• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Difficulty looking after my teeth/Depression

M

MGY

Hi all, I stumbled upon this forum and it seems like a very supportive, friendly place so I decided to post. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the support form or this one as I'm partly looking for some support/advice from those with anxiety but also have some specific dental questions in relation to that so apologies if I chose the wrong place.

Where do I start? I've suffered with depression since the age of 14 (I'm 26 now) and this has caused a serious lack of motivation when it comes to looking after myself. In particular, looking after my teeth. I have never been good at it. I'm sure I can't blame it all on depression, i'll hold my hands up to laziness and bad habits too. I have also suffered with OCD since I was a child. For most of my teens and early 20s I didn't brush properly (when I brushed at all) and unfortunately had a bit of a hack dentist who never even commented on the fact my gums were receding or that I had cavities. I found a new dentist 4 years ago who immediately gave me a rightly deserved lecture and I explained my issues with depression and he was as understanding as he could be. I needed 9 fillings, some very deep and over the years a couple of those teeth have needed additional fillings. One top tooth right at the back is almost all filling at this stage. I was terrified at that point because up until then I had never really given my teeth a thought as I had not really had pain until four years ago when I suddenly began to get pain after eating sweet things (fillings sorted that out). I was terrified I was going to lose my teeth. I remember sobbing and admitting to my poor new dentist that my gums had been bleeding after brushing for years and I just ignored it, being too scared to deal with it. He told me that while I had gum disease, which had caused some pretty bad gum recession, if I began to take care of them now I could halt it in it's tracks and at least stop it from getting worse and no, I would not lose my teeth.

At this point, my OCD took over and cleaning my teeth became an obsession for about a year. I would brush twice, sometimes three times a day. It would take me a good 10-15 minutes because I would brush very very slowly and gently, being sure to brush each tooth and very gently around each gum line. I would floss, use mouth wash and rinse after smoking (Yes on top of all this, I smoke heavily. Well done, me.) My gums stopped bleeding after brushing and while my sensitivity increased and experienced a few twinges here and there, my dentist felt there was definitely an improvement or perhaps more accurately, it was being managed effectively.

But then depression set in once more and it all went out the window. Over the last few years this has come and gone in cycles of brushing and then going for days without brushing. When at my lowest, I would binge eat chocolate and drink coke and all the things that are awful to leave in your mouth for such a long time. About 6 months ago, a new depression hit and was very severe and once again I began neglecting my teeth. Unfortunately, this depression has still not quite lifted and my anxiety is beginning to take over. Over the last couple of weeks I've really tried to get back into the routine of brushing & flossing but it's been very difficult, more difficult than before but it's a vicious cycle, the less I brush, the more I hate myself for not brushing and for the way my teeth look and the more I panic when I feel a twinge...

I'm terrified i've messed up big time and am now going to lose my teeth. I'm obsessing about it once more but instead of the at least productive obsession of before, I'm now finding myself awake at 4am examining my teeth in the mirror, looking at the dark brown intrinsic stains around my gum line, where my gums have receded so badly that on one tooth I can see the orange part right at the top. The white marks around the gum line. The brown between my teeth. I panic when the gum is sore if I brush gently. I notice the lack of enamel on my teeth and feel sick whenever I feel that twinge of sensitivity. I feel sick when I look at the dull yellowy-grey colour of my teeth and am scared to smile (Oh and by the way, I went ahead and picked a job where having bad teeth stops me getting work so i'm beating myself up for that, too). I keep trying to remind myself when I feel twinges of what my dentist told me before, that brushing properly will remove the food debris and plaque and leave certain areas exposed to temperature etc and not to panic unless I get a proper tooth ache or severe twinges/sharp pains. Even as i'm writing this i'm feeling nauseated because one of my bottom teeth is aching/twinging and about a year and a half ago I made an emergency appointment with the dentist because I'd felt this sudden deep deep twinge that terrified me that wasn't triggered by anything (the pain disappeared almost immediately and he said not to worry unless it happens again which it didn't) but now i'm scared that tooth is going to need to come out or something. My two top back teeth have been giving me a little grief for a while with dull aching (I have seen my dentist about this, had an x-ray and pulp test and it was ok) but I doubt myself with those particular teeth as I have sinus issues which often cause a similar feeling. However these two teeth have recently become more sensitive - one in particular if a small piece of food gets stuck round the back is very sensitive - although the pain is not overly sharp and does not last very long. This tooth is the one that is now almost all filling - the other day when I did brush I spat out tiny bits of metal from that tooth the same way you do when you have just had a filling.

