• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deperate!!!!

G

Former Member
I just found this board while searching for some info on the internet and hopefully someone will be able to offer up some advice.....I am 21 years old (in the US) and I have bad teeth. That is not something I am embarrassed about, I take care of them the best I can. Anyways I have had one broken molar since May. The pain stopped so I don't worry about it anymore. A few weeks ago another molar broke on the opposite side and this one is sharp and hurts like crazy. Not to mention it is leaving this terrible taste in my mouth. One of my front bottom teeth have a hole in it as well. I am very VERY uncomfortable and I hate the dentist but right now realize I have to go. Problem is-- I can't afford it. I've looked high and low on what to do and how I might be able to and every option is either not applicable to me or I can't afford it (ie Discount plans). I'm in my 4th year of college, my dad just had major income cuts, my mom has a chronic illness, plus more so it is obvious that this is not just a temporary situation where I can borrow money from someone for help. I also know that I need a lot of work and I want it all done at once because I won't go back unless I'm in pain- which is wrong but without being able to afford it and with having a fear of the dentist, that would be my ideal situation. The other problem is we moved a year ago and I don't have a dentist (or doctor) in my area and don't know anyone to ask for a reccomendation. From where I used to live I always saw a different dentist because either I didn't like the one I saw or we owed them money from my last emergency and either they wouldn't see me or they'd ask for money that we didn't have nad explained to them that we didn't have it and they didn't really care so I would just avoid that mess. I just need to do something and I need to do it quick. There is hardly anything I can eat anymore since my broken molars are both on the bottom and my ears are starting to hurt as well and I know that is not good. Any suggestions on how to go about doing something in my situation would be greatly appreciated!!!! I can also be reached at: [email protected]

:welcome: Samantha, and so sorry to hear you're having a horrible time of it at the moment. Everyone here knows about being very fearful of dental treatment, so your among friends :hug2:
I'm in the UK, so I don't know very much about how health care works in the US, but it seems very tough that being able to see a dentist is all about having the money :cry: That must make a difficult situation even worse. We do have people here who know about your side of the pond, and I'm sure they'll be along soon with some suggestions.
You've probably already tried this, but is your college not able to help at all? Just wondered if they had some kind of medical office that could help with contacts. The only other thing I can think of is to find a hospital nearby that teaches dentistry, who may be able to offer advice??
Anyway, take care and let us know how you go :grouphug:

:XXLhug:
hey girl...i don't have much helpfull advice, because if you look at some of my postings, you will see i am in pretty much the same boat. both of my lower molars were/are broken, i just had one extracted last month, and the other is next on the list to get taken out. i have to tell you that that foul taste is most likely an infection, and that can be pretty serious. i am not one to talk, considering my molar is currently teeming with infection. but it may end up hurting you like you've never felt pain before. so please try as hard as you can. and i know that you probably are. i know the feeling very well of not having enough money to handle dental woes. if you look in the 'dental questions answered' you will see my response to that.
regarding help with money....the united states federal government really doesn't care, and would let you die first. but you should look into what the state you are living in has to offer. i am in a state that does not care at all (its the president's brothers state after all!), but i used to live in pennsylvania, and that is a wonderfull state. they have insurance plans for low-income adults for around $20 a month. children are free. prescriptions included. so maybe try checking into your state government.
other than that, there isn't much to do. i just aquired insurance for the very first time because i got married. if it wasn't for that, who knows what i would do.
i understand the sharpness of a broken tooth sucks, i know that pain well. for that, the only advice i can offer would be to put half a cotton ball on the sharp part. doing that saved me alot of pain from getting cut up. just remember to change it out frequently. regarding food....hey, i mainly live on pancakes and scrambled eggs. lost ALOT of weight since starting this "bad teeth diet" as i call it.
i am not trying to depress you any here. its just that i know how hard it is to get your teeth taken care of. as much as you would like to get everything taken care of at once, they probably can't do that. especially if there is infection involved. maybe just handle it one tooth at a time. that way the costs are as low as you can get. you just have to force yourself to get things taken care of even if it doesn't hurt. because even if something doesn't hurt you now, it could still really hurt you later. i have had a lot of sore, hurting and sensitive teeth, but i only ever had two real nasty, true toothaches, and it was the worst pain i have ever felt in my life. more than cuts, burns and broken bones.
hmmm...i am fearing that this post may just be deppressing you more, and for that i'm sorry. i am just trying to help. be strong for yourself. know that you aren't the only girl facing the same problem (i'm 22). and know that with time, you will be fixed up like new with a beautifull smile. just take it one day at a time, one tooth a time.
what i have been doing is waiting until i have a emergency and then going. but i know that is definitily NOT the way to do things.
so please, if you can, put away every last extra cent that you have after paying your bills and buying food and put it towards your mouth. it will be worth it.
i wish i was more help and had better advice. this is just what i have been going thru, and what i have done.

so... :XXLhug: hugs again...
i wish you the best in this situation.

i forgot to include this..i am pretty new to my area, so i had no-one to ask for a recommendation too, i was attracted to my dentist (okay, i've only been there once, but its my goal to have him do all the rest of the work in my mouth), because i noticed in the phonebook that his ad mentioned that they 'cater to cowards', that, and i LOVE modern dentistry, such as the 'wand' and the air abrasion drill, and intra-oral digital camera imaging...that sort of thing. makes me feel safer and more comfortable. and most importanly, find out about his education and training. my dentist has a website that has all of his certifications and degrees on it.
hope that helps some.

Back