• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Depression is worse than the actual physical pain of having all your teeth removed

S

squiggles010196

Depression is worse than the actual physical pain of having all your teeth removed

I finally got and gathered the courage to go see a dentist about dentures several weeks ago. I have had a upper partial for about 11 years. The was the last time I saw a dentist and had 6 teeth pulled. I used sedation pills to get thru the process 11 years ago.

I knew this day would come eventually. I didn't want to do this process until I was at least 50 plus years old. I turned 51 in February and have had several loose teeth for awhile.

I wish I had dealt with this stuff sooner. I figured that when the time came, I could get the teeth pulled and have replacement dentures on the same day. Because of how bad my teeth were, I now have to go 3 1/2 weeks with teeth. The denturist could not make a mold for fear of the teeth coming out with the mold. Word of advice for those out there in a similar fear - go sooner rather than later.

After I got the upper partial, I never really ever looked at myself in the mirror again. I have never looked in the mirror at myself with out the upper partial in. I felt ugly then and today I even uglier than ever. If it wasn't for my son, I don't know what I would be around for. My son is what keeps me going in my life right now. Although the fear of his friend seeing me is what keeps me inside of the house for the next 3 weeks. My husband is taking him to boy scouts, camps, errands, etc.

Last Thursday, I had the remaining teeth pulled under sedation. This price doesn't come cheap - $15,000 for the teeth pulled, implant on the bottom and dentures on the top. I gotta say I love sedation dentisty. I honestly don't even remembering getting in the car to go to the dentist or even getting out of the car once we got home last Thursday.

I have been on antibiotics and Percocet and have had little pain since Thursday. I go in for a recheck on Wednesday. Before the appointment, I was so terrified of what pain I would experience with having so many teeth pulled all at once.

Right now the biggest pain is the emotional pain and depression. My husband had me talk to an acquaintance he knew that had gone thru a similar procedure. My husband had seen this woman without any teeth at a local meeting and even talked about the physical changes in her face and her voice.

Despite that, he is having a hard time seeing my face totally changed right now. My voice doesn't even sound the same without teeth. I feel so ugly right now. I pray and hope I am not scaring my 11 year old son.

I work from home but so frustrated that people can't understand me right now. I don't have a choice but have to answer the phone since we run a family business that is service oriented.

I can't sleep right now and tears just keep me awake. I should be in bed but can't help thinging about things. I hope in 3 weeks things go okay. I have felt so ashamed that I have only been able to tell 1 friend. I can't even tell close friends what I am going through.

When I think of people without teeth, I always use to think of those people being in their 80's or 90's.

I am suppose to bring the denturist a picture of me smiling. I honestly don't think I have any. Even in high school when my teeth were good, I was one of those people that had a hard smiling for the camera and making it natural.

Pity party for one - ugly plus size woman with no teeth

Re: Depression is worse than the actual physical pain of having all your teeth removed

There is nothing worse than 'emotional' pain - no matter what the root cause. Things may be looking bleak at the moment - but the sun will shine again:).
No, your appearance will not scare your son - you are mum and he loves you for all your special qualities and not for your appearance. Your husband may be feeling your pain and unable to communicate that to you. I'm sure he probably looks away because he knows how sensitive you're feeling at the moment.
Take care :)

Re: Depression is worse than the actual physical pain of having all your teeth removed

I finally got and gathered the courage to go see a dentist about dentures several weeks ago. I have had a upper partial for about 11 years. The was the last time I saw a dentist and had 6 teeth pulled. I used sedation pills to get thru the process 11 years ago.

I knew this day would come eventually. I didn't want to do this process until I was at least 50 plus years old. I turned 51 in February and have had several loose teeth for awhile.

I wish I had dealt with this stuff sooner. I figured that when the time came, I could get the teeth pulled and have replacement dentures on the same day. Because of how bad my teeth were, I now have to go 3 1/2 weeks with teeth. The denturist could not make a mold for fear of the teeth coming out with the mold. Word of advice for those out there in a similar fear - go sooner rather than later.

After I got the upper partial, I never really ever looked at myself in the mirror again. I have never looked in the mirror at myself with out the upper partial in. I felt ugly then and today I even uglier than ever. If it wasn't for my son, I don't know what I would be around for. My son is what keeps me going in my life right now. Although the fear of his friend seeing me is what keeps me inside of the house for the next 3 weeks. My husband is taking him to boy scouts, camps, errands, etc.

Last Thursday, I had the remaining teeth pulled under sedation. This price doesn't come cheap - $15,000 for the teeth pulled, implant on the bottom and dentures on the top. I gotta say I love sedation dentisty. I honestly don't even remembering getting in the car to go to the dentist or even getting out of the car once we got home last Thursday.

I have been on antibiotics and Percocet and have had little pain since Thursday. I go in for a recheck on Wednesday. Before the appointment, I was so terrified of what pain I would experience with having so many teeth pulled all at once.

Right now the biggest pain is the emotional pain and depression. My husband had me talk to an acquaintance he knew that had gone thru a similar procedure. My husband had seen this woman without any teeth at a local meeting and even talked about the physical changes in her face and her voice.

Despite that, he is having a hard time seeing my face totally changed right now. My voice doesn't even sound the same without teeth. I feel so ugly right now. I pray and hope I am not scaring my 11 year old son.

I work from home but so frustrated that people can't understand me right now. I don't have a choice but have to answer the phone since we run a family business that is service oriented.

I can't sleep right now and tears just keep me awake. I should be in bed but can't help thinging about things. I hope in 3 weeks things go okay. I have felt so ashamed that I have only been able to tell 1 friend. I can't even tell close friends what I am going through.

When I think of people without teeth, I always use to think of those people being in their 80's or 90's.

I am suppose to bring the denturist a picture of me smiling. I honestly don't think I have any. Even in high school when my teeth were good, I was one of those people that had a hard smiling for the camera and making it natural.

Pity party for one - ugly plus size woman with no teeth

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I understand being paranoid, but hey, I'm 24 and I had all my teeth pulled a couple months back, so if you think you're too young, then what am I? :p Honestly, sometimes it just happens, and I know it's difficult not to be ashamed of it, but we shouldn't be ashamed. We don't shame people who have to have any other bits and bobs replaced in their body, do we? In the grand scheme of things, it's not so big a deal, but it feels huge to us.

Your mouth has to get used to talking again when everything is a different shape, but it can learn surprisingly fast! Practice when you can, sing along to songs, talk to the plants etc. Practice makes perfect. And honestly, you'll sound much worse to your own ears than to anyone else's. When I got my temporary upper denture, the first couple of days I was really lisping and I hated it, but after that, while it still sounded bad to me, no one else even noticed. I met mother and she didn't notice I was wearing it at first, nor did she notice any changes to my voice, so that says a lot.

It'll get better, I promise. You'll adjust. You'll have good days again, and great days. Hang in there.

Back