Basically, all of my teeth are sensitive to some degree - I notice it at night if trying to sleep with my mouth open (cold air) and I am having constant weird twinges all over the shop which is always worse after brushing. And of course the more I obsess over it the more I then start to imagine twinges.

I'm terrified about going back to the dentist because I don't think I can handle seeing the disappointment in his eyes because i've screwed up yet again. I'm scared of what will be wrong. I'm scared i'll have to have teeth out. I'm scared i'm going to lose them all.

I'm trying to help myself and think of ways to help me get back into a routine - i've tried a lot of things over the years; setting the same time aside each day to do it, listening to music/watching tv etc But I was wondering if anyone has any other tips? I just want to be a normal human being and brush my teeth like everyone else. It seems like everyone else has beautiful teeth no matter what they eat or drink or whether they smoke and I find myself wondering what is wrong with me that I just can't do this insanely simple, basic thing for myself (especially when I actually want to do it!). I have also thought that it might be an idea to increase the amount of times I see the hygienist a year (usually twice) but I don't know if that's a good idea or how often I should go? Or if it will even help now?

I also wanted to ask what the signs are that something is seriously wrong because right now i seem to be panicking at every single sensation in my mouth and that in itself is making me ill. How do I know if gum disease and decay has progressed to the point that it's too late to stop it getting worse (I know I can't reverse the damage that has already been done). Am I going to lose my teeth? I have noticed this past week (which thankfully has been a better week in terms of brushing) that my gums are not bleeding now but they do if I neglect my teeth again for a while. I think I remember my dentist telling me that very progressed gum disease means your gums eventually stop bleeding so how do I know when they are getting better and when they are getting worse?! Should I be worrying about these tiny twinges here and there or given the circumstances is it just from sensitivity or my gums reacting to being looked after for once?
I also want to ask about flossing. Some of my teeth, particularly at the back are very very close together and I have a hard time flossing (when I do). Even my dentist and the hygienist said they could not get between those teeth.

Hi MGY, welcome to the forum!

I'm not a dentist so I can't help you with your dental questions, but just to say you have my sympathy and I'm sure there are people here who can help.

A lot of what you are describing here strikes me as as much about depression & OCD as it is about dentistry - self care can be a very difficult thing when you are depressed, looking after yourself is the last thing you want to do. Then if you get into a cycle of OCD and depression it can be even harder on top of that. You're doing really well to take action and come on here looking for help, that's a sort of self-care in itself and a great first step towards breaking the cycle, so well done :XXLhug:

Have you tried discussing this particular issue with whoever is treating your depression? Your doctor may be able to help you find ways of getting this aspect of self care back on track, while your dentist can help sort your teeth out - together the three of you could get things back under control, and you'll find plenty of support on here.

Hope this helps x

Hi MGY, Your definitely not alone in how you feel about teeth brushing and being sensitive about every twinge in your mouth. I have similar worries in that I brush my teeth when ever I get the opportunity 3 to 4 times daily and use all sorts of tepee brushes and floss. I worry I will get decay and need some kind of invasive treatment.

I feel I have had teeth removed unnecessarily, I grind my teeth and get fractures in root filled teeth. I have 6 monthly check-ups and scale and polish but feel that it isn't often enough, convinced my teeth have tartar and calculus. I have to stop myself contacting random hygienist's.

My dentist tells me my oral hygiene is excellent and I don't need to see him more than twice yearly but still i get toothache in my upper back teeth. One particular tooth bothers me at present, with pain that lingers for what feels like ages if I chew on it, so I chew on the other side. I'm not due a check up till July so will just put up with it. Its probably me grinding my teeth and I will feel so silly when he tells me there's nothing wrong.

I think I have a kind of dental OCD. I worry about how safe dentists are and ask far too many questions, even double checking their treatment plans with requests for referrals for opinion. To me it seems a must thing to do to check they are not doing anything unnecessary, it helps for a bit. It takes up a lot of my time thinking about teeth and dental things. I know that when I go for my check up, the anxiety gets worse and the cycle of checking and questioning starts over again.

