Did my dentist damage my gums unnecessarily?

L

Leafgreen

Dear Dentist,

Thank you in advance for your help. I have tried to prepare this email by looking up proper terms. I am a lay person.

In June 2009 a dentist performed the advanced cleaning procedure they identified as a full mouth debridement, 4355. The dentist also measured the distance between the enamel and the gum. This was painful as the measurement device pressed into what I assume was soft enamel or dentin.

The reason for my concern and my question here follows. Before the cleaning, my gums completely filled the gaps between my maxilla 7, 8, 9 and 10. After the cleaning, between 9 and 10, a 1.5 millimeter gap exists. And, between 9 and 8, and between 8 and 7, a 0.5 mm gap exists. In other words it appears that the dentist created gaps during the cleaning process, and accelerated the process of receding gums. :scared: I definitely had a lot of blood when I rinses after the cleaning. Did the dentist make a mistake?

The dentist recommended that I come back for the second part of the cleaning including having the undersides of my gums cleaned. Another dentist during another previous appointment recommended the same. Based on the apparent damage to my gums, I have ignored this. I have not had my teeth cleaned since.

Best wishes,
Leafgreen ;)

DrMike

DrMike

Verified dentist
Hello
I expect that the appearance of 'gaps' between the teeth was most likely caused by the removal of the calculus/tartar which was around the neck of these teeth. Once it is removed- it often then feels like gaps have appeared. Obviously it an essential part of the process of healing and recovery to remove it. I usually pre-warn patients that after a cleaning it may feel like the teeth are 'chipped' or that there are gaps. I also warn patients that the teeth may feel a bit more mobile for a while as the calculus which is causing the gum problem essentially spints the teeth together.
Its impossible to know without looking, but it is my guess that everything with your treatment is ok, and that this is what has happened.
Kind regards
Dr Mike

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kitkat Why did you choose your dentist? Share Your Fears and Cast Your Votes 14
M Poll: Is it bad that my dentist didn't use a rubber dam on me when he did my root canal? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 3
S Did the dentist rip me off/create an issue? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 2
Y I did it thanks to wonderful dentist Share Your Success Story! 2
O 1 Month Until 1st Cleaning with New Dentist that Did Front Teeth Fillings. Nervous. Support 6
D Why did the Dentist not take photo of cracked tooth? He only took X-rays. Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 5
T I did IV Sedation for 3 fillings today (UK, Private Dentist) Share Your Success Story! 1
A Dentist did NOT prescribe antibiotics after a root canal treatment?? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 6
F dentist did not fill cavitys Support 3
N Why did my dentist do this?? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 3
K Did dentist take wrong tooth Support 5
J Why did my dentist make me feel so bad? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 16
K My dentist did not cut out the abscess, and just prescribed antibiotics (?) Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 5
S Dentist did wrong teeth!!!! Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 2
D Did the dentist miss something? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 4
N Finding the right dentist did the trick! Share Your Success Story! 9
mikey boy How long did it take you to know your dentist was the one for you Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 12
L I went to the dentist to take care of a abcsess..he did a root canal first. Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 4
S I did it! After 16 years I actually went to the dentist!! Support 1
J Sedation did not work (dentist was gentle though) Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 1
L Did the dentist mess up? Support 3
P What did the dentist do to my teeth? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 10
T I did it I made a appointment with a new dentist Support 35
helpme! Did the student dentist do it right?? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 3
O How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? Support 18
J bad filling - did I get a bad dentist? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 3
N How did it come to this Support 4
P Why did my upper tooth extraction hurt? I felt it breaking out of the bone. Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 2
T Why did this happen? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 1
A Finally did it! So glad. Share Your Success Story! 5
S I did it! Support 4
L Did I actually need a root canal? ( Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 2
M I did it Share Your Success Story! 3
Freyja OMG i actually did it Share Your Success Story! 3
turtlelove What did I get myself into? Support 11
O I did it! Share Your Success Story! 5
O Something encouraging to share: Yesterday I did it. Share Your Success Story! 5
Susanne What did you eat after wisdom tooth extraction? Wisdom Teeth 7
E Did my filling fell out? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 3
_IHateTeeth_ It took 12 years for me to get my wisdom teeth out. I did it! Wizzie removal success stories 3
Punkerpants I finally did go... Support 5
M I did it! Share Your Success Story! 4
T What age did you finally face your phobia? Dental Phobia Discussion, News and Events 4
C Where did my post for advice go? Support 2
S I Finally Did It! Share Your Success Story! 7
E Dental Fear as a Parent - When did you bring your kids in for the first time? Support 11
S I did it! Share Your Success Story! 3
J Did my gum disease reappear? Ask a Dentist - For Nervous Patients only 1
Punkerpants I finally did it but... Support 10
I I did it!!! Three root canals in one appointment!! Share Your Success Story! 7