really comfortable almost undetectable or undetectable injections is truly an art that a few of us have worked on for many years. HOWEVER any dentist can just slowly put in a little anesthesia with an initial little burn then pause for a bit then proceed with a reasonably slow injection. This isn't hard to do and the total pain will be markedly less. As always the difference between good and perfect isn't much but the effort and expertise is incredible.

That's right
SOmetimes extractions can be complicated and then you may have pain for awhile afterwards but prolonged pain with cold is from an ill tooth nerve=root canal or extraction
Update here:
Thanks for your replies.
After 16 days the pain began to subside. And after 21, gone for good.
I was finally pain free.
6 weeks later I went to a neurologist for another issue, and described the symptoms, and she said the pain was definitely nerve related.
Exact path of pain, is where the nerve runs.
She said I must never have an injection there again, as the first time damage is done. Second more, any more time will take that much longer to heal.
Have been pain free since then!

Update here:
Thanks for your replies.
After 16 days the pain began to subside. And after 21, gone for good.
I was finally pain free.
6 weeks later I went to a neurologist for another issue, and described the symptoms, and she said the pain was definitely nerve related.
Exact path of pain, is where the nerve runs.
She said I must never have an injection there again, as the first time damage is done. Second more, any more time will take that much longer to heal.
Have been pain free since then!
Please find out the anesthetic you were given.

Interesting, will ask.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Surely there is a solution to the post-injection pain.

I do not know exactly the reason for the painful injection site but if I had to put my money in something I would bet the dentists injected too fast and forcefully.
There are other means and technologies for injection which might be very helpful for you, such as THE WAND or the Quicksleeper. Both involve slow and gentle administration of the anesthetic solution. You can ask your practice or other practices in your local neighbor whether they have such technologies.
It is perfectly possible to provide a gentle injection with the traditional syringe and the dentist has to do it slowly. I talk more about this in my video about fear of pain during a dental procedure.
One more note: if the sensitivity to cold you are having is subsiding, that might be a sign that there is no need for a root canal treatment. However, if it turns out that you do need to have a root canal treatment, I strongly recommend finding a dentist/endodontist who uses one of the mentioned above technologies. Traditional injection might not help preventing the pain in root canal treatments of the lower back molars.

Sounds like a case the "dentist injects to fast" like Dr. Daniel said, I had this happen to me although I banged on the chair with my hand and he hit the plunger harder, I shot out of the chair tearing my gums up and breaking the tip of the needle off in my gums, that was 16 years ago. To this day no one goes near my mouth with anything in their hands, that's why on August 30 I will be napping while all my tooth problems (and huge bottom tori) go away, I will wake the worlds happiest man knowing I will never need to see a dentist for the rest of my living years.

Disclairmer - Their is incredible dentists out there in this world, the above comment is not intended to insult dentists, it's just what my experience has been.

Looks like I spoke too soon.
Woke up a few days ago with some strange sensitivity on tooth area and a bubble on my gumline.
A quick search here shows it was prob a abcess.
I went to the dentist, and she took an x-ray, and confirmed.
She gave me antibiotics, and told me to get a second opinion from an endodontist, as based on this x-ray she said I need a root canal.
Now how in the world am I going to get a root canal if I cannot get an injection to numb??
And it wierd that I have no pain at all, on the tooth. Doesn't a tooth needing a root canal hurt?
I have an appt for a second opinion, but curious what u guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_163853340.jpg
    IMG_20190808_163853340.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
You can get either a different type of local anaesthetic or else have it put in a different place, or both, there are several different ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Back