• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Depressed about missing front teeth

M

matt2012

Hello. Glad to have found this forum.
I've had periodontal gum disease since 2012 and it's only gotten worse. I've seen the dentist consistently but mainly all they is pull teeth and deep cleanings. So far they've pulled around a dozen of my teeth. Including 5 of my top front teeth and 4 bottom front teeth.

My depression and social anxiety has become overwhelming. The dentist gave me partial denture flippers to wear to cover the gaps in front. The upper flipper hurts to wear, slips loose and last night broke in half while I was eating at a holiday party.

I feel like gum disease and losing teeth is ruining my life. It's having a negative impact on my job, my social life, my ability to talk and smile and my self confidence when going on dates.

Unfortunately there's no in person support groups for people with gum disease. I've been trying to get help from a therapist but most of them don't understand chronic physical pain. Any ideas on a better way to deal with all my unending dental treatment drama would be great.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

terribly sorry to read what you are going through. Your dental situation affecting pretty every area of your life sounds awful. I am trying to picture how it must have felt to have the flipper broken at a holiday party and could burst into tears just at the thought.

Reading your post, my first thoughts go to your dental team. You didn't not write much about how your current practice makes you feel and whether they gave you options or discussed ways of improving the quality of your life with you, but from what you wrote it doesn't sound like they are too supportive. Stabilizing the situation and making you able to eat and smile comfortably is one of the things your dentist should take care of, no matter what your situation is. In fact, your dental team should serve you as a in person support, so I was wondering what is going on in your practice.. :(

You mentioned most therapists not understanding chronic physical pain. May I ask what you are referring to? Are you constantly in pain due to your teeth?

Hi Matt,

terribly sorry to read what you are going through. Your dental situation affecting pretty every area of your life sounds awful. I am trying to picture how it must have felt to have the flipper broken at a holiday party and could burst into tears just at the thought.

Reading your post, my first thoughts go to your dental team. You didn't not write much about how your current practice makes you feel and whether they gave you options or discussed ways of improving the quality of your life with you, but from what you wrote it doesn't sound like they are too supportive. Stabilizing the situation and making you able to eat and smile comfortably is one of the things your dentist should take care of, no matter what your situation is. In fact, your dental team should serve you as a in person support, so I was wondering what is going on in your practice.. :(

You mentioned most therapists not understanding chronic physical pain. May I ask what you are referring to? Are you constantly in pain due to your teeth?
Hi. Thanks for replying.
I receive treatment at the Dental School of a local college. They are the most affordable since my dental insurance doesn't cover much. The students do the dental work but are supervised by their professors. For the most part everyone there is very professional and caring. Although Ive always dreaded going to the dentist and avoided going for 20 years which is why I have gum disease.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can get in before the holidays. I want to get the flipper repaired since it was expensive. And see if they can fit me for an essix retainer to use as a backup.

The chronic pain I mentioned is that I have a lot of cavities, my gums are always sore and when I wear my top flipper for long periods it hurts like hell and gives me dry mouth. Most therapists focus more on mental health and think anti-depressants and cognitive therapy and don't want to talk about ongoing physical pain.

Anyway I'm rambling here. My main concern now is how much I've been isolating because I'm afraid my flipper will cause more problems and embarass me socially. I have nightmares about being out in public and having people see my missing front teeth.

I regret letting the dental school pull so many of my teeth. They said the teeth were loose, couldn't be saved and would fall out at some point. Which now I think is stupid. I should have just kept them if they weren't causing me pain.

Thanks again. Fortunately a lot of my friends have been really supportive. And some also have gum disease.
- Matt

Plenty of people wear dentures and enjoy a full life.

How are you doing, Matt? Did you manage to call the practice?

I can see a bit of mixed feelings about the place you go to - on the first hand it sounds like you feel being treated nicely, which is a very important part. On the other hand you regret letting them take the teeth out in the past, which sounds like not being sure whether it has been necessary. I think it is reasonable to follow the diagnosis and treatment suggestion from a dental care professional. Also, if the teeth have been very lose, it might have been better to take them out deliberately rather than letting you experience a bitter surprise one day.

Regarding your chronic pain. This sounds like a difficult topic. If you are in pain because of your teeth or gums, then having a dentist fix it sounds like the best idea as the dental part is the cause. May I ask you what it is that holds you back from getting that treatment? (still trying to get the whole picture, sorry if I am asking too much). When it comes to your flipper, your clinic should be able to adjust it so that you will be able to wear it for prolonged periods of time. It might take few visits, but a flipper is not supposed to be painful.

Glad to read your friends are supportive. It's also good that you are clear about what factors make your situation worse and what causes your fear. I am sure once you got the dental part sorted, things will go better. If there is any possibility to get a second opinion from another clinic, that might be a good idea too, just to make sure you are on the right track.

By the way, rambling is fine, so feel free to write as much as you like here :grouphug:

hi Matt I feel you I am in a similar situation. I didnt have my teeth pulled except for the 4 wisdoms that didnt need to come out. But I had terrible perio surgeries 13 years ago that left me basically disfigured and its been rough ever since. I am not sure how to go on.
For you what about getting a bone graft and implants?