• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Did I actually need a root canal? (

L

Luvlwggo

So I had a 2 part root canal in november on tooth number 8. Im one month post perm filling. She had to actually look at the x ray i got from another office to see the “infection.” I had the inside removed and "medicine" put in. Yesterday I had it filled. There was no damage to the actual tooth. No abscess, only slight irritation on and off that was becoming on and off soreness. (Figured it was tooth grinding) I was told I had received trauma to the area which made the tooth prone to infection. (And obviously I was told that happened.) I got multiple opinions ranging from "Get the procedure NOW before your tooth gets messed up" to "I mean its not rotting yet..."

The first part was horrible. It felt like she didn't put novacaine high enough. I felt it, pain wise towards the end. I was crying and everything. The nerve was like, alive alive. Then she slapped on my temp filling and sent me off. the perm filling wasnt even a fraction of the same pain, including recovery, where I am now. This is where I need advice

It still is sore. I just started using a pro nightguard so it shouldnt be pain from grinding.
I did not get a crown, its my front tooth for fricks sake. I feel like i messed up my front tooth for no reason. Its still sore like pre treatment.

top image with needle is right before I got my perm filling and the image below is the pre everything image. The darkish circle was the infection I guess.

so like, was it supposed to hurt that bad? Like was I supposed to feel my nerve being removed?

this situation gives me so much anxiety. Especially since my front teeth chip (despite good dental hygiene)so....

824C55DD-4B80-40A8-84AB-20385D1FC0F2.jpeg2446277D-71A1-4734-9A1C-CBE70969D8F9.jpeg

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luvlwiggo,

:welcome: Hello and welcome to DFC. So sorry you had a rough root canal procedure. :(. Sounds quite painful. I know I've had several. and only my first I felt. It is because he wasn't the most caring dentist and gave a limit of one shot of local which didn't cover it at all.. Every other dentist made sure they gave me enough and then I hadn't felt anything during them.

Did she stop at all and offer more anesthetic.? Usually coming from patients side of things a dentist will make sure you are not feeling pain before proceeding after a pt expresses pain or discomfort. I'm very sorry you had to go through that.

I would definately talk to her before the next appt if you do anything with her again, and come to agreement about a stop signal and more pain relief and let her know you are anxious about this. Do you think she would be receptive to that? I sure hope it starts feeling better for you!! Hope a dentist also answers :)

L

Luvlwggo

Luvlwiggo,

:welcome: Hello and welcome to DFC. So sorry you had a rough root canal procedure. :(. Sounds quite painful. I know I've had several. and only my first I felt. It is because he wasn't the most caring dentist and gave a limit of one shot of local which didn't cover it at all.. Every other dentist made sure they gave me enough and then I hadn't felt anything during them.

Did she stop at all and offer more anesthetic.? Usually coming from patients side of things a dentist will make sure you are not feeling pain before proceeding after a pt expresses pain or discomfort. I'm very sorry you had to go through that.

I would definately talk to her before the next appt if you do anything with her again, and come to agreement about a stop signal and more pain relief and let her know you are anxious about this. Do you think she would be receptive to that? I sure hope it starts feeling better for you!! Hope a dentist also answers :)

thank you. I actually want to see a dif dentist bc im feeling cold sensitivity and i just found out i shouldnt be. Worried