• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Destined to lose all my teeth?

M

Mycrazyteeth

I have had horrible teeth my entire life. My mom never took me to the dentist unless I had pain and I pretty much grew up not caring much for my teeth. For the past 10 years though I brush and floss and try to see the dentist as much as I can possibly handle. Anyway, I went to the dentist in January and was told I needed one of my heavily filled teeth crowned as there was a crack. Went ahead and did that and a root scaling cleaning. Of course a month after that my tooth on the other side that was heavily filled broke. Went to dentist yesterday and she said we can probably just crown it but it may need a root canal. I also had a chipped front tooth they fixed. Then she said a lot of my front teeth have cavities on the back side and I may need to crown them. Great thanks. She also said well you know so many of these teeth are heavily filled and over time will crack. So now what? I am very upset. I keep thinking about my future? How can anyone have this many crowned teeth? Am i destined for dentures? I have 5 crowns already 3 of those were root canales and crowned. I feel.like all my molars are going g to have to be crowned. Is this even feasible? Can they last, will I be able to chew well. I cant stand the anxiety this is all causing me. Help.

only got two crowns myself but I know someone with a lot of crowns and she has had them for years and eats anything no problem

I know someone with 5 molars crowned/root canalled and that happened 10 or more years ago and they doing fine.

Thank u both. I needed the reassurance

Another example is the internet celebrity Jeffree Star who had all his teeth crowned.

Hi it might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion - there might be more tooth-friendly options available rather than going straight for full-coverage crowns.

Hi it might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion - there might be more tooth-friendly options available rather than going straight for full-coverage crowns.
Really? What do u think they can do?

I second letsconnect. Treatment usually should start with the less invasive options - decayed teeth usually get filled, not crowned straight away. It's always good to get a second opinion before jumping into any extensive treatment.

Sorry, I dont think I articulated my post right. It was a tooth that had a huge filling in it already. So one piece of the tooth on the side fell off. I doubt it can be fixed with another filling sadly.

Mycrazyteeth,

First off good taking care of yourself and your teeth even if you have a rough start in childhood you are now taking great responsibilty for your teeth! I can tell you that every tooth in my mouth is either a crown or partial. I love crowns as an option. You cannot tell a difference in look or function with crowns, I would get a crown anyday and the process is not too bad either. The partial is better than not having anything or better than having some teeth that are not functioning or just barely there. I can eat with my crowns totally fine. partial takes a little more practice.. I hope that helps and wish you the best

Sorry, I dont think I articulated my post right. It was a tooth that had a huge filling in it already. So one piece of the tooth on the side fell off. I doubt it can be fixed with another filling sadly.

Apologies for the confusion - my comment was more about your dentist’s suggestion of maybe crowning the front teeth because of decay at the back. She might be right of course but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion.

Also sometimes, inlays and onlays can be used to restore teeth that need more tooth structure replaced (where a filling would be too big), but not all dentists offer these. They would usually say on their websites though.

One of my colleagues had every single one of her teeth crowned because they were discoloured and stained due to her mother taking tetracycline antibiotics during pregnancy. They look fantastic, and she has no problems at all with eating. I often see people on TV or in magazines and assume all their teeth are crowned - Simon Cowell, for example.

Apologies for the confusion - my comment was more about your dentist’s suggestion of maybe crowning the front teeth because of decay at the back. She might be right of course but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion.

Also sometimes, inlays and onlays can be used to restore teeth that need more tooth structure replaced (where a filling would be too big), but not all dentists offer these. They would usually say on their websites though.
Ok. I agree with u on the front teeth. I think it's crazy to crown them. I want to do the least invasive thing to them. I guess I need to talk to the dentist about that. Thank u.

Back