• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Difference between dental anxiety and phobia

J

jennifersmith

Former Member
Many People often use the words “dental anxiety” and “ dental phobia” that to mean the same thing, but they are different. So, what is the difference between these two words?

Phobia is a specific form of anxiety which relates toward a specific item/subject, as opposed to other kind of anxieties (like general anxiety and panic attack) which do not correspond with a specific subject.
Dental fear is considered to be a kind of a phobia (anxiety of pain/injection...). As a dentist I can tell you that sometimes it is very difficult to pin-point what are the themes are (as if to say the entire dental environment is extremely threatening) and then it is more suitable to use the word dental anxiety.

Hi i have a fear about extractions im ok with check up and fillings :(

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me:

anxiety- turns me into a obsessive compulsive, pacing, sweaty palm, talking-to-myself, my whole life is on hold and my personality is erased til this is over. - disaster.

phobia - 100% instinct to run away. No thinking, no pacing, no looking back..just running away.

I think a phobia is a more extreme form of anxiety and you will avoid a phobic situation.

Back