I haven't discussed my anxieties with the dentist he just seems to put up with my checking and questioning, but I'm waiting or the letter that tells me he no longer wants to offer me dental care.

Your not alone :(

Thank you for the replies!

I suppose taking action is a form of self care - so I guess that is something! I have discussed this with my therapist who suggested setting specific times to brush my teeth every day and just to concentrate on that until it becomes habit. Unfortunately, if there's one thing i've learned it's that it only takes a day to break a habit :/

I've made an appointment to see my dentist next week, i'm due a check up anyway. Nervous about what the state the health of my mouth will be in when he looks but if he can at least look me in the eye and tell me "There's still time to prevent things from getting worse" I'll feel better so it's worth it. I know he wants to extract the tooth that is almost right at back - he's been saying that for 2 years - not because it needs to come out but because it will probably only last a few more years and if it's removed I can reach the tooth next to it and properly clean it (which i'm unable to do at the moment as it's so cramped) and save that one. I haven't agreed yet because I'm not sure i'm comfortable with removing teeth unless it's 100% necessary. Now i'm wondering if it might be a good idea.

I've noticed two of my teeth have shifted (I have one that moved toward the middle of my mouth last year and now the one next to it and the one next to that have moved to an angle. I've been having twinges around the gum around one of those teeth for the last couple of months - hoping that's what was causing the twinge. My bite is completely off now, though and i'm starting to worry that the most recent tooth to shift is going to get loose or push out my two front bottom teeth which now almost look like they are stuck together.

I managed to brush them properly today and there does not seem to be any bleeding from the gums today which i'm hoping is a good sign. Might post a pic if I can in a new thread later to see what people think before I see the dentist.

De8934, I know the torment of having to keep checking & rechecking and anxiety taking over. The funniest thing about OCD is that you can see it completely objectively when it's someone else but when it's you the anxiety is just too much to bear. I have been told many times that reassurance only makes the worrying worse and I know this to be true to some degree. You begin to get reliant on that reassurance and cannot relax without it on a constant basis. But it sounds to me like your oral hygiene is very good indeed and with regular check ups and trips to the hygienist, I doubt anything worrying would ever be missed (and i'd assume those regular visits and the way you take care of your teeth would mean any issue that may occur would be held back at a very mild level before it would get to the point of needing anything invasive) but I also know these words mean nothing as anxiety is like a two year old having a tantrum and just will. not. listen. It just keeps screaming at you.

I mentioned my issues to my dentist and he said you'd be surprised just how many people have similar problems - and far worse. That helped to ease my anxiety next time I went in because I wasn't trying to mask my anxiety any more (which makes you even more anxious!) and because he knows my issues he does his best to explain everything to me (although I do have to nudge him into being clearer. "Well, the overall health of your mouth is not good but.." "Not good? Not good as in bad but if you put your back into it things can get better or Not good your teeth have had it?!")

I suppose taking action is a form of self care - so I guess that is something! I have discussed this with my therapist who suggested setting specific times to brush my teeth every day and just to concentrate on that until it becomes habit. Unfortunately, if there's one thing i've learned it's that it only takes a day to break a habit :/

See, I'm not so sure about that - one day is a wobble, not a disaster. Even if you're managing two steps forward and one step back, that still further on than you were, and missing one day doesn't magically cancel out all the days you didn't miss.

You describe anxiety very well, I can totally relate to that! Especially the bit about the screaming child, I may have to steal that! It really is immune to logic isn't it? I've found CBT can help a bit as it forces me to talk sense at myself in a sort of structured way. Even just the act of writing it down can help sometimes - somehow when you see it in black & white it's easier to see how ridiculous it is.

Hope your appointment goes well next week - let us know how you get on!

Tink x

MGY: You sound like you have a really understanding dentist, I think mine is starting to understand what's going on with me. I don't feel comfortable telling him too much though, I feel such a freak about it.

It was good of your dentist to tell you that he has seen and heard worse, that would make me feel a little better cause I feel like I must be the worst patient my dentist has come across. It comes down to how the dentist and how they are with you, if you can find one thats kind, understanding and willing to take the time to know whats bothering you then your half way there.

:)

Back