• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Didn't brush teeth at a younger age

S

Starfox8641

Hi! My name is Stephen and I'm frankly nervous of the Dentist. At a younger age I didn't brush my teeth so I've had cavities developing for a few years now. Although nothing hurts yet, I am petrified of going to the dentist because of being chewed out. Due to my case of ASD, more specifically Asperger's, I know I can't take the criticism well. Everytime a dentist is mentioned my heart drops from all the mistakes my past self has done, and sometimes I feel I shouldn't be held accountable for what stupid younger me did.

M

Mayo

Hi starfox. We all make mistakes in our younger years. And it's great that you're wanting to make some changes! I think you're right, we shouldnt be too hard on ourselves for how we treated our teeth as kids or before we knew better. Also, a good dentist shouldn't chew you out, but instead should help guide you to better habits. Would you feel comfortable asking around and seeing if your friends or family have a dentist they'd recommend?