• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Depression gone worse due to teeth pain

• Thread starter Scaredofdentist02737
  • Start date
S

Scaredofdentist02737

Dear whomever may read this,

Please forgive me if this post is long, I apologise on advance.

I am a 26 year old female. Recently, a pain started in my upper tooth area the one just before the wisdom tooth.

I went to my dentist and she said that I need a root canal. She done the first part of it and after that said I need to come in for 9 more sessions.

I thought that is not right and went to a private dentist first time in my life, that too twice out of pain. I was advised that root canal can be done but cost is £800 for it and then another 800 for a crown to seal it. I don’t have that much money.

He gave me antibiotics twice. I was also on paracetamol and nurofen constantly although I’m not supposed to have nurofen as I have IBS but my pain was that bad.

I couldn’t take it anymore and my friends told me better to get it taken out. So I did at a dental hospital.

However, I realised, I am always in pain everyday due to my teeth and I can’t even pinpoint the exact teeth sometimes. But all this had lead to the most excruciating headaches. Headaches which I have every day. It has worsened my depression so much as I do not know why there is pain always and why I have constant headaches.

Please can someone advice me what to do? I am so terrified.

Kind regards to all

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I don't understand what the 9 sessions were for, presumably there was a lot of other work needing doing apart from the root canal?
Sounds like you need to start by finding a dentist you like and can trust and take it from there, chopping and changing dentists is never a great idea.

S

Scaredofdentist02737

I don't understand what the 9 sessions were for, presumably there was a lot of other work needing doing apart from the root canal?
Sounds like you need to start by finding a dentist you like and can trust and take it from there, chopping and changing dentists is never a great idea.
Thank you so much for messaging Gordon, I really appreciate it. She said the 9 sessions for the root canal alone which is why I was so skeptical. I am petrified of dentists now

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
That makes no sense. If she was doing that for NHS fees then she'd be bankrupt by Xmas :)

Anyway, have a read on here about finding a good phobic friendly dentist. We're not all monsters, some of us are even quite pleasant